Dell XPS15 9560 charging status LED is blinking orange / white - General Hardware - Laptop - Dell Community

Dell XPS15 9560 charging status LED is blinking orange / white

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell XPS15 9560 charging status LED is blinking orange / white

This question is not answered

hello all,

i have a problem with my XPS15 since receiving it. All is well, but sometimes the charging status LED is blinking with the following pattern: 

3 orange, 5 white, 3 orange, 3 white

Does anyone knows what it means? I already had a technician who visited and replaced the motherboard and battery, but the problem is still here.

On top of that, my idle temp is not dropping under 45 celsius, and CPU under load goes over 90 celsius. I'm pretty sure that is not normal, and i believe the technician who replaced the motherboard did a poor job repasting the CPU and GPU with thermal compound.

Can you please share what are your temperatures for this model (9560 i7 7700HQ) ?

All Replies
  • Wow, interesting.  Maybe the Logitech devices are a key to what's going wrong.  So far three of us have a Logitech device plugged in when it happens.

• As an update, this issue hasn't popped up on my laptop in about a month.  Maybe a driver/BIOS update fixed it?

• having the same issue on the 9560 with charging status LED  blinking 3 orange, 5 white, 3 orange, 3 white.  and I also have a logitech unifying device plug in.  I have the latest drivers/bios.  I will try to remove the logitech device and see what happens.

• I am having the same problem on my 9560. I have latest drivers/bios. The problem occurs when booting the system from a full shutdown state.

• Same thing! This has been happening since June roughly! Same exact model and make! Also, it happens randomly, not always and definitely only when booting from the battery! Never from ac as that will fix the booting.

• Hey guys. This happened to me first time last night. I didn't pay attention to the led blinking pattern and the issue only happened once so far. I also have the logitech receiver plugged in all times. I own a M510 wireless mouse. I ran the Dell pre boot assessment and it found no problems. I will reply to this thread if I come up with anything new.

• Hi All. I have also noticed the weird blinking today. Unfortunately, I did not notice the exact pattern. And you know what, Logitech Unified Receiver (for my keyboard K360) was plugged into my xps 9560. Lid was open, charger was connected and laptop was completely turned off. And yes, I was unable to turn it on the first attempt. I tried two or three more times with and without connected charger until I succeeded. Battery was also completely charged all this time.

Had never seen such blinking before. So, looks like it's because of the connected Logitech Unified Receiver.

In any case, I'm going to update my BIOS to v.1.4.0 (as of Sept. 1, 2017) and then see how it will go afterwards.

• Update of BIOS from 1.3.4. to 1.4.0 didn't work - issue persists, 3 amber and 5 white blinks. Hope Dell will fix the issue with next BIOS update.

• Strangely, the problem hasn't happened to me for at least 1.5 months now.  Maybe Dell will finally look into it since more people are having the problem.

In the meantime, we could post driver/BIOS versions (even though driver versions probably don't make a difference during bootup).

Here are mine (the problem seems gone):

BIOS: 1.3.4

HID-Compliant Mouse: 10.0.15063.0

Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller: 10.0.15063.296

USB Root Hub (USB 3.0): 10.0.15063.502

System Firmware: 10.0.15063.0

These are from the Logitech dongle (etched into metal, hard to read):

Dongle M/N: O-U0007 or C-U0007

Dongle S/N: 17532DJA-DJ

The Logitech dongle seems to be key to all of this.  Too much of a coincidence.

-- Michael

• One more thing...this may sound crazy, but when the problem happens, do you try to type on the wireless keyboard or move the wireless mouse?  Maybe try removing/replacing the unified receiver dongle?

• I am also having this problem.

Only happens on battery, and I have a Logitech wireless dongle plugged in.

• NEW HERE TO THE POST

I just received a refurbished XPS 15 9560 from Dell,. I had an XPS 15 9550 that had issues...after 3 service repairs and sending it away to Dell's repair site, they actually decided to send me a new one because the parts being on back order.

Anyway, I was using it today with no issues.

At the end of work, I Shutdown the computer.

I was plugged into the battery at work and I did have multiple devices connected to it (2 monitors - HDMI & VGA from thunderbolt adapter) and USB hub that has my Microsoft Arc mouse connected).

When I got home, I did not have anything attached when I turned it on.

When it didn't come on, I plugged in the charger.

Now I notice when I turn the power button on, the screen stays blank, no post, and then after 10 or 15 seconds it starts blinking amber and white on the front edge of laptop.

It seems this is the same issue everyone else is experiencing.

Now I did Not have a wireless mouse plugged in at the time of occurrence.

I contacted Dell to troubleshoot but it seems that will do me no good.

Ugh 2 laptops in 2 months! I will have to let them know to check this forum. I'll try my best to push the. To fix this issue we are seeing.

Also, I video taped the problem in case we need proof.

I will report back with any updates.

Thanks

• Guys, you will not believe what just happened...

So I let it sit for about 10 min on the charger.

I gave it a few 4 finger taps on the palm rests and the thing started to Post!?..

Now it's on.

I should not have to hit my laptop to turn it on....

• I've been running smoothly for 2 days now.

After I got into Windows, I made sure to update all drivers from Dell's website.

I shutdown twice so far and have not encountered the issue.

Hopefully, this doesn't happen again!

• Issue still persists after upgrading BIOS to v.1.5.