Installing Win7 on a Win8 laptop (Inspiron 15R SE)

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Installing Win7 on a Win8 laptop (Inspiron 15R SE)

This question is answered

I've done plenty of installations in the past but was curious to know if there are any lessons learned or advice prior to installing win7 on a win8 purchased Dell. 

1) boot win7 cd

2) format

3) install win7

Should be straight forward, right?  Appreciate your input.

*Reason for downgrade* I'm a DJ and the software isn't compatible with win8.

Verified Answer
  • Hi audi4rings,

The installation procedure is the same as what you have mentioned above. Kindly ensure that you back up your data and proceed with the installation.

Thanks and Regards
    Harish M
    #iworkfordell

To learn more about Dell Products, Services, and Drivers, click Here
  • Hi audi4rings,

Windows 7 downgrade is available only for windows 8 Professional to windows 7 professional. Kindly let me know the version that you are using.

Please install the network drivers to fix the missing two drivers from the below link. Please provide the service tag through a private message in case if you have any difficulties in locating the drivers.

http://dell.to/PijbRm

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag so I may check the region/country from where the system was purchased and assist you accordingly. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Thanks and Regards
    Harish M
    #iworkfordell

• Hi audi4rings,

Windows 8 Home edition is not eligible for a Windows 7 downgrade and you cannot use the license for any other operating system.

Thanks and Regards
    Harish M
    #iworkfordell

All Replies
  • Hi audi4rings,

The installation procedure is the same as what you have mentioned above. Kindly ensure that you back up your data and proceed with the installation.

Thanks and Regards
    Harish M
    #iworkfordell

• Thanks for your response Harish but nothing to backup since it's a fresh image.  BTW, isn't there some downgrade program from Dell which allows me to download or use win7 since I have a license copy of win8 (from new purchase)?

• Win7 successfully installed but missing 2 drivers.  USB2.0 and smb bus controller for win7 (x86).  

• Hi audi4rings,

Windows 7 downgrade is available only for windows 8 Professional to windows 7 professional. Kindly let me know the version that you are using.

Please install the network drivers to fix the missing two drivers from the below link. Please provide the service tag through a private message in case if you have any difficulties in locating the drivers.

http://dell.to/PijbRm

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag so I may check the region/country from where the system was purchased and assist you accordingly. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Thanks and Regards
    Harish M
    #iworkfordell

• Not sure...it just says Windows 8 - 64bit.  

www.costco.com/Dell-Inspiron-15R-Special-Edition-Laptop,-Intel%C2%AE-Core%E2%84%A2-i7-3632QM-2.2GHz,-1080p-Display.product.100011658.html

Does this qualify for download of Win7 64bit download?  

Thank you VERY much for your help Harish!

• I just checked and I have Win8 home edition.  Can I use this license towards Win7?  I thought I saw a link on the MS site regarding this.  Thanks

• Hi audi4rings,

Windows 8 Home edition is not eligible for a Windows 7 downgrade and you cannot use the license for any other operating system.

Thanks and Regards
    Harish M
    #iworkfordell

• Thanks for your response Harish and my issue has been resolved by installing Win7Pro which contained all the drivers and udpates from windowsupdate.microsoft.com.