Stuck in an infinite boot loop

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Stuck in an infinite boot loop

• Hi, 

A few days ago my laptop would not show any open programs or documents in the Windows Task Bar (at the bottom of the screen) This was so inconveniencing and frustrating since the only way I could know which applications were open, or swap between them, was to use the Windows Task Manager. So I tried to Repair Windows using the Windows XP Home Edition CD that came with my computer. I have repaired Windows twice before, and I've also done 4 clean Restores before (after I had carelessly installed dangerous programs). But now I’m stuck in an infinite Start-up boot loop, and can’t get out.:smileymad:  

Here is what I did. 

• I first uninstalled SP2 which was preventing the Windows XP CD from installing (the Windows XP CD has SP1a, and I had installed SP2 on my computer). 
    • I then booted from the Windows XP CD and selected Repair Present Software Installation from the console. 

After about 45 minutes the process was complete and computer said it was restarting. This is when the looping started. Instead of going to Windows logon screen, the computer kept looping back to –  

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this 

Here is what I’ve tried so far: 

1.       I’ve tried Starting the computer in all the given options on that screen – “Windows did not start successfully…... 

·          Safe Mode

·          Safe Mode with Networking

·          Safe Mode with Command Prompt

·          Last known good configuration

·          Start Windows Normally 

All I see is a blue screen that flashes swiftly for a split second, too fast for me to read what’s written on it. Then the Dell logo appears, with the white bar loading at the bottom of the screen. Then instead of going to the Windows logon screen, the computer loops back to the “Windows did not start successfully……”, to restart the infinite boot loop. At one time I left the computer on for 1.5 hours and found it still looping. 

2.     I’ve tried F8 at boot-up to go to Windows Advanced Options Menu screen. I tried starting the computer in all the given options on that screen. They all did not work. Whatever I choose, I'm taken back to that screen again - “Windows did not start successfully….”.

3.      I’ve tried F12 (Boot menu) and selected to boot from the CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive where I insert the Window XP CD. After the computer has prompts me to press any key to boot from CD, this message appears for about one second –  Setup is inspecting your computer’s hardware configuration…… – then the screen goes blank (or black rather). This black screen lasts forever. No key stroke can get me out of the black screen. I have to switch off the computer every time I want to stop.

4.    I’ve tried changing the device boot priority order in the BIOS. I put the CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive at the top and inserted the Windows XP CD in the drive, but this didn’t work either. After the computer has prompted me to press any key to boot from CD, this message appears for about one second – “Setup is inspecting your computer’s hardware configuration……” – then the screen goes blank (or black rather). This black screen lasts forever. No key stroke can get me out of the black screen. I have to switch off the computer every time I want to stop. 

There is no new hardware recently installed on my computer. There are no new programs/updates recently installed/downloaded on my computer. 

I have concluded that the computer cannot boot from the Internal HDD, or from the Microsoft Windows XP CD. Which actually means I cannot make a clean install. Or can I? 

I’m down, but not out (yet). :smileysad: Anyone to my rescue?

KC

• if you have access to another PC which has a CD burner then I suggest you slipstream your copy of XP with the network install of sp2.
    If you use autostreamer the process is painless. http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html

after you make your slipstreamed xp cd , do a repair install.