Problems with Dell XPS12 touch screen

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Problems with Dell XPS12 touch screen

This question has suggested answer(s)

Hi all,

I have recently got brand new, lovely Dell XPS 12. All nice and great, but lately I started having problems with the touch screen. After using the laptop for a while, the touch screen stops working for a while, then it starts working again, and then it stops and so on... The periods are more or less 1min of not working, working for 1 min again, 1 min not working, 1 min working again... after a while of that it stops working for good and I have to restart the laptop. I can still use touchpad or mouse and operate the laptop normally, but the touch is just not registering. Anyone have experienced that before? Would that be hardware or software issue? I love the laptop, but that touch screen issue is just annoying...

All Replies
  • I have the same exact problem. I have to reboot to get the touchscreen working reliably again. Not sure what triggers the behavior. It seems to happen mostly when I am playing a solitaire app from the windows store. Then it doesn't mater what app you're in, it does this until I reboot. When this happens, the UI is still responsive to the touch pad or an external mouse. This needs to be addressed ASAP! This is too expensive of a device for this behavior.

• Hi Danieldzc,

RBJazzman, as you are also facing a similar issue with the same system model, please follow the same troubleshooting steps as mentioned below:

1. Update system BIOS:
    Note: Before flashing the BIOS please check the following:
    - Battery should have 10% or greater charge
    - Adapter should be connected
    - No external devices should be connected
    - All other programs should be closed and documents saved

- Click http://dell.to/WrE2G4 to download the latest system BIOS
    - Click on “Get driver”
    - Save the BIOS on your desktop
    - Right click on it and select “Run as administrator”
    - Follow the prompts on screen to install BIOS (System may produce beep sounds and may restart)
    - Restart the laptop and re-check

2. If the issue persists, try updating 'Chip-set and Video Drivers'
    - Click http://dell.to/TNqKgo to download the latest chip-set driver
    - Click http://dell.to/RQ3cd0 to download the latest Video driver
    Note: Please install each driver one by one

- Click on “Get driver”
    - Save the file on your desktop
    - Right click on it and select “Run as administrator”
    - Follow the prompts on screen to install
    - Restart the laptop and re-check

3. If the issue persists, try re-calibrating the touch on the screen
    - Select the 'Settings menu' from the charms
    - Select 'Control Panel' from the 'Settings menu'
    - Click 'Calibrate the screen for pen or touch input'
    - On the following screen tap the 'cross hair' each time it appears on screen and save the calibration settings

Hope this helps. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

Thanks & Regards,
    Saurabh A
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, click Here. For helpful Dell Support Videos, you may click Here

• dell you need to learn the xps 12 before you get someone in trouble  recal is done at the tablet settings  I used that once and it messed up my touch screen  I had to reset the touch settings to get it right  also on mine the update screen comes up filtered for my tag  it shows all updates except bios even though mine has AO1  I suggest we wait a bit for Dell to get things right 

DELL XPS 12, also Alienware Area 51 ALX, BIOS A11, Intel I7 990x 3.46GHz, 12 gigs mem, Duel 2TB Seagate HD, Wireless Card, BluRay Writer, CD/DVD Writer, Dual ATI Rad 6870's, Liq. Cooling, Built in Sound,Windows7

• Hi Saurabh

I was experiencing the same problems as the first two guys: touchscreen stopping working after a while.

Thanks for the links/downloads since this seems to have fixed the problem - time will tell.

Having used touchscreens previously I was sceptical about the calibration issue - generally you see the cursor mis-positioned to where you touch.  Never-the-less a useful thing to know.

Overall I am really happy with my XPS12 - fantastic for what I wanted.

Nick

• Hi Danieldzc,

I am checking for an update on status of the touchscreen issue you were experiencing.

@: Thank you for the correction; your valuable inputs appreciated.

Please find the revised steps for recalibrating the touchscreen on XPS 12:
    - Select the 'Settings charm' from 'desktop mode'
    - Select 'Control Panel'
    - Select 'Tablet PC Settings' from 'large icon view'
    - Select 'Reset'

Hope this helps . Do reply if you have any further questions. Glad to assist.

Thanks & Regards,
    Saurabh A
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, click Here. For helpful Dell Support Videos, you may click Here

• Hi Nick,

Glad to know that the touch screen related issue is resolved. I am confident that these updates will result into sustained system performance. Also glad that you are finding this system useful.

Do reply if you have any further questions. Glad to assist.

Thanks & Regards,
    Saurabh A
    #iworkfordell

• Hi, I just wanted to let others know who have had this issue that there is obviously some type of hardware failure as I first reported this to Dell support the day the XPS 12 was released.

I received my XPS 12 on November 9th and immediately had issues with the touchscreen where it would just completely stop working. After 8 hours of technical support over the phone spanning two days,  they decided to send a technician out to replace the touchscreen.  The technician replaced the screen and the touchscreen hasn't worked since.  They created an exchange 2 weeks ago and it still hasn't shipped out.  They assured me the exchange would ship by the end of this week.

I loved the machine for the few minutes it actually worked but this has been very frustrating experience.  

Obviously there is some type of hardware flaw now that I see more people are reporting similar issues so hopefully this doesn't continue with the exchange I receive

• Hi showbo1971,

Apologies for the unpleasant experience. Please share your computer related details so that I check the status of the system exchange and inform you about it.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide the below mentioned details so I may access your system records. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Details required:
    1. Service Tag of the laptop
    2. Account Holder's name (Name of person who purchased it)

Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

Thanks & Regards,
    Saurabh A
    #iworkfordell

• Hi,

Yesterday i received my brand-new XPS 12. (Bios A04)

I'm also experiencing the same problems as the other guys: touchscreen stopping working after a while.

After a while (often after rotating the display) it's starting working again for some Inputs - but that doesn't last very long.

Then i've done all Windows Updates and rebooted - looks fine now.

But after reading this thread i'm really worried. In fact, the product is unusable if this error occur again.

I'll try do get all Bios/Chipset updates available currently and will report if this problem persists.

Best Regards,

Trynn

• Hi Saurabh,

I sent you a private message last night with the information you requested.

I appreciate your assistance but it appears an exchange will ship out soon as I received a call 2 days ago saying it would be 3-5 more business days.

I did do a Google search and found that there are quite a bit of people reporting the same issue so hopefully a permanent resolution for the rest of the people experiencing this will be found.

• I can confirm that since I have downloaded suggested updated drivers I haven't encountered that problem. Bios was already the version you have suggested to download so I didn't bother with that.

• Hi Scott,

I understand your concern; thank you for bringing this to my notice. We will keep a track of the users facing this issue and if needed, I will escalate it to the 'Product Engineering Group Team'.

As you correctly stated, your system exchange has been created; will keep you updated. Alternatively, you may track the dispatch using the following link: http://dell.to/JvdJJi   (Refer to the image below)

@ NKSDell, Danieldzc : Thank you for confirming that the issue is fixed.

Thanks & Regards,
    Saurabh A
    #iworkfordell

• Sorry I have written that since the drivers update I haven't encountered the issue again. This is as from this moment not correct, my touch screen stopped working again. Tried to recalibrate, but obviously can't recalibrate if it doesn't register the touch... Please advice on further steps.

• Hi Danieldzc,

Thank you for your reply. I have raised the matter to the 'product group team' for further research. I will keep you posted on developments. In the mean while, please share some system related information for more details.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on 'Friends' tab at the top and then click on 'Request to Review' and finally click on 'Accept' button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on 'Inbox' to respond to the message and provide the system's 'Service Tag' so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Thanks & Regards,
    Saurabh A
    #iworkfordell

• Hi Danieldzc,

Thank you for your response.

Please try the following 'Hotfix' from Microsoft to fix the Touchscreen issue: http://bit.ly/SxqapR

- Click 'Hotfix download available'
    - Click 'I accept'
    - Select 'Windows 8 RTM x64
    - Enter your 'Email address' twice
    - Enter 'security code'
    - Click 'Request for the Hotfix'

Access your email to use this Hotfix as per the on-screen instructions and recheck the touchscreen on your system.

Hope this helps. Do reply if you have any further questions. Glad to assist.

Thanks & Regards,
    Saurabh A
    #iworkfordell