Vostro V131 can't shut down

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Vostro V131 can't shut down

This question has suggested answer(s)

Hi,

I've got Dell Vostro V131 with the following specs:

Windows 8 Pro with Media center

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz

Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000

Memory 4 GB

Hard disk SAMSUNG SSD PM810 2.5" 7mm 128GB

BIOS Name        BIOS Date: 08/03/12 10:51:08 Ver: 04.06.04

BIOS Vendor        Dell Inc.

SMBIOS Version        A05

Already a while ago my computer couldn't shutdown. Every time I try to shut it down the screen goes black, but the power light remains on and the ventilator continues to work. Same if I try to put it to sleep or hibernate. I always have to press on power button and hold long for a complete shutdown. Afterwards when I start it again it shows that shutdown wasn't properly done and asks whether to start in safe or normal mode.

I had windows 7 on it when it started. Then with a hope to fix the problem i installed new fresh version of Windows 8, but nothing changed. SO it can't be windows issue. Any help would be highly appreciated.

All Replies
  • Hi jmantas,

You can go ahead and do a complete windows update in the system, you can also update the chipset and video drivers in the system. Please use the link below to update the drivers.

http://dell.to/RQXCIH Chipset driver

http://dell.to/T1l4UD  video driver

The drivers have to be installed in the same order as mentioned above and please restart the system after every driver installation.

Please do reply for further assistance.

Thanks and regards,
    Senthil S
    #iworkfordell.
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US / India . For Dell support videos click here.

• Hi Senthil,

Thank you for your reply. I've update both drivers in your designated order, restarted computer after each of them. Nothing changed though. Shutdown and sleep functions still don't work properly and computer remains working after shutdown or sleep is pushed.

• Hi jmantas,

After updating both the drivers still the problem persists in your laptop, I would request you to send a private message with your system service tag, as I need to check a few more details about the computer. In order to send a private message, please accept my friend request, click on my user name and click start conversation. Also please give your first name and last name, email address and phone number.

Thanks and regards,
    Senthil S
    #iworkfordell.
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US / India . For Dell support videos click here.

• Hi Senthil,

I have the same problem with my computer. At the beginning it was only when sending the computer to hibernation or to sleep. Now I cannot even switch off the computer. In all cases, the screen goes black, but the power and wifi lights stay on.

Finally I can only switch the computer off by pressing the power button for a couple of seconds. I updated BIOS and video driver already.

Since it seems the problem is very similar to the one jmantas and other users are reporting, I was wondering if you had already come up with a solution.

Regards

PS: In my case, the OS is Windows 7

• Hi efercan,

Please let us know whether you have updated the BIOS, Chipset and video drivers in the system, which I have mentioned in the previous post. In case you have updated all the above mentioned drivers and still the problem persists you can do a Microsoft fix it in the system. Please use the link below to do the Microsoft fix it.

http://dell.to/QOTB5s

After doing the Microsoft fix it and still you have the same problem, you may have to do a Pc restore in the system. You can use link below to do the PC restore.

http://dell.to/eiK3kc

Please do reply for further assistance.

Thanks and regards,
    Senthil S
    #iworkfordell.

• Hi Senthil,

First of all, thank you for your answer.

I did update the BIOS, Chipset and video drivers in the system with no positive results.

I also did a PC restore. At the beginning the problem seemed to be solved, but it soon reappeared. After that, I tried updating drivers again, and again had no positive results.

Regarding http://dell.to/QOTB5s, nothing relevant there.

Any other suggestion?

Thank you!

• Hi efercan,

Once the PC restore was done in the system the problem got fixed and then soon reappeared, please let us know after the PC restore have you installed any software in the system or any other changes was made in the system?

Thanks and regards,
    Senthil S
    #iworkfordell.

• Hi Senthil,

Sorry, I did not have the full information from my IT department before.

Actually what they did was to change the mother board (Dell support service did) and reinstall OS. That fixed the problem for a while, but then it reappeared after a few days.

Just to discard that only OS reinstallation works, I have just done a PC restore again (not even two minutes ago) and the problem persists. In any case, to be 100% sure I will install all the Windows updates and also the drivers updates. Although it seems to me that this is a HW problem rather than a SW problem.

• hi

salam

i am from

algeria

i have the same pb

i think that hapen when instaling win7 sp1 verssion

so we have not to do update but 

downdate 

i dont try it yet

i just instaled the windows7 sp1 and the problem persist

• Hi efercan and alc.rabie,

Since the motherboard was already replaced and pc restore is also done in the system still the problem persists, the only hardware replacement can be done are the fan/heat sink and the processor. First replace the fan/heat sink and check the system is working. In case problem persists you need to replace the processor. 

Thanks and regards,
    Senthil S
    #iworkfordell.

• hi

i dont think that it is a fan pb, sinc it work nice under windows

what i remarque that when entring bios to make change it take while when doing save F10

i frequantly use pc 

its the first time when i see a bios taking so match time to save

also

when instaling windows

it seem to shut downs when doing restart task

but normaly it restat as it have to do

what i want to say is the led turn off when restating

why it dont when shutingdown 

i have read in somme web site that the solution is to change the mother board

i find more than 5 persson hows have that pb

but you are telling as that it is not

so

i dont know how to do

remark 

4 month ago i had to replace my hard disk

because i loos so many sector on it

and i baught a new one

so if you tell me that i have to by a new mother board

its like you told me change your lap

really i love this lap

but ..

• Hi alc.rabie,

It may be a motherboard issue which is causing the problem, since efercan replaced the motherboard and done PC restore in the system that is why we have recommended to replace the fan/heat sink and the processor.

Thanks and regards,
    Senthil S
    #iworkfordell.

• Dear All,

Forget about updating BIOS/driver or re-OS etc etc. Just have Dell replace the motherboard. It works, shutdown/hibernate problem SOLVED, period.

I had mine replaced the motherboard today, laptop is back to normal. 

Jane

• Hi all,

I was just wondering if any of you had the same problem after replacing the mother board. 

In my case, the first time the mother board was replaced, the problem reappeared in a couple of weeks. Dell replaced the motherboard again back in December and today I am starting to have the same issue. When I close the lid, or press power button to suspend, the screen goes black but the power and wifi indicators stay on and the fan keeps working.

Last time, after a few days with this problem, the computer would not even shut down normally.

Not even a year old and three motherboards crashed seems a very poor record for this computer.

Thanks for your comments.

• I had this same problem, updated to BIOS A06 ( May 2013) which resolved the issue.

www.dell.com/.../DriverDetails