Dell Inspiron 3520 Internal Disk not Found

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Dell Inspiron 3520 Internal Disk not Found

This question is answered

In the morning the pc was working just fine, i turned it off and then back on to change to a another operating system. Instead of taking me to the boot options it took me to a black screen saying;

intenal hard disk drive not found

to resolve this issue, try to reseat the drive.

No bootable devices--strike F1 to retry to boot, F2 enter Setup Menu, F5 enter PSA

I didnt did anything to the pc, it was just sitting in the table and so I doubt it may be related to the hardware as several forums say.

When I enter the BIOS it says on Fixed HDD; ST500LM012 HN-M500MBB                                              (500 Gb)

Here the details of the computer

Dell Inspiron 15N 3520

Windows 8 (with 8.1 Preview and Ubuntu)

uses UEFI

Core I5 2.5 GHz

4GB DDR3 Ram

500 GB of HDD (i think it has a 32GB SSD cache)

Please help, i have tried reading all over the internet and trying everything  that does not require opening the device (the device is new and is not easy as I would like it to be).

Can anyone tell me what to do or if it can be saved without any hardware change? It only has about 2 months and  i have important information inside (yeah no back up...)

Verified Answer
  • Hi joseph97svl,

Thank you for the update.

Since the HDD is detected in the BIOS and also the test passed, the hardware is functioning as designed. I suspect it is a software issue and you may consider restoring the system using the recovery discs.  Follow the instruction given in the following link to restore the system using the recovery media:

http://dell.to/12Z2Lkq  

In case the recovery discs are not created, send me a private message with the system service tag to assist you further.  Please click on my name and click Start Conversation to send me a private message.

Thanks and Regards,
    Sujatha K
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US / India . For Dell support videos click here.

All Replies
  • Hi joseph97svl,

I am sorry about the inconvenience.  
    I request you to check if the HDD is detected in the BIOS. Restart the system and at the Dell logo tap F2 key every two seconds. Check what is listed for Fixed HDD.

In case the HDD is detected in the BIOS, run diagnostics on the hardware components of the system. Refer to the following link to run diagnostics:

http://dell.to/OUGnqT

Reply with the status to assist you further.

Thanks and Regards,
    Sujatha K
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US / India . For Dell support videos click here.

• I checked in the BIOS and it is listed, I also ran the diagnostics and it said it passed all the tests.

• Hi joseph97svl,

Thank you for the update.

Since the HDD is detected in the BIOS and also the test passed, the hardware is functioning as designed. I suspect it is a software issue and you may consider restoring the system using the recovery discs.  Follow the instruction given in the following link to restore the system using the recovery media:

http://dell.to/12Z2Lkq  

In case the recovery discs are not created, send me a private message with the system service tag to assist you further.  Please click on my name and click Start Conversation to send me a private message.

Thanks and Regards,
    Sujatha K
    #iworkfordell

• So what if it says 0 in bios for fixed HDD

• Unplug the system, remove the battery and disconnect and reconnect the hard drive. If that doesn't get the drive to be seen, it's toast and will need to be replaced.