Dell Vostro Laptop Keyboard Problems

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Dell Vostro Laptop Keyboard Problems

This question is not answered

When I type correspondence on my Dell laptop, I frequently have an additional space between words. That would seem to indicate a problem with the settings on the space-bar, but I've set it up for the least sensitivity. Is there anything else I can do the reduce or eliminate this problem?

All Replies
  • Hi Otownjer,

Let’s try the following steps and see if it works.

Try to change the keyboard settings:

Click on Start -> Control Panel -> Ease of Access -> Ease of Access Center -> Make the keyboard easier to use and uncheck all the options. Click on ‘Apply’ -> Ok. Restart the computer and check.

Alternatively, check the on screen keyboard:

• Press and hold the Windows key and press 'R' key. This will open the run window
    • Type 'OSK' without the parenthesis, click on 'Ok'
    • Use the on-screen keyboard and check if you face the same issue (use the mouse/touchpad to use the on screen keyboard)

If the above steps do not work, then check in Safe mode:

• Power off the computer
    • Restart the computer, tap F8 on Dell logo 2-3 times
    • This will take you to ‘Windows Advanced Boot Options’
    • Choose ‘Safe Mode’ in the Advanced Boot menu (use ‘up’ or ‘down’ arrow keys to highlight the option, press ‘enter’ to select)
    • When Windows finishes loading in Safe mode, check if the keyboard responds properly

If the issue persists, please reply with the operating system installed on your computer.

Hope this helps.

Fusion 25792420

Thanks & Regards,
    Appu S
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell’s Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Orders & Dispatch status -> choose your region USA, India. For Dell Support Videos, click Here.

• I tried unchecking all of options on the "ease of access" center and also used the screen keyboard and booted the computer in the safe mode. I had the keyboard replaced by a Dell technician, too. The problem isn't as bad, but still exists to some degree. My operating system is Windows 7 Professional.

• Hi Otownjer,

Do you face this issue with any particular application?
    I would suggest you to use different applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Notepad and check if the issue persist.

Please reply if you have any questions.

Thanks & Regards,
    Appu S
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell’s Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Orders & Dispatch status -> choose your region USA, India. For Dell Support Videos, click Here.

• The problem occurs with both Word and the notepad; I don't use Excel very much so I don't know if that program represents a problem. I typically only use the laptop when I travel and I have not been traveling this week. I'll use the laptop tonight to see if the problem continues. It appears to be less of an issue since the keyboard was replaced and I made the changes you've suggested.

• Hi Otownjer,

Thank you for the response. In addition, I would also suggest you to use browsers like Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and check. Please keep me posted on the status.

Let me know in case you have any further questions.

Thanks & Regards,
    Appu S
    #iworkfordell