Laptop won't turn on, but beeps loudly

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Laptop won't turn on, but beeps loudly

This question is answered

Hi there, I am having troubles with my dell inspiron 1545. It has been working fine, but I just tried to switch it on, and it won't boot. After pressing the 'on' button, the cd drive flashes and makes a noise, like it normally does when I switch the laptop on. Then nothing happens for a whole minute, and then a loud repetitive beep starts. It's 4 beeps in a row, which then gets repeated. I have let the beep continue, but it doesn't seem to stop, unless I either press the 'on' button again or take the battery out.

What could this be and how can we fix it? 

Thanks in advance for any help.

Verified Answer
  • Hello Loody,

4 beeps indicates memory failure. However, in order to isolate the issue, I would suggest few troubleshooting steps.

Remove all the memory modules from the computer and check if any beeps are heard. If you hear the beeps, it means that the motherboard is working fine. Then try only one memory stick at one time, in each slot. Example: Take one memory stick, insert it into the first slot, and check if the computer boots to windows. Then try the same memory stick in second slot and follow the same pattern until you test all the memory in all slots. This would tell us if the issue is with mother board or memory.

Before performing the steps, read and follow the safety instructions in Dell Knowledge Base Article: "Precautionary Measures for Personal Safety"
    Remove any and all power sources Including but not limited to: AC Adapter and  Battery before you remove or reinstall an item in your computer.
    Please see the Service manual for instructions on how to remove and replace the Memory Modules. 

Please write back with results, would be glad to assist further.

Thanks & Regards
    Allan D
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region USIndia. For Dell support videos click Here.

If a post answers your question, please click "Yes".

• Hello Loody,

Thank you for replying. I really appreciate your effort to troubleshoot the issue. It seems that one of the memory sticks have gone bad and needs a replacement. The Memory modules that would support this system is a DDR2 800 MHz SODIMMs. Inspiron 1545 support maximum of 8GB. Hence it you may get the 4GB sticks. You can get these memory modules from any local store. 

Please write back for further questions.  

Thanks & Regards
    Allan D
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region USIndia. For Dell support videos click Here.

• Hi Loody,

Inspiron 1545 does supports 8GB memory as it have been tested and approved. Please check the crucial memory advisor for more details. You may also choose the country according to your convenience. 

Please Note: How much memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of Windows you are running. 32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. To utilize more memory, install a 64-bit version of your OS. More information about OS memory maximums can be found here.

Hope this helps! 

Thanks & Regards
    Allan D
    #iworkfordell

All Replies
  • Hello Loody,

4 beeps indicates memory failure. However, in order to isolate the issue, I would suggest few troubleshooting steps.

Remove all the memory modules from the computer and check if any beeps are heard. If you hear the beeps, it means that the motherboard is working fine. Then try only one memory stick at one time, in each slot. Example: Take one memory stick, insert it into the first slot, and check if the computer boots to windows. Then try the same memory stick in second slot and follow the same pattern until you test all the memory in all slots. This would tell us if the issue is with mother board or memory.

Before performing the steps, read and follow the safety instructions in Dell Knowledge Base Article: "Precautionary Measures for Personal Safety"
    Remove any and all power sources Including but not limited to: AC Adapter and  Battery before you remove or reinstall an item in your computer.
    Please see the Service manual for instructions on how to remove and replace the Memory Modules. 

Please write back with results, would be glad to assist further.

Thanks & Regards
    Allan D
    #iworkfordell

• Hi Allan,

thank you so much for your advise, this has been really helpful. I have done what you said. When both memory modules are out, immediately 2 repetitive beeps start.

When I put number 1 of the modules into the lower slot, after one minute ,4 repetitive beeps start.

When I put number 2 into the lower slot, the laptop boots, starts up normally and works fine.

So I assume, this means that the mother board is fine, but that number 2 of the memory modules is broken?

I live in Suva in Fiji, can you recommend where I can buy a replacement? Also, would it be possible with my model to buy 2x 4gb modules (i have 2 x 2gb at the moment) ?

Thanks again for your help.

• Hello Loody,

Thank you for replying. I really appreciate your effort to troubleshoot the issue. It seems that one of the memory sticks have gone bad and needs a replacement. The Memory modules that would support this system is a DDR2 800 MHz SODIMMs. Inspiron 1545 support maximum of 8GB. Hence it you may get the 4GB sticks. You can get these memory modules from any local store. 

Please write back for further questions.  

Thanks & Regards
    Allan D
    #iworkfordell

• Hello Allan,

that's great, thank again for your help. Hmmm, the following link says that the Inspiron 1545  only supports up to 4gb RAM. accessories.euro.dell.com/.../category.aspx

Are you sure it's 8gb?

Thanks!

• Hi Loody,

Inspiron 1545 does supports 8GB memory as it have been tested and approved. Please check the crucial memory advisor for more details. You may also choose the country according to your convenience. 

Please Note: How much memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of Windows you are running. 32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. To utilize more memory, install a 64-bit version of your OS. More information about OS memory maximums can be found here.

Hope this helps! 

Thanks & Regards
    Allan D
    #iworkfordell

• Thanks so much. You have helped me a lot and also proved that the Dell standard is as good as what I thought. From this experience, I will definitely go with Dell again!

• Hi Loody,

Glad to be of help. I appreciate all your efforts taken by you to troubleshoot the issue.

Kindly post me if you need any further help. I'd be glad to assist you further.

Thanks & Regards
    Allan D
    #iworkfordell