2-1 Beep code Dell Inspiron 1521

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

2-1 Beep code Dell Inspiron 1521

This question is not answered

I loaned my Dell Inspiron 1521 laptop to my daughter so she could do a report for college. When I got it back and turned it on the screen is black and there was at first one beep, I waited 15 minutes to see if the computer would load and nothing happened so I turned it off by pressing the power button. I waited a couple minutes and turned it back on, now instead of one beep I am getting beep beep a short pause and then one more beep (all beeps are short.) This time I left the computer on almost an hour to see if anything would happen and again after the beeps nothing happened. What does this mean?

All Replies
  • Hi MetalGoddess73,

The beep codes do not indicate a failure. This system LED indicators. 

If you simply turn on the computer, you might see the above indicators flashing in a sequence. Make a note of the sequence. You may refer to the following information of the diagnostics indicators:

Alternatively, you may Drain the residual power from the laptop:

• Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives,printers, external hard drives) from the computer
    • Then remove the adapter and the battery
    • Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds
    • Reconnect the battery and the adapter
    • Try to restart the computer and check

Please reply if you any questions. 

Thanks & Regards,
    Appu S
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell’s Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Orders & Dispatch status -> choose your region USA, India. For Dell Support Videos, click Here.

• Hi MetalGoddess73,

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please write back. Other community members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks & Regards,
    Appu S
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell’s Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Orders & Dispatch status -> choose your region USA, India. For Dell Support Videos, click Here.

• i am having a similar issue, laptop has been working fine tried to turn it on this morning and nothing except for the power light which turned off a couple of seconds later. when i hold the power button for 10 seconds all three lock lights come on solid for about 10 seconds and off. any ideas the sequence of flashing previously dont seem to match my situation.  

• HI Phil_in trou,

May I know the exact system model no of the computer.

As you have already tried to drain the residual power of the computer and the issue persists, the might be an issue with the motherboard. You may try to connect an alternate AC Adapter and check. Else, the motherboard might have to be replaced.

Thanks & Regards,
    Appu S
    #iworkfordell

• dell inspirion 1521 amd 64 bit x2, i also noticed when the function and power button clicked together three led stay on for ten seconds. is it a possibilty that the cmos battery is dead or is that a different light sequence

• HI Phil_in trou,

This doesn't seem to be an issue with the CMOS battery. The symptoms indicate a possible motherboard failure and may have to be replaced.

Thanks & Regards,
    Appu S
    #iworkfordell

• one more question and i will try and find a motherboard. is there a list of light sequences and there meaning for a dell inspirion 1521 on a website somewhere. 

• Hi Phil_in trou,

The information that I have shared is relevant pertaining to this system. I was able to find this website http://bit.ly/Etymh where the information seems to be relevant. Although, this is not a Dell website.

Thanks & Regards,
    Appu S
    #iworkfordell

• Hi,

Firstly i just wanted to say thank you for all your help. i came across this information myself, the problem i have does not seem to be listed in any of these sites the LED on my laptop remain solid not blinking which does not match up with any of the sequences shown on that page.

Thanks again for your help,

Philip.  

• Hi Philip,

I understand that. Sometimes, we may not find the exact sequence. This may be due to some other parts failure on the motherboard.

Although this seems to be an issue with the motherboard. You may try re-seating the memory modules once. Its worth giving a shot.

Remove all the memory modules from the computer. Then put one RAM at a time in one slot and check if there is any change. Ensure that you check in all the available slots with just one RAM. You may refer to the Service Manual http://bit.ly/VdHs0a. Please ensure to follow safety instructions

Thanks & Regards,
    Appu S
    #iworkfordell

• I'm working on an Inspiron 1521. When I turn the computer on, the left and right lights are off while the middle light flashes for less than a minute then the computer turns off. 

I removed both memory modules and turned on. The left light is on solid and the middle and right lights flash. The above post says this means "No Ram," which is true in this case.

I moved the memory module from DIMM B and put it in DIMM A and left DIMM B empty. I turned the computer on and, again, the left and right lights remain off while the middle light flashed for less than a minute then the computer turned off. It seems unlikely that both memory modules would go bad at the same time. Do both DIMM sockets need to be filled? If not, what is going on?

Also, I have already replaced the CMOS battery even though it was hard to find a replacement part. If Dell is going to wrap these standard watch batteries in plastic and add connectors then they should provide replacement parts.

• So how do you fix this?   I now have 2 Dell's with black screens?? They just beep when you turn them on.  You can hear the computer start up and windows music opening......