Inspiron N5010 won't read blu-ray discs

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Inspiron N5010 won't read blu-ray discs

This question is not answered

I just bought a blu-ray disc and for some reason my laptop won't read it at all. I have another film on blu-ray that used to work fine (I've recently moved countries and don't have that film with me so I can't check that one) but this one won't work. When I've inserted the disc and click "BD-ROM Drive" it says that no disc is inserted. At first I thought it was a problem with Power DVD so I've updated that, and I've installed all the updates available for both Windows and this specific laptop. It still won't read the disc. It reads DVDs just fine but I really don't understand what the problem is. It's definitely a blu-ray player, and I ran the recommended full system diagnostic and it said everything was fine. I also used a lens cleaner disc and still nothing.

What's the problem and what can I do?

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium on an Inspiron N5010.

All Replies
  • Hi,

Welcome to the Community. Which version of Power DVD are you using? The versions supported are Power DVD 9.5.1.3426 (DVD + BD Version)  and Power DVD 3D 9.6.1.3522 (DVD + BD + BD3D Version). It could be an issue with the Region Code as well, so these versions should fix it. Also refer to the below link for help. You will need to try another blu ray disc as well to make sure its not an issue with the drive itself.

support.dell.com/.../document

Thank you.

• I know that my version of power DVD doesn't play blu rays (although it played the other film I had just fine), I have 8.2.5202 so I know that's not meant to work, so I downloaded another programme (VLC Player) that should run blu rays but my computer is still not detecting the disc. It shouldn't be the region- Europe is all one region and I've gone from the UK to Spain and their regular DVDs work fine as well. I think the problem is my computer but I can't test it. I don't have the money to buy another blu-ray disc and that one was really expensive. I'm going to take it back to the shop to get them to test it to see if it's just the disc but I'm fairly certain that it's a problem with my computer. I've already downloaded all the newest firmware and BIOS updates.

• I've also just tried a trial version of Power DVD 12 and it still doesn't read the disc.

• I also took the disc back to the shop and it's working. It's definitely a problem with my laptop but I still can't figure out what. I just watched a normal DVD and it was absolutely fine so I'm now lost as to what the problem is.

• Hi,

The drive will need to be replaced. If you have an Active Warranty, then send me a Private Message, click on my user name, add me as friend adn send me your Name, Service Tag, Phone number and address.

Thank you.