Latitude D600 will not shut down, stuck at "windows is shutting down" screen

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Latitude D600 will not shut down, stuck at "windows is shutting down" screen

This question is answered

This is a refurbished Latitude D600 running XP Professional, that has worked well in the almost two years I've had it.

A few days ago when I clicked "turn off computer" it went through the process up to the "windows is shutting down" screen, where it hung and stopped responding to either keyboard or mouse. I didn't have time to fool with it at the moment, I had an appointment. When I returned an hour or so later it was still in the same condition, so I did the ctrl-alt-del move which seemed to jog it out of it's stupor, the Task Manager panel appeared momentarily, after which the machine continued to shut down normally.

It continued to work normally for a few days until today, when it did the same thing again: I press "turn off computer" it goes through the process to the point of the "windows is shutting down" screen and stays locked there. This time ctrl-alt-del did nothing, Esc did nothing,pressing the "turn off" button on the machine did nothing. I can't shut it down, I can't get into windows or access the computer in any way at all, so I know of no l utilities or tools I might employ to fix the problem or even diagnose it.

I suppose one option is to unplug the ac and wait until the battery runs down, but that doesn't seem to be much of a solution.  I'll welcome any suggestions or help, but at this point, since I can't get off the "windows is shutting down" screen, I can't boot into windows, I can't boot into safe mode, I have a shiny doorstop with a pretty blue rectangle on top, which at the moment is completely useless.

Verified Answer
  • Hi,

The computer not shutting down may be caused by a number of problems, like there may be a problem with the way the computer communicates with the software or hardware in your system (BIOS), or there may be an issue with newly installed software or devices that may interfere with the computer's basic function. I would recommend you to press and hold the power button until the computer powers off.  

Once you turn it on and when the computer restarts, a Check Disk utility (chkdsk.exe) may automatically run, which is an expected behavior. However, if chkdsk doesn’t start automatically, try to boot the system in Safe Mode.

To boot the computer in Safe Mode, please switch on the computer and start tapping the F8 key which would take you to Advanced Boot Option screen. Using the up and down arrow key, select Safe Mode to boot the computer into Safe Mode.

You can also refer to the link on Microsoft support site: http://bit.ly/dsMWlm

Please reply for further assistance.

Thanks and Regards
    Priyanka S
    #iworkfordell

All Replies
  • Hi,

The computer not shutting down may be caused by a number of problems, like there may be a problem with the way the computer communicates with the software or hardware in your system (BIOS), or there may be an issue with newly installed software or devices that may interfere with the computer's basic function. I would recommend you to press and hold the power button until the computer powers off.  

Once you turn it on and when the computer restarts, a Check Disk utility (chkdsk.exe) may automatically run, which is an expected behavior. However, if chkdsk doesn’t start automatically, try to boot the system in Safe Mode.

To boot the computer in Safe Mode, please switch on the computer and start tapping the F8 key which would take you to Advanced Boot Option screen. Using the up and down arrow key, select Safe Mode to boot the computer into Safe Mode.

You can also refer to the link on Microsoft support site: http://bit.ly/dsMWlm

Please reply for further assistance.

Thanks and Regards
    Priyanka S
    #iworkfordell

• Since there was no way I could shut down, I simply ignored it for around 8 to 12 hours. When I returned to it, it had shut itself down. 

I turned it back on, was able to boot into windows and ran chkdsk, which said it was restoring several files. The file names meant nothing to me, being strings of numbers and letters, but afterward the machine seems to be operating normally. 

I forgot to mention that my primary machine is a desktop, which is how I was able to post my original question, in case anyone was wondering <smile>

Thanks for your response,

Ron

• This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with the same or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.