New XPS 13 (9333) Constant Noise

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

New XPS 13 (9333) Constant Noise

This question is answered

I have just recently received a new XPS 13 with the new haswell i7 processor, 8gb RAM, 256gb ssd, and windows 8.1.

I really like this laptop, but it makes a really bizarre noise. It happens constantly as soon as its powered on, like a high pitched whirring sound from somewhere beneath the keyboard. It also seems pretty inconsistent, like it flickers in frequency, and when you use programs (e.g scroll through webpages) it gets louder.

Can anyone help me with what the issue is here? Any help appreciated.

All Replies
  • Hello, I have the same issue.

It is not a fan noise. It is coming from near the right usb 3.0 port (near the mini-DP). The noise will come if I use the backlit on the keyboard or if a low-power usb device (like a usb key) is plugged in. Strangely enough, when I plugged an external hard drive the coil whine is gone.

Could it be a grounding issue?

Anyway, a tech is supposed to come and replace the keyboard so we'll see.

Also, is it me or the Dell Quickset64 driver (win8.1) is causing a huge input lag on the keyboard? I formatted and reinstalled windows and when I installed this driver, I got a huge latency on the keyboard.When I uninstall it, everything is good. Got a few BSOD with DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE when waking from sleep too.

• Vaub

Hello, I have the same issue.

It is not a fan noise. It is coming from near the right usb 3.0 port (near the mini-DP). The noise will come if I use the backlit on the keyboard or if a low-power usb device (like a usb key) is plugged in. Strangely enough, when I plugged an external hard drive the coil whine is gone.

Could it be a grounding issue?

Anyway, a tech is supposed to come and replace the keyboard so we'll see.

Also, is it me or the Dell Quickset64 driver (win8.1) is causing a huge input lag on the keyboard? I formatted and reinstalled windows and when I installed this driver, I got a huge latency on the keyboard.When I uninstall it, everything is good. Got a few BSOD with DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE when waking from sleep too.

My guess is it's a grounding issue. I now can hear it with the keyboard backlight off, but it's definitely not as loud as when it's on.  Mine just came Saturday so I refuse to let them try to fix a brand new system. A brand new system should not have to be repaired. The only reason why I haven't set up an exchange yet is because it seems to be a common problem and the chance of another unit having th eissue at this point is high so I will keep an eye on this thread and hopefully they figure out what the issue is before my return period is over.  @DELL-Terry B Please keep us posted as to what Dell finds about this issue

• Ok, I DEFINITELY think it's a grounding issue which actually could be dangerous and could result in someone getting shocked if it is a grounding issue:

• With Keyboard Backlight on: High pitched electrical interference sound
    • With Keyboard Backlight off: High pitched sound still present, just not nearly as loud as it is with the KB light on
    • Plugged my phone into the USB (both left and right side USB) with the Keyboard backlight on and the high pitched sound gets lower like as if the KB backlight was off.  As soon as I unplug the phone from the USB the high picthed loud noise comes back a couple seconds later
    • Plugged my Tablet into the USB (both left and right side USB)  and had the same effect as my phone. 

• I think you're right - there might be some electrical issue.

I've had this irritating whining noise too. I also found there seemed to be a link between the backlight and the noise, but unlike others here it very consistently stopped a second or so after the keyboard backlight went from off to fully lit (the backlight cycles through from full - half - off - full with the Fn + F6 keys).

I'm now typing on a perfectly quiet machine -  CPU 3% @ 0.79 GHz, 3 of 8 GB RAM used, 0% disk, 0% WiFi and it has been for a while now - the keyboard is fully lit.

If I press Fn + F6 once from a fully lit state the keyboard dims slightly and the whining really starts. In a quiet room this is incredibly annoying.

If I press Fn + F6 once again to disable the keyboard backlight the whining is still present, but slightly quieter/lower pitched although still enough to annoy.

I'm using a USB mouse in the left USB port and fortuitously I had plugged my phone (Nokia Lumia 800) into the other port to transfer some music. This made a big difference. Having the phone plugged into either USB port and drawing power, with or without the mouse in the other port seems to have alleviated the problem and the machine is as quiet as you could hope. I can now cycle though all the keyboard backlight states and the machine is quiet.

Summary:

Keyboard backlight full - no whining

Keyboard backlight half or off - high-pitched whining

Keyboard backlight full, half or off + phone charging - no high pitched whining

Can anyone replicate these findings?

• Kuqiki - I had the same issue of the noise and backlight phases shifting too - I just wrote about how the light being on full made the noise disappear, then did a reboot and now it makes most noise with the backlight on full and is quiet when the backlight is off...

Plugging in the phone to charge still makes the noise stop (or at least it's no longer audible). 

I forgot to mention that I have the i7 256GB SSD model.

• Dell techs replaced the MB and SSD again today with noise persisting. They have escalated the matter and advised Dell will contact me about a replacement.

CC

• I have received a call from Dell confirming a replacement unit is to be arranged. Here's hoping there's no noise on that one!

Upon receipt of the replacement, the faulty unit is to be returned to the L2 tech for inspection and diagnosis.

CC

• So, in conclusion, so what is the solution? Call Dell and plan a change of motherboard?

Thanks

• vaub in the owners lounge in the notebook review forum claimed a tech came and they discovered the high pitched sound is coming from a coil by the USB 3.0 port.

See his post here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/742059-xps-13-9333-haswell-owners-lounge.html#post9519966

Also many users of the XPS 15 also seem to have the same issue and have called it "coil whining", I also looked at the older model's owner's lounge and read a few people had the same thing with the older model.

Here is a thread that was for the older model with people complaining of the same thing: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19500507.aspx?pi239031352=1

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19503698.aspx?pi239031352=1

other models:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19510702.aspx

• Captain_Colossus

I have received a call from Dell confirming a replacement unit is to be arranged. Here's hoping there's no noise on that one!

Upon receipt of the replacement, the faulty unit is to be returned to the L2 tech for inspection and diagnosis.

CC

Fingers crossed! Please let us know if there's still any issues persisting with your replacement unit.

• So, after a tech came in, we think the problem is from a coil whine near the USB3.0 port http://sdrv.ms/1aLBHbZ

Maybe it's not that, but the noise came from there even after removing the wireless/ssd and changing the keyboard.

I also had speakers problem (rattle in higher-mid and would randomly disconnect) so they're taking it to Dell depot... no laptop for a week.

• Same spec, same problem

Although the noise goes when I turn the backlight on

• Thank all of you again for posting here and bringing this to our attention.  I know that Dell engineering is in the process of getting at least one system from the field to the labs for testing.  Please continue to post here if you notice any abnormal sound coming from the notebook.  Please also include if you have had a service completed and the outcome of the service.

I will likely continue to reach out to many of your via friend requests and private messages.  I will be able to help with possible services if needed.

Thank all of you again, and have a great weekend.

TB

(Liaison for Laptops, Mobile Devices)
    Look for me on Twitter and LinkedIn.
    #iwork4Dell
    Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

• Hi Everyone,

I'm suffering from the same "coil whine". As many of you noticed, it changes pitch upon switching the backlit of the keyboard on or off.

A dell technician already replaced my motherboard, but that has not changed much. I really hope it is a grounding problem that can easily be solved, because this laptop is actually very nice to work with(except for that irritating whine of course).

Enjoy your weekend,

Reinout

• Hi,

I have the i5 version of the developer edition. I can also confirm the whining noise. It increases dramatically if the keyboard back lighting comes on.

Thanks.