Dell Latitude E5410 screen goes blank after Intel graphic driver is updated

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Dell Latitude E5410 screen goes blank after Intel graphic driver is updated

This question is answered

Friends

I am helping a friend with her Dell Latitude E5410. We reinstalled clean Win 7 Professional onto it, but then there is this really strange thing happening:

After the clean install, the first thing I did was to put in the Dell Driver CD and install the drivers for the hardware it found. Strangely enough it did not have the driver for her wireless card, but it found the driver for the Broadcomm wired networking, so we could get online. Ok, so far so good.

But then the problem started. Windows Update found two critical updates that it downloaded and installed automatically. One was for for the Intel Graphics card on that model of Latitude, and the other was a Windows Critical update file, if I remember right. Then I rebooted. But when I rebooted, then the computer started booting up fine, but then I could not see anything on the screen after the initial Dell Logo. I could see that the machine continued booting, and I heard the sound of the Windows OS opening, but nothing on the screen, but perhaps a little different shades of grey at some point. Ok, so I connected a separate monitor and immediately I could see the desktop on the external screen!

Ok, next I did run a restore to to undo the automatic video driver update, and rebooted. Then I again got the computer to boot fine and everything seemed ok, except that the video driver was the default 800x600 screen. I then tried to download the Dell driver for this video from Dell, and managed to do that. That is the Intel GMA HD driver. But before I noticed the Windows Update had again downloaded and installed the Intel Video driver. So I had to reboot again, and again I got the blank screen! So I had to again do a system restore to the earlier stage. Again I booted and now again I got things to show up on the Latitude screen. Then I unplugged the Internet and ran the downloaded the Dell Intel Video driver I downloaded. I could install it, but when I rebooted I again lost the internal screen.So the full download from Dell did not solve the problem!

This is really odd. I only seem to be able to see  things on the internal screen, if I do not update the Intel Video driver but use the generic one that comes with Windows 7 Pro 32 bit. But I am afraid that one day the Windows update will again install an update and then my friend will end up with a black screen and not really know what to do. Tongue Tied

So, what could be the problem here? Could it be something related to the BIOS? Her computer has BIOS version A7 and the latest is, I believe, A11. But she ran Windows 7 Pro also when we re-installed (clean). She had some odd problems with Internet Explorer and stuff so I decided to try a full re-install. And she never had that graphic issue before.

The computer originally came with Windows 7 Home edition, but she had help from others to upgrade to Windows 7 Pro. She does have the Dell Windows 7 Home DVD, and a Microsoft Windows 7 Pro full disk from MS. Could it be that I first have to install the Win 7  Home version and then upgrade using the Win 7 Pro DVD? But would that really make any difference?

Grateful for any good suggestions.

Yours,

Calle2012

Verified Answer
  • Hi Calle2012,

There may be many possible reasons for the issue:
    1. Corrupt video card drivers
    2. Outdated BIOS
    3. Incorrect order followed during installing drivers

Try following the steps mentioned below:
    Uninstall the 'video card drivers'. If the currently installed drivers are corrupt, updating them may not always work.
    - Access 'Device Manager'
    - Expand 'Display Adapters'
    - Right click 'Intel video card' listed and click 'uninstall'
    - Also delete the software if prompted
    - Restart the computer

Update system BIOS (A13 version)
    - Note: Before flashing the BIOS please check the following:-
    - Battery should have 10% or greater charge
    - Adapter should be connected
    - No external devices should be connected
    - All other programs should be closed and documents saved Click on link to download and update the system BIOS: http://dell.to/Tqak2R
    - Click on “Get driver”
    - Right click on it and select 'Run as administrator'

Install the 'video card driver'
    Download the latest driver from support.dell.com: http://dell.to/PSzalI
    Right click the file and 'run as an administrator'
    Restart the laptop and check the video again

If the issue still persists, please share the installation sequence that you followed for installing drivers. You may want to have a glance at the recommended sequence for installing drivers: http://dell.to/NdhToL (All drives listed on the webpage may not be applicable to your laptop)

Hope this helps. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

Thanks & Regards,
    Saurabh A
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, click Here. For helpful Dell Support Videos, you may click Here

All Replies
  • Hi Calle2012,

There may be many possible reasons for the issue:
    1. Corrupt video card drivers
    2. Outdated BIOS
    3. Incorrect order followed during installing drivers

Try following the steps mentioned below:
    Uninstall the 'video card drivers'. If the currently installed drivers are corrupt, updating them may not always work.
    - Access 'Device Manager'
    - Expand 'Display Adapters'
    - Right click 'Intel video card' listed and click 'uninstall'
    - Also delete the software if prompted
    - Restart the computer

Update system BIOS (A13 version)
    - Note: Before flashing the BIOS please check the following:-
    - Battery should have 10% or greater charge
    - Adapter should be connected
    - No external devices should be connected
    - All other programs should be closed and documents saved Click on link to download and update the system BIOS: http://dell.to/Tqak2R
    - Click on “Get driver”
    - Right click on it and select 'Run as administrator'

Install the 'video card driver'
    Download the latest driver from support.dell.com: http://dell.to/PSzalI
    Right click the file and 'run as an administrator'
    Restart the laptop and check the video again

If the issue still persists, please share the installation sequence that you followed for installing drivers. You may want to have a glance at the recommended sequence for installing drivers: http://dell.to/NdhToL (All drives listed on the webpage may not be applicable to your laptop)

Hope this helps. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

Thanks & Regards,
    Saurabh A
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, click Here. For helpful Dell Support Videos, you may click Here

• Thanks a lot, Saurabh

I got it to work. Here is what I did:

I removed the Intel driver, then rebooted *and made sure no automatic updates are possible after the reboot"

Then I used anther computer to d/l the BIOS A13, and also the two Intel drivers found for the E5410.

Then I tried to install the BIOS A13, but it required me to first install BIOS A10. So I downloaded that version again using another computer, and installed A10.

The next step was to install A13 and it installed fine this time.

Then I looked at the two Intel Graphics drivers on the Dell drivers page, and figured that maybe the second one, the smaller and older one, is actually worth a try. So I installed that instead of the one I downloaded and tried before, and it installed just fine.

Then I rebooted and everything is fine.I assume the BIOS was the issue, but I cannot be really sure.

Thanks for your good input.

Yours

Calle2012

• Hi Calle2012,

Glad to see the improvisation; Preventing automatic updates was a wise move. Outdated BIOS is a valid cause for the issue that you were facing. However, corrupt 'graphic card settings' may have been the culprit as well. Since either of the two things may have been equally responsible, I addressed both the 'possible points of failure' in my previous post. Good to see the computer working fine now. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

Thanks & Regards,
    Saurabh A
    #iworkfordell