Bluetooth won't recognize any devices-- Windows 7, 64 bit, E6400

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Bluetooth won't recognize any devices-- Windows 7, 64 bit, E6400

This question has suggested answer(s)

My Latitude E6400 no longer recognizes my bluetooth keyboard.  The bluetooth light is on just above the keyboard.  My wifi connection works.  If I open the control panel and search for a device nothing is found.

I ran services.msc from the command line and used the following fixed I read elsewhere

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/bluetooth-notebook-mouse-5000-cannot-be-used-in/7c540aed-1199-4f5b-aaea-2182b27b7aef

Go to START icon and type in SERVICES.MSC and select SERVICES.  The dialog box that opens has a long list of stuff but look for BLUETOOTH SUPPORT SERVICE and double-click or open it.  Select AUTOMATIC.  Go to the LOG on tab.  Choose LOCAL SYSTEM and it is the road to nowhere.  That HAS been the recommended fix but it never worked for me.  Choose THIS ACCOUNT, instead.  Type in LOCAL SERVICE.  NOW; if you click okay it will say select valid password or such.  NO PROBLEM.   Do this; type in Local Service into the dialog box and then delete the password dots (a 15-dot-string) under password and delete the string under confirm (both password boxes are now empty).  Choose okay.  SUCCESS.  It should then tell you to STOP the service and then to RE-START the service before the change takes effect.  It should now work.

But that did not work.

If I open the device manager I do not see any bluetooth radios

All Replies
  • Hi,

If the Bluetooth Radio is not showing in the device manager it indicates that the device is not being recognized. Please check in Device manager under Other Devices to see if any Bluetooth device is listed. If Bluetooth is listed under ‘other devices’, please install the Bluetooth driver from the link below.
    http://dell.to/MVE199

Enter the service tag of the system. You will be able to find the service tag on a white bar coded sticker at the bottom of the laptop. Choose the operating system you are using and you will be able to find the Bluetooth driver listed under the Network tab.

However, if you do not see the Bluetooth device listed under ‘other devices’. I would recommend you to reset the BIOS to the default settings. Please follow the steps below to reset the BIOS to defaults.

Restart the system and tap on the F2 key on the Dell logo. The BIOS/system setup screen will come up. You can either press Alt and F together to reset it to defaults or use the arrow keys on the keyboard to scroll down to Load Defaults in the Menu options. Once this is done press Esc key to exit BIOS.
    Check in Device manager if the Bluetooth Radio is listed.

If the Bluetooth is still not listed in Device manager as Bluetooth radio or under Other Devices. You can try reseating the Bluetooth card by following the steps below.

Before removing the WPAN Mini-Card(Bluetooth):

1. During installation or removal of any hardware, always ensure all data is backed up properly.
    2. Disconnect any telephone, network, or USB cables from the computer.
    3. Disconnect the computer and all attached devices from their electrical outlets. Press and hold the power button for 10 to 15 seconds
    4. Remove the battery from the system.

Remove the access panel from the system. Remove the one screw securing the access panel to the base of the system.

Slide the access panel toward the front of the system.

Lift the access panel off of the system.Once this is done we will need to open the slot and reseat the Bluetooth(WPAN card).

Remove the screw securing the hinge cover in place. Slide the hinge cover toward the back of the system. Remove the hinge cover from the system.

Disconnect the antenna from the WPAN card. Remove the screw securing the WPAN card in place.

Remove the WPAN card from the system and then reseat it properly, Set the system back up using the same steps and check if the Bluetooth is working.
    If it still doesnt resolve the issue. I am adding you as a friend; please accept my friend request and send me a personal message with the system Service Tag so that I can check the system details and help you accordingly.

Please reply if you have any further questions

Thanks & Regards,
    Dell_Abhishek_B
    #IworkforDell
    To learn more about Dell Products, Services, and Drivers, click Here

• omg

THAT WORKED!@!!!!!\

+infinity!

wle

• just to be clear:

---this is what worked---

Go to START icon and type in SERVICES.MSC and select SERVICES.  The dialog box that opens has a long list of stuff but look for BLUETOOTH SUPPORT SERVICE and double-click or open it.  Select AUTOMATIC.  Go to the LOG on tab.  Choose LOCAL SYSTEM and it is the road to nowhere.  That HAS been the recommended fix but it never worked for me.  Choose THIS ACCOUNT, instead.  Type in LOCAL SERVICE.  NOW; if you click okay it will say select valid password or such.  NO PROBLEM.   Do this; type in Local Service into the dialog box and then delete the password dots (a 15-dot-string) under password and delete the string under confirm (both password boxes are now empty).  Choose okay.  SUCCESS.  It should then tell you to STOP the service and then to RE-START the service before the change takes effect.  It should now work.

===---

wle