Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Overheating and shutting down, N5110

This question has suggested answer(s)

Hi, my laptop is Dell N5110 (Inspiron 15R),
recently I noticed that my laptop is overheating very fast
mostly during games. And after a while is shutting down in the middle due to
high temperature.
 The laptop is 10 month old, from last September i think.
 I never cleaned it inside nor changed the main software
(Win 7) .

I still have warranty on the Dell which expire in two month, 
and another in two years (not sure what each is doing).

Therefore I am afraid to open it up and clean it by myself,
which i'd prefer actually rather than taking it to repair.

I there any suggestions? Is it possible for it to get so dirty after 10 month to overheat like this?
should I clean it?

Is me opening the computer by myself affect the warranty?!

Thanks in advance for the helpers :) 

All Replies
  • Before you dismantle it, remove the battery and unplug the system.  Use a good vacuum cleaner to try pulling as much dust out of the vents as possible. That may be enough to reduce the temperatures.

• Hi,

Welcome to Dell community forums.

I am really sorry to hear about overheating issues with your computer. First check the air cooling vents and make sure that the passages are not clogged with lint and other stuff.

Simply raising your laptop off of any flat surface will allow fresh, cool air to come in from the intake on the bottom of the laptop. This will solve many of the heat issues you might be having.

Also, let it be known that you should NEVER have your laptop on any type of soft surface, such as a pillow, blanket, thick carpet, etc.; Doing so will not allow ANY cool air to enter the fan intake, and could cause more system hang ups and permanent component damage. Keep it on a flat, hard surface at all times

Remove the battery and charger/ac adapter/power cord from your Dell N5110 (Inspiron 15R)  notebook, press and hold the power button for 20 seconds to discharge any residual current inside the laptop. This clears your RAM and is like hardware reset. Replace the battery and charger/ac adapter/power cord and turn your Dell N5110 (Inspiron 15R) notebook on.

Boot in "safe mode". As it starts up press F8, the computer asks you if you'd like to start in safe mode. Highlight "safe mode" and press enter. See if your Dell N5110 (Inspiron 15R) notebook works normal.

If the problem persists, did you check if it could be your notebook power cord or power source problem? Insufficient power might cause error messages that are misleading. Take the battery out and power on your notebook with the charger only. Make sure your notebook power jack and charger plug tip are securely connected. Did you notice the power jack loose?

I can suggest you some steps which might fix this issue, kindly follow the following steps:

1) Run the Dell Diagnostics.

In Order to Run the Dell Diagnostics, kindly click on the below mentioned URL to get the instructions on How to run the PSA Diagnostics , and an Error Code list with Possible solutions:

http://dell.to/eR01lf

2) Update the Bios Of your computer by clicking on the below URL:

http://dell.to/uIo3ef

*As an owner of the system you are allowed to open your system and follow the steps guided by dell to you, in case as a result of your action if there is any induced damage to the system you might have to pay for the repair.

Please reply in case you have any questions.

Thanks & Regards

Dell_Debbie_B

Dell Social Media Responder

http://www.facebook.com/Dell

http://twitter.com/#%21/dell

dellvlog?blend=1&ob=4

Thanks & Regards
    Debbie B
    #iworkfordell

• Hi Debbie/Dear Dell,

Aren't you guys tired of posting these lame advises in an pathetic attempt to hide the truth, which is that this model of Dell laptop, N5110 regardless of what CPU+GPU it has inside, has a MAJOR design flaw in its cooling system! The vent openings for both the intake of the cool air and the blowout of the hot air are of insufficient size! The budget solution of having only one heat sink to accommodate both the GPU and the CPU can be described only as hilarious and a stingy approach for a company of your size. I can think of only one benefit of this design, but it's not for us, the end users - it's for you, the manufacturer/manipulator, as the higher operating temperature will greatly reduce the life span of the laptop thus we'll have to buy another one lot sooner than we thought. You'll say that you are giving a three years warranty, but who are you to decide how long should I use a product of yours? And why should we accept as normal the high temperature spread on the outside of the laptop? No one is comfortable of having to stroke a key that is 40-50 degrees of Celsius hot. And the brilliant idea to host the HDD on the left is another benefit for us the EUs to do not get too cold in the winter I guess, as when we use the mouse (yes, some of us use an external mouse) the palm of the left hand is resting on this nice hot 5400 rpm HDD and the fingers right above the CPU+GPU! How dare you ask money for this product of yours and letting so many people down as they have trusted you from years before when your products were quality. Think about if I will EVER buy a product branded Dell - not going to happen!

Last but not least, on the intake opening underneath the laptop, you guys have not cut out the whole area for the cool air to come in -  the space there is marked and printed out fine in a grid sort of shape and it is spaced out in four columns, but only 75% of the plastic is actually cut off - 25% (the outer column) is still made of solid plastic and covers the outer side of the fins of the vent where the fins rotate in a desperate effort to get the air if only the plastic was not in the way!?!? Nice engineering :).

I won't go into the noisy and loose keyboard and the loose and squeaky screen bezel or the loose and fragile DVD drives laptop casing extension ...

Have a good day greedy company!

PS: My 'laptop' is just two weeks old and has one of the weakest Intel 'i' series CPU - i3-2350m with GPU GT525.

• Typical, the big corporation drown in silence, rethinking and considering carefully every word to make any eventual statement of some volume but of no content.

• No one would bother to answer here, not even to my email?  You guys rock :) and a proof of this is today's email I got from you with some bull#@it ads offering me to shop for your latitude series laptops. Is this your answer to my complaint?! Jesus, how low can you get!

• Hello "Dell Costumer Support",

I also made the mistake in buying a Dell Inspiron N5110. I thought that the Dell brand still stands for something but I was proven wrong.

In less than 6 months I have changed 2 motherboards. After 4 months i changed the 1st. A month after that I changed the 2nd one. I used the laptop only for web-browsing. I currently still have my laptop in the service were I refuse to pick it up as they do not even want to give me a re-fund.

This product is pathetic! What is beyond pathetic is your lack of customer support!

I cannot even find it when I want to register it in Product Support. This proves that you do recognize it as no longer being your product! 

When I input the Service tag as requested I get this:

OptiPlex GXA
    Service Tag:
    N5110

I know that I probably will not get any answer as seen from this thread or if I get one it will still not solve my problem, but I think at least venting some of the anger that this whole experience has caused me will do me some good.

It will also make me remember what your brand now stands for and I will make sure that others will also know! 

Thank you Dell for this great experience and for my birthday nonetheless! 

I sympathize with all who bought a factory malfunctioning product! 

• One of the problems dell has is that the fan removes heat by blowing on little aluminum cooling fins. the heat sink draws the heat from the CPU and video chip down to the cooling fins where the fan blows the heat out the side of the laptop. Those fins is where dust collects and the bad part is that the dust is on the side of the fins you can't see. A layer of dust eventually builds up over the fins blocking the exhaust.

those fins are so close together that a vaccum likely will not do the job and compressed air will just blow the dust back into the fan. The fan needs to be removed and the fins can be properly cleaned off, Thats where dell made it hard and could have made it easier to get at the fan. I have a dell and Asus laptops. Asus did it right by making the fan access as simple as getting at the ram. Remove a panel on the bottom and there is the fan. Now with a dell you have to remove the keyboard, palmrest, dvd drive and what else just to get at the fan

let me add that this might not be the cause of your overheating problem but it can add to it by not getting the heat out and causing temps to rise

• DELL IS A MISTAKE!

• OKAY HERE IS THE DEAL

FOLLOW THE FOLLOWING STEPS

1.CHECK THAT IS THE PROCESSOR FAN WORKING

2.IT SHOULD NOT.THATS WHY LAPTOP SHUTS DOWN

3.TO ELIMINATE THIS YOU WILL HAVE TO TALK TO A LAPTOP EXPERT AND ASK HIM TO CLEAN THE INTERIOR OF THE LAPTOP

4.THE FAN STOPS DUE TO DUST PRESENT AROUND ITS SURROUNDING

5.IT WORKED FOR ME.HOPE IT WOULD FOR YOU.

6.GOOD LUCK

• Mine was not an overheating problem. Not even sure I can explain. My computer only shut down when I was typing. So I purchased an inexpensive keyboard from Best But and plugged it into a USB port. Alas, my computer worked fine. Every few days I would speak to a supervisor in India. He asked if I was wearing jewelry. BOTTOM LINE: He deactivated a magnet that allows the computer to shut down when you close the lid. That was 10 days ago and so far, so good. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Dear Customer support,

my laptop is Dell N5110 (Inspiron 15R), it suddenly shutdown when I try to type on the keyboard. Then I tried more and more to open it again, but it didn't work. After a while, I opened it, and when I tried to write something again, it suddenly shutdown, and so on.

Could you provide me a solution as soon as possible, please? 

• Dear EPCRAWFORD,

Could you provide me with the exact solution to this problem, as I faced it from time to time. 

Thanks in advance.

• Dear Tarek Radwan,

here is a solution for you - NEVER BUY DELLs budget series!

• Dear baraev,

Unfortunately, you are TOTALLY right.

My previous laptop (N5110) had the same problem after 10 days from purchasing data. I went to Dell support more than 7 times to repair it.

Finally, they gave me another one. Immediately after the warranty finished, I faced the same problem in the new one.

• Well At least Your Shops don't sell any laptops or PC not genuine , especially dells , i got same as yours and same vents problem , especially at graphic card vent , which was working well before months ,  really funny , here they sell laptop , the original price is around 299$ , but price here would be 300~400 $ , i am  living in Bahrain , if i buy online cheaper