IEEE 1394 port

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

IEEE 1394 port

• We have an Inspiron 8200.  It has one IEEE 1394 4 pin port but we do not know whether it is female or male (want to buy an adapter to change it to 6 pin to hook up Ipod).  I can't figure it out, thanks for any help. 
  • The port is female. The cable needs to be male.

• tutu wrote:
    We have an Inspiron 8200.  It has one IEEE 1394 4 pin port but we do not know whether it is female or male (want to buy an adapter to change it to 6 pin to hook up Ipod).  I can't figure it out, thanks for any help. 

Note that there are cables that connect a 4 pin to 6 pin w/o the need for an adapter.

With over 30,000 posts (through early 2007), Rickmktg hasn't bought a Dell computer since July 2005, but has bought two Lenovo laptops...   

http://www.rickmktg.com/delltalk.htm

• Thanks--the adapter is way cheaper but as I look at the laptop there doesn't seem to be sufficient clearance for the adapter & the two cards so we may need to go the cable route. 
  • be aware that the 4 pins won't supply power to the ipod

Latitude D430
    Dimension 9150
    Dell 1815dn Printer

• So does that mean I'm wasting my time even trying to convert the 4 pin to 6 pin?  should I just buy a card that comes with two 2.0 USB  ports like the Adaptec cardbus AUA 1420?   (the two USB ports that come with the Inspiron are 1.1).  In any case I got a 4pin male and it does not fit the laptop 4 pin--having never tried to use the 4 pin, could there be an insert or plug that needs to be removed first?  Thanks.

• tutu wrote:
    So does that mean I'm wasting my time even trying to convert the 4 pin to 6 pin?  should I just buy a card that comes with two 2.0 USB  ports like the Adaptec cardbus AUA 1420?   (the two USB ports that come with the Inspiron are 1.1).  In any case I got a 4pin male and it does not fit the laptop 4 pin--having never tried to use the 4 pin, could there be an insert or plug that needs to be removed first?  Thanks.

There is no insert or plug that has to be removed.  I would try the cable I suggested.

With over 30,000 posts (through early 2007), Rickmktg hasn't bought a Dell computer since July 2005, but has bought two Lenovo laptops...   

http://www.rickmktg.com/delltalk.htm

• But user "Nemesis DB" warns that the 4 pin won't power my Ipod.  If that's the case then I would assume using a cable that merely changes the 4 pin to a 6 pin won't power the Ipod either.  Is that correct? 
  • yes ... but you will be able to use it to transfer files and such though.  i don't know if ipods normally charge via the computer or not, but I assume you have another way to charge it?

Latitude D430
    Dimension 9150
    Dell 1815dn Printer

• Oh yes I can power the Ipod via the USB or a charger.  I'm glad you cleared this up.  I wanted to use the 4pin port to download music to my Ipod so it appears either the adapter (if I can find one) or cable will work.