DVD/Optical drive spins coming out of sleep

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

DVD/Optical drive spins coming out of sleep

This question is not answered

Since about 3 days ago, every time I lift the lid on my inspirion 1525 to bring it out of sleep the optical drive spins/whirs/buzzes very loudly. When the screen comes up I see the cd icon next to the cursor but there is no disk in the drive.

It's really annoying. Never had any issues with the drive before.

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks.

All Replies
  • Hi docbengal,

Use this link to run the Microsoft Fix It application to resolve this issue:

support.microsoft.com/.../en-us

Update the latest firmware for the DVD drive from the support site. Follow the below mentioned steps:

Click Start - type Device Manager in the search box. In Device Manager, expand DVD drive and note the model number. Open www.support.dell.com. (Enter the service tag and choose the operating system to narrow down the search for the correct DVD firmware)

Under the category 'Removable Storage', locate the correct driver according to the model number and  install it.

Run the custom scan on DVD drive using PC Check up from Dell Support Center. If you need to install Dell Support Center please use this link:

www.dell.com/.../dsc_home

Please reply with the results.

Thanks and Regards
    Satya P
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

If a post answers your question, please click the green "
    Yes" button.

• The most recent firmware was the one my machine came installed with. Ran a diagnostic on the drive and it came up 100% clean. I've even tried uninstalling it and it still did it. Disabling the drive doesn't stop it either.

• Hi docbengal,

May I know if the DVD drive spins every time the lid is opened or does it spin only while coming out of sleep?

Disable sleep mode in Power options and check if the issue can be replicated.

This seems to be a mechanical issue with the Reed switch which is used to put the laptop on sleep/hibernation mode when the lid is closed. The Reed switch consists of a magnetic sensor which can turn on/off  sleep mode with any magnetic interference.

I hope this will help us isolate the issue further and locate the exact point of failure.

Thanks and Regards
    Satya P
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

Yes" button.

• I gave that a shot and it's not just when I lift the lid, it's any time the laptop is coming out of sleep or powering on. Thanks for the continued help.

• Hi,

Update the system BIOS to the latest version using the below given link:

www.dell.com/.../inspiron-1525

I would suggest you to try one more step: Open Notepad and put the system to sleep. After the system comes out of sleep, check if the notepad is visible.

Please reply with the results.

Thanks and Regards
    Satya P
    #iworkfordell

Yes" button.

• So before I saw this I happened to have given the laptop a whack on it's bottom. Since then, this problem has not reoccurred and the drive still works with no noticeable issues. Problem solved.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.