Hard Drive Failed during diagnostic. Error Code 2000-0142

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Hard Drive Failed during diagnostic. Error Code 2000-0142

This question is answered

Dear forum / Dell support guru's,

Please help. I have just run a diagnostic on my broken Inspiron and have the following error message:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Error

Error Code 2000-0142

Validation 27607

Msg: Hard Drive 0 –
S/N WD-WX61E41CHS37, self test unsuccessful. Status = 7

The given code and
message can be used by Dell Technical Support to help diagnose the
problem.

Do you want to continue
testing?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

** Hard Drive 0 – DST
Short Test **

Test Results : Fail

Error Code 2000-0142

Validation 27607

Msg: Hard Drive 0 –
S/N WD-WX61E41CHS37, self test unsuccessful. Status = 7

Verified Answer
  • Hi bonpo_dojo,

The Error Code 2000-0142 indicates hard drive failure. I am sending you a friend request. Please accept it and reply with the Service Tag and the account information through the private message. I will check the warranty status, location, system configuration and help you accordingly.

Please reply with the information.

Glad to be of help.

Thanks and Regards,
    Manpreet C
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6
All Replies
  • Does this error messgage mean that the HD is broken and needs to be replaced?

Please help.

• Hi bonpo_dojo,

The Error Code 2000-0142 indicates hard drive failure. I am sending you a friend request. Please accept it and reply with the Service Tag and the account information through the private message. I will check the warranty status, location, system configuration and help you accordingly.

Please reply with the information.

Glad to be of help.

Thanks and Regards,
    Manpreet C
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6
  • Hi Manpreet,

I shall follow your instructions. Thanks for your help.

• Hi Manpreet, I have the same problem and would really appreciate help. Thanks!

• If the system is under warranty, call Dell with the error and they'll replace the drive.  If it's out of warranty, post the model and someone can recommend a replacement for your faulty hard drive.

• A PSA diag code of 2000-0142 indicates the self test  was unsuccessful and  it could be a cable or connector. Reseat the HDD. Run the PSAs again and if you get the same error replace the HDD but if you get a 2000-0146 that indicates the DST Log contains previous error(s). You can clear the log by booting into BIOS(F2) and selection the option to clear logs.  You could also run chkdsk /r from the command console to see if it resolves the issue. I know it sounds stupid but I've seen it work. If for some reason chkdsk keeps canceling its self use the command chkntfs /t:0.

• I am getting this error message on my out of warranty Dell Inspiron 1545 with Windows 7 OP.  Can you let me know what my replacement is.  Also, I received the following error for the memory test - Memory XMA7S32 Error Code 0123 Msg Error ode 2000-0123.  Memory - Integrity test failed.  I'd appreciate any help.

Thank you

• Remove and reinstall both memory modules - then re-test.  If you see a failure, record which module it was, then swap the two.  Re-test. If the failure follows the memory module, replace that module. If it sticks to the same socket with the other module that didn't fail, it's the socket that's bad - replace the mainboard.

• Hi,

I have a dell inspiron 1545.  It recently crashed while I was on it.  I ran the diagnotic tests and received the following two error codes:

2000-0123

2000-0142

I was told at my local Staples store (where the laptop was purchased less than 3 1/2 years ago) that I need a new hard drive. 

Can you give me some insight on my situation and let me know if it is normal for the hard drive to go so quickly?

I appreciate all and any information you can provide me with.

Thank you!

Michelle

• Notebook hard drives generally begin to fail in large numbers at around the 3 year mark --- the failure rate skyrockets from there and relatively few of them last five years.  So -- what you're seeing is well within the failure curve for drives.

Even retail drives rarely come with more than 3-year warranties (unless they're high performance, higher-cost drives where the manufacturer has built in a replacement allowance to the cost of the drive -- these sometimes carry 5-year warranties).

• All Drives die. Its not a matter of IF its a matter of WHEN.Crying

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here:

Dell - Unresolved Customer Service Issues

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• My Dell Inspiron started doing it today also. please help 

• krystallynn2891

My Dell Inspiron started doing it today also. please help 

Is it under warranty?

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - XP SP3 / Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7

• I am not sure I have had it almost a year so must likely not 

• Hi krystallynn2891,

Depending on the warranty status we can help you further, please use the link below to check the warranty status.

http://dell.to/1eoF12E

Please punch in the system service tag or express service code. In case your system warranty has expired please contact the Out of Warranty department 1-800-288-4410 (U.S.Customer only). In case your system is under warranty please send me the system service tag or express service code through a private chat, so that I can help you further.

Click on my username select start a private conversation and send me the details.

Thanks and regards,
    Senthil S
    #iworkfordell.
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US / India . For Dell support videos click here.