Problems with drivers after clean install of Win7

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Problems with drivers after clean install of Win7

This question is not answered

Hello, everyone.

After performing a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) on my Inspiron N4030, I am now in the process of installing drivers found on this page:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/inspiron-14-n4030

Some of them are installing just fine, but others are simply not installing no matter how many solutions I try to implement. In particular, the "Network" and "Mouse, Keyboard & Input Devices" are failing to install. The computer is failing to recognize its networking hardware, and I am unable to to use the laptop's touchpad.

I am hoping others have encountered this problem and may be able to guide through me it. Please let me know if further information would be helpful.

Thanks,

Brian

All Replies
  • www.dell.com/.../ArticleView

Paul

• Hello, Paul.

Thank you for replying to my post, but I am already familiar with that link, and I have been trying to follow it very carefully. However, the problems persist.  :(

• Hi Brian,

The link you are trying is correct for installing the drivers.

Please provide the hardware IDs for the missing drivers to help me find the correct drivers for your system. The steps are

• In ‘Device Manager’, right click the device.
    • Click ‘Properties’.
    • Click ‘Details’.
    • Search for ‘Device Instance ID’.
    • Provide the numbers after VEN and DEV.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist you further.

Thanks & Regards
    Kuldeep M
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region USA; India. For helpful Dell Support Videos, you may click Here.

• Brian91939

Hello, Paul.

Thank you for replying to my post, but I am already familiar with that link, and I have been trying to follow it very carefully. However, the problems persist.  :(

Try booting into Safe Mode and re-install the NSS again and then the chipset driver.

If that does not work, you will need to re-install Windows and follow the directions in that link.

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - XP SP3 / Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7

• Hello, Kulldeep. Thank you for your help. I hope I followed your instructions correctly. Here is the information you requested:

Ethernet Controller

VEN_1969

DEV_2062

Network Controller

VEN_14E4

DEV_4727

PCI Simple Communications Controller

VEN_8086

DEV_3B64

I will note two other things: the touchpad does not appear at all in the device manager, and I could not find any of the details on the keyboard, which does appear in the device manager. The "Fn" buttons (e.g., lowering and increasing screen brightness) are not working.

Thanks,

Brian

• Hello, ieee488.

Thanks for the reply to my post. I will try out your advice as a last resort!

• Hi Brian,

The touchpad isn't appearing because you haven't installed the touchpad drivers.

The Wireless network drivers need to be installed before the Touchpad drivers.

The Ethernet network drivers need to be installed before the wireless drivers.

The PCI issue is the Intel Management Engine, which is one of the 1st drivers that should of been installed

It does seem like you haven't followed that link properly and if you end up going round in circles then you will need to re-install the OS and start from scratch.

These are the devices based on the Vendor / Dev Ids

Ethernet (Atheros)

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/uk/en/ukdhs1/DriverDetails/Product/inspiron-14-n4030?driverId=M8RM5&osCode=W764&fileId=2731095717&languageCode=en&categoryId=NI 

WLAN

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/uk/en/ukdhs1/DriverDetails/Product/inspiron-14-n4030?driverId=TTW58&osCode=W764&fileId=3176083194&languageCode=en&categoryId=NI

Intel Management engine

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/uk/en/ukdhs1/DriverDetails/Product/inspiron-14-n4030?driverId=DPN8F&osCode=W764&fileId=2731094231&languageCode=en&categoryId=CS 

Touchpad

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/uk/en/ukdhs1/DriverDetails/Product/inspiron-14-n4030?driverId=PVVGC&osCode=W764&fileId=2731095679&languageCode=EN&categoryId=IN 

Paul

• Hello, Paul.

I am in agreement with you.  I can see now why I am having so much trouble. However, I cannot find the Quickset application among the drivers for my laptop:

www.dell.com/.../ArticleView

Since it was not in the list, I assumed it was not necessary and passed over to the next item on the list. Do you know what I mean? Any advice?

Thanks,

Brian

• Hi Brian,

Apologies for that, ignore the Quickset reference they are not needed for your system.

Install Dell System software 1st

www.dell.com/.../inspiron-14-n4030

Install the Intel management engine

Then the card reader

then the storage matrix

Then Audio

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/uk/en/ukdhs1/DriverDetails/Product/inspiron-14-n4030?driverId=3CXC2&osCode=W764&fileId=2731101043&languageCode=EN&categoryId=AU 

Then Video (intel first then discrete if applicable)

Then Ethernet (use link i gave you earlier)

Then Wireless (use link I gave you earlier)

Then Bluetooth

Then touchpad (use link i gave you earlier)

Then the last 3 if applicable to your set up

14. Dell wireless mobile broadband card drivers (if available)

15. Modem drivers (if available)

16. Dell Digitech touch screen driver (if available)

Paul

• Thanks, Paul. I will get all that right away, and I will let you know how it went once finished.

• Hey, Paul. I did another clean install of Win7 and began installing the drivers per your directions. Everything was going smoothly until I had to install the "Wireless" drivers. There was a setup error:

"No compatible hardware found. The software you are attempting to install is not supported on this system. The sotware will not be installed. Setup will no exit."

I encountered this same error when I was installing the drivers on my own.

Any guidance, guys?

-Brian

• www.dell.com/.../inspiron-14-n4030

Paul

• Thanks, Paul. I ran the drivers, but all they did was unzip fills and transfer them onto my computer. No actual installation took place. Was that intended? I'll continue with the rest of the drivers on the list.

• Run the setup.exe

Paul

• Ah, thanks. I ran the installation, but it's now asking me to turn on the "Wireless Switch." I'm assuming that's Fn + F2, but as I said before, that is not working right now. I'm sorry, Paul!