MY DELL INSPIRON 1545 HAS BLACK SCREEN WITH WHITE CURSOR-WON'T BOOT UP

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

MY DELL INSPIRON 1545 HAS BLACK SCREEN WITH WHITE CURSOR-WON'T BOOT UP

This question is not answered

Thread created by CA0518

AFTER COMPLETING WINDOWS UPDATES MY LAPTOP'S STUCK ON A BLACK SCREEN WITH BLINKING WHITE CURSOR. I CAN'T RESTORE BECAUSE IT WON'T BOOT UP OR GO INTO SAFE MODE (I'VE TRIED PRESSING F8 REPEATEDLY DURING START UP). PLEASE HELP!

All Replies
  • AFTER COMPLETING WINDOWS UPDATES MY LAPTOP'S STUCK ON A BLACK SCREEN WITH BLINKING WHITE CURSOR. I CAN'T RESTORE BECAUSE IT WON'T BOOT UP OR GO INTO SAFE MODE (I'VE TRIED PRESSING F8 REPEATEDLY DURING START UP). PLEASE HELP!

• If you remove the hard drive, can you get into a BIOS prompt (F2 at powerup)?

• yes

• Reinstall the drive and see if you can still get in.  If you can, restart, press F12 and run a full hard drive diagnostic.  If you cannot, the drive is toast - replace it with a new one.

• thank you!

• best place to get a new hard drive? and you think this will fix it?

• newegg.com is one of the best online resellers.  Assuming the system does power up to a BIOS screen with drive removed, replacing it with a new one should solve the problem.

• I'm having the same issue. I have a dell Inspiron 1300, I'm able to click F2, and it says it's going to Boot options, but goes to a black screen with a white cursor. I took the hard drive out, and tried to do that again, and the same thing happened.. I can't load the window's xp disk. I can't do the Ctrl+F11 option, I can't do F8, I can't do F2. I'm running out of patience. Help please...

• If the system won't get to a BIOS prompt even with the hard drive removed, try removing and reinstalling the memory module(s).  If it won't power up thereafter, replace the mainboard.

• how do I remove and reinstall the memory module(s)? I can get it to power on, and it goes into the loading screen. It finishes the Dell Logo Screen, and then goes to the black screen with the white cursor.

• Unplug the system, remove the battery and hold the power button for 30 sec.  The memory module/s is/are under a door at the bottom of the system - just remove and reinstall them.

If you can get to a BIOS prompt but still get the blinking underscore, remove the hard drive -- remove the hard drive AND the CD/DVD drive - if that lets the system complete the power up, one of the two devices is faulty.

If not, it's the mainboard that's faulty.

• memory modules are the ram, right? lol sorry kinda not computer savvy

• Oh, and apparently, I don't have an Optical Drive. I have an empty slot on my laptop on the side, and it has a little button next to it. I never knew what it was.. But there's nothing in the slot.

• ^^^ I was wrong, sorry was looking at something else. I do have one :)

• I've removed the hard drive, and the optical drive. I've removed and reinstalled the Ram cards, and still doesn't go past the Dell logo screen..