Intel USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller driver for Windows 8 needed for Inspiron 7520

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Intel USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller driver for Windows 8 needed for Inspiron 7520

This question is not answered

As of today, October 26, 2012, I need the "Intel USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller" driver for Windows 8 (both 32 and 64 bit) for my Inspiron 7520.

It is missing from Dell's downloads page for Inspiron 7520.

Could a Dell representative highlight the above issue to the relevant technical support team or website administrator?

Thanks in advance.

All Replies
  • Hi,

We are still updating/sorting the Windows 8 drivers on our web-site. The INTEL Intel USB3.0 which is available on the web site now is compatible with Windows 8 as well.

Please find below the link for INTEL Intel USB3.0 driver, please click on the Compatibility and you may go through the description.

www.dell.com/.../inspiron-15r-se-7520

I hope this helps, please do write back in case you need any further assistance.

Thanks and regards,
    Swapnajan MC
    #iworkfordell

• DELL-Swapnajan MC
    We are still updating/sorting the Windows 8 drivers on our web-site.

Please read my post "When does Dell plan to release Microsoft Windows 8 device drivers for Inspiron 7520?" here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/p/19470118/20201161.aspx#20201161

I can't believe that Dell staff are NOT proactive. It could be the reason for Dell to lose its position as the world's top PC seller.

DELL-Swapnajan MC
    The INTEL Intel USB3.0 which is available on the web site now is compatible with Windows 8 as well.

Incorrect. Windows 8 flags it with a warning.

Could Dell approach Intel for a solution for the sake of its customers?

• The problem I have with the driver's compatibility is that the Windows 8 updater asks me to uninstall it (it should not be a problem if it includes it and works once it is installed), and then I have to restart in order to continue the update install. But once the system is restarted, usb drivers are missing and the bootable usb drive from where I'm doing the update isn't recognized anymore. How can I solve this? I know burning a DVD is easier, but is there any other solution?
    Thanks in advance. 

• metalyeah

The problem I have with the driver's compatibility is that the Windows 8 updater asks me to uninstall it (it should not be a problem if it includes it and works once it is installed), and then I have to restart in order to continue the update install. But once the system is restarted, usb drivers are missing and the bootable usb drive from where I'm doing the update isn't recognized anymore. How can I solve this? I know burning a DVD is easier, but is there any other solution?
    Thanks in advance.

What is the model of your laptop PC?

• I have the issue with an M17x r4.

Win 8 won't let me install it.. it say's it is not compatible with the OS.

• The following is an update to my original post.

I ran the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant and below is the image of a list of my Inspiron 7520 hardware that it found incompatible:

Notice that the Upgrade Assistant stated that Intel USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller Driver is incompatible with Windows 8.

• I have the same problem. I need to use a rockey dongle and because the Intel USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller Driver Is incompatible it does not work.
    Will Dell de  updating the driver  at all?

• Hi All,

I have escalated this issue to our Engineering team, hoping to get this fixed at the earliest. I will come back and post the results on this thread as soon as I get an update.

Thanks and regards,
    Swapnajan MC
    #iworkfordell

• DELL-Swapnajan MC

Hi All,

I have escalated this issue to our Engineering team, hoping to get this fixed at the earliest. I will come back and post the results on this thread as soon as I get an update.

Meanwhile, please take a look at the image below that shows Intel only released the Intel USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller device driver for Microsoft 7 versions on October 27, 2012. Up till Halloween today, there is no sign of the said driver for Microsoft Windows 8 for download from Intel.

Question for Dell: Should Dell continue to buy hardware from Intel seeing that the latter offers very poor technical support?

• Well I did  check with the dell free hardware diagnostics and it came up telling me there was a problem with the USB .

Still I use windows 8 on a desktop and it works fine ..Only the dell laptop has problems.

It is not as if windows 8 has just been out and surely the techs at dell should have spotted problems with it .

To me it is poor form from dell

• Just upgrade my m17x R4 to win 8 few days ago and can confirm the current Intel USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller driver is not compatible for win 8.

For some reason, whenever i connect a device (keyboard/mouse/USB stick etc..) to USB slot next to eSata, i always get BSOD and some stability issue!!

Please sort this out dell!!

• oldbar

It is not as if windows 8 has just been out and surely the techs at dell should have spotted problems with it .

Agreed.

The RTM (release to manufacturing a.k.a. final or gold) version of Microsoft Windows 8 was made available for download for TechNet, MSDN, BizSpark, DreamSpark and Volume Licensing subscribers on August 15, 2012.

Big corporations such as Dell, Intel, AMD, Acer, Asus, Lenovo, Adobe to name a few are volume-licensed subscribers and they have access to Microsoft Windows 8 versions on that date. They would have downloaded the software and tested their respective hardware for Windows 8 compatibility.

From August 15 till today, which covers a period of more than 2 months, both Dell and Intel have not released an Intel USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller device driver compatible with Microsoft Windows 8.

Could someone explain to me what Dell and Intel had been doing during that period of more than 2 months? Do they take their customers seriously? Are they serious about providing technical support to their respective customers?

• For those of you who are interested in a related topic, please surf to communities.intel.com/.../170420  The title of the post is "Where is Intel USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller driver for Microsoft Windows 8?" (without the quotes).

You don't have to register to view the post and its replies.

• Dell are not interested in helping there customers it is now November and still nothing
    .I had the xp15 returned that as it was a very bad laptop .

• downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx