Is The Laptop AC Adapter Covered In Warranty?

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Is The Laptop AC Adapter Covered In Warranty?

• I've had my Inspiron 8200 for less than a year and the wire on the adapter is already splitting. It's actually splitting right on the end where it plugs into the computer. I've always been real careful with the adapter as I have heard horror stories in the past of how the plastic covering on the wire starts splitting apart exposing the wire itself. I checked it today and it's starting to break. Does anyone know if this is covered in the warranty?
  • Yes, call for a replacement.
  • AC adapters follow the same warranty as the system. Only the battery has different warranty. It only has a 1-year warranty starting from the invoice date of the system
  • Now where did you hear this from? Isn't the battery part of the system?
  • Though battery is part of the system, it is the only exception and follows a 1 year warranty. If you'd call tech support, they'd tell you that.
  • I'd like to see some documentation of this in Dell's warranty. I will also check my user guide which has pages about the warranty coverage. If it truly is only covered by a 1 year warranty, I will be mighty PO.

• The user guide for my 8500 says for the warranty that the warranty can be extended EXCEPT for the battery which is onlyh oovered for 1 yr

• Like it or not thats how it is.  Read your warranty.

Message Edited by johnallg on 11-12-2003 08:59 PM

• I would imagine that it is like that for more laptop manufacturers.  Batteries have a limited life... usually far shorter than that of the device they are used in.... EXCEPT... when 5 year olds have access to that device. 

• robertm. wrote:

I'd like to see some documentation of this in Dell's warranty. I will also check my user guide which has pages about the warranty coverage. If it truly is only covered by a 1 year warranty, I will be mighty PO.

Then read your warranty and get PO'd... 

With over 30,000 posts (through early 2007), Rickmktg hasn't bought a Dell computer since July 2005, but has bought two Lenovo laptops...   

http://www.rickmktg.com/delltalk.htm

• Well I'll be damned it's on page115 of my Inspiron 8200 manual. I did not know that the battery was not covered by the extended warranty. I'm going to knock on wood hoping that this battery will last me a while.
  • My Dell I8500 manual says that the battery is generally good for at least 300 charge/discharge cyles.  If your 8200 has the built in battery guage press and hold the button on the battery for at least 3 sec if any lights still remain that means your battery's health is slowly decling more lights means more trouble.
  • I tried this on my battery and the leds go out after about 7 secs, none remained on.  It only lasts me 40 minutes though.  Of course it is 2 1/2 years old!