Inspiron 15R (5521) screen gone blank

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Inspiron 15R (5521) screen gone blank

This question is not answered

Hi,

I recently purchased a new Dell Inspiron 15R laptop (Inspiron 5521) online. It came with Windows 8 OS and Intel 3rd gen Core i5-3317U CPU and Intel HD Graphics. After just two months of usage its screen has gone blank. It shows nothing on the screen. I tried to troubleshoot with no success. It happened when the laptop was idle for sometime and the screen went off. After that I could not see anything on the screen (even Dell logo) when I tried to restart it.

1. As suggested on other threads I tried to run Diagnostics (by pressing 'D' and Power button). There is nothing shown on the screen

2. Tried to bring up the System setup by pressing F2 immediately after pressing Power button. Nothing shown on the screen. After sometime the Power LED went off.

3. Tried to bring up the Diagnostics menu by pressing F12 immediately after pressing Power button. Again nothing shown on the screen.

This model does not have a VGA port so I could not connect to a separate monitor. Please help me.

Thanks

All Replies
  • Hi newdelluser,

I must appreciate the ease with which you are handling this technical issue on your computer. Please try the below mentioned steps to identify the pproblem:

1. Remove all the external peripherals, the power cable and battery from the laptop, press and hold the power button for 20 seconds. This process will drain all the static energy from the computer.
    2. Power on the laptop with only the battery plugged in or only the power cable to check if it is a problem with battery or AC adapter.
    3. Now try running diagnostics by switching on the laptop computer by tapping F12 at dell logo to enter “One-time boot menu”.
    4. If the F12 option is not working for laptop then try running diagnostics by press and holding the Fn button and power on the laptop and select diagnostics from the list. If the diagnostics displays an error, please reply with the right error message.
    5. If unable to run the diagnostics check for beep sound or flashing lock lights when the system is turned on. Also check the status and color of power button light,

Please reply the results.

Thanks & Regards,
    Nikhil D
    #iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; India Customers. For Dell Support videos click Here

• Thanks Nikhil for the suggestions. Here are the results.

1. I removed all the external peripherals including battery and power cable. I pressed and held Power button for 20 seconds.

2. a) switched on the laptop with only the power cable connected (without battery).

b) removed the power cable and repeated step 1

c) switched on the laptop with only the battery (no power cable)

I did not see anything on the screen

3. I skipped the third step in your post because I did not see anything on the screen in step 2

4. Ran Diagnostics by pressing and holding Fn button and powering on the laptop. Again there is nothing visible on the screen. But I heard beep sounds. First the beeps (three beeps if I am correct) are 3-4 seconds apart, i.e, first beep - 3 sec gap - second beep - 3 sec gap - third beep. After that I heard three beeps continuously, then a gap of few seconds - again three beeps continuously - then gap and so on. It stopped beeping after a minute or so.  The power indicator is stable in white color (no flashing). But when I heard the second set of beeps the light on Caps lock key was flashing in sync with the beeps.

I tried one more thing: inserted a bootable Ubuntu CD in DVD drive and restarted the laptop. I did not see anything again. Don't know if the first bootable device is set to DVD drive.

I don't know if this helps in diagnosing the issue. But I am really afraid that my laptop screen is dead. I don't see anything no matter what I do. The only thing that's giving some response is the Fn+Power button combination.

Thanks

• Hi newdelluser,

Ideally, 3 beeps indicate a possible motherboard failure. Please use the following link to check your computer Warranty status:  http://tinyurl.com/5r4b8j

If the system warranty is active, please private message the system service tag, contact number and registered owner’s name.

To private message, click on my user name, click Add as friend and click start conversation. 

If the warranty of the computer is inactive, we would be able to provide limited support, which will not cover part replacement, software support and onsite technician.

Awaiting your response!

Thanks & Regards,
    Nikhil D
    #iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; India Customers. For Dell Support videos click Here

• I hope it is not a motherboard failure. I ran nmap tool and found that the laptop is up and running, but has black screen. Here is the output of nmap. Is there anyway that I can connect to this laptop remotely (Remote Desktop Connection etc)?

Unfortunately I got this laptop from my friend in Canada and I stay in India. Can I transfer the warranty to Dell India?

Thanks

Nmap scan report for 192.168.2.2

Host is up (0.0050s latency).

Not shown: 991 filtered ports

PORT      STATE SERVICE     VERSION

135/tcp   open  msrpc       Microsoft Windows RPC

139/tcp   open  netbios-ssn

445/tcp   open  netbios-ssn

6646/tcp  open  unknown

49152/tcp open  msrpc       Microsoft Windows RPC

49153/tcp open  msrpc       Microsoft Windows RPC

49154/tcp open  msrpc       Microsoft Windows RPC

49155/tcp open  msrpc       Microsoft Windows RPC

49157/tcp open  msrpc       Microsoft Windows RPC

Service Info: OS: Windows

Host script results:

|_nbstat: NetBIOS name: xxx, NetBIOS user: <unknown>, NetBIOS MAC: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

|_smbv2-enabled: Server supports SMBv2 protocol

• Hi newdelluser,

Yes, you can connect an external desktop monitor to the laptop so that we can isolate if this is an issue with the video card/mother board. You said the 'system is up and running during the nmap tool'. Does it mean the black screen issue is intermittent? Does this black screen come up while using any specific application or program? Or does it happen only during start up?

If the system has atleast 1 year Onsite warranty when it was purchased, it qualifies for International warranty.

To check the warranty status and to change the ownership of the computer, refer this link: http://dell.to/qNc5Am

Kindly reply for any further help!

Thanks & Regards,
    Nikhil D
    #iworkfordell

• I ran nmap tool remotely from my desktop PC, NOT on the laptop. The laptop screen never came up. I cannot connect the laptop to my external desktop monitor because there is no VGA port on the laptop. Please advise me if there is a way to connect it.

The laptop came with one year warranty (I guess it is Return to Depot warranty). Does it qualify for international warranty? If not, can I contact Dell Support here in India?

Thanks

• Hi newdelluser,

Yes there is a HDMI port on the left side of the laptop, please connect an external display using an HDMI cable and switch the display and check if there is any display on the external monitor. Please reply with results.

I suggest you to transfer the ownership using the link provided by me in the above post, with which you would be able to get limited support.

Please reply for further help.

Thanks & Regards,
    Nikhil D
    #iworkfordell

• I have been using my laptop since 7 months ago.My laptop's model is DELL inspiron 15R-5521 with windows 7(ultimate),8gb ram,1 TB HD drive.but now a days it shows a problem which bother me very much.When i switch the power key there is no display and a bad sound beep in the sound box like tap   tap   tap....I informed that problem to an engineer and he says that this problem is creating for my keybord fault.But it should be noted that there is no disturb in my keybord.I really dont understanding the actual problem of my laptop.

I need your help very badly.please help me.

Thank You....

• Hi Chayan007,

I would suggest that you run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.

1. Turn on or restart the computer.

2. Immediately at the Dell logo screen, starting tapping the <F12> key once a second until the One Time Boot menu appears (if the computer boots to Windows turn the computer off and try again).

3. At the One Time Boot menu, press the <Down> arrow key to highlight Diagnostics, PSA+ or Enter ePSA, then press <Enter> to begin the hardware Diagnostics.

4. Write down any error codes listed. Reply to us with the error codes.

#iwork4Dell
    Order Status : http://dell.to/1fgKSTr
    Download Drivers : http://dell.to/1hcxG98

• I restart the laptop and pressed the F12 key.Then i choose the diagnostic menu It gave me an Error code:2000-0334 AND Validation:103800.

Thanks for replying me.

• Hi Chayan007,

The error indicates there may be an issue with LCD. However I would suggest you to update the BIOS and rerun the diagnostics again. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the BIOS from BIOS section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/ZaQuel

If the error gets repeated then please send me a private message with the computer's service tag, Name registered during the system purchase and email address so that I can check what can be done. To send a private message, click on my name and select start conversation.

Please let me know if this helps.

#iwork4Dell
    Order Status : http://dell.to/1fgKSTr
    Download Drivers : http://dell.to/1hcxG98

• The laptop worked well till yesterday, I closed the lid and plugged it to charge overnight and today when I tried to start only blank screen appears with two beeps as (beep-beep     some interval beep- beep ....) I reinserted my RAM and the same thing occurs. Before this screen blackout it showed me some error code 0xc0000185 and 0xc000021a(not A).

• Hey How are you i have facing the same problem have you found any solution of this problem if yes please inform me because my laptop is in international warranty, kindlay contact me on <ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed as per privacy policy>

• Hi Nikhil

I owned a dell inspiron 15R5521 last year. My laptop has been updated to Windows 8.1 environment.

Recently the system demanded a compulsory auto update and reboot. After the restart, the system does not show the usual screen which indicating the % of update.  The system however prompted me to enter my password to login as usual. I entered the password and proceeds to press the enter button. Whilst waiting and expecting the system to bring up the usual screen, i notice it takes longer than usual time and eventually nothing happens after waited for more than 10 mins. The screen is black in colour. All i can see is my cursor and i tried to restart the system a few times. It gives me the same result. I also tried to press 'alt, ctrl and del' keys, the screen brings up the normal few options to navitage to -switch to task manager, lock, logoff, shut down, etc. Other than this, i am unable to see anything from the screen. It is very frustrating.

Would you please advise what happens to my laptop and what can be done as currently, i am unable to do any troubleshooting as the screen is showing plain black!

My mailbox is <ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

Thanks.