Dell Inspiron 1564 recovery F8 not working - General Hardware - Laptop - Dell Community

Dell Inspiron 1564 recovery F8 not working

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell Inspiron 1564 recovery F8 not working

This question has been answered by Helpman2013

I have a 2 year old Dell Inspiron 1564 running Windows 7 home edition. I want to restore it to factory settings (which i have done once before) but f8 won't let me go to the screen when the Dell logo appears at startup. i remember having this problem last time and i can't figure out what i did to resolve it... i've tried every f button, even combined ctrl with it, but nothing works! anyone have a hint?

Verified Answer
  • HI inducedjoy,

Thank you for the response. since the above mentioned steps has not resolved the issue with the system . I would request you to try these steps so that we can isolate if it is a hardware or software issue.

• Please connect an External keyboard and check if you are able to get into the F8 screen.

• You can also initiate the inbuilt diagnostics to check if the keyboard on the laptop is fine

Below mentioned are the steps to run the diagnostics for your system model

1. Shut down the system.

2. Press and hold the Fn key (Function) and simultaneously press the power button you will see a Blue   screen which says Preboot system assessment.

3. This will initiate and test on the system which would run for another 10 minutes Once the test completes it would give you options saying Test memory or Test System

4. Choose the option Test system

5. Which will take you to a graphical user interface screen with 4 options Express Test, Extended Test, Custom Test and Symptom Tree.

6. Please choose the option which reads Custom Test under which you will find Keyboard Diagnostics follow the onscreen instructions to check if the Keyboard keys are working fine.

Hope this resolves the issue with the system.

Thank You Sujay K

sujay_kumar

Certified Dell Community Professional

• After 3 hours of struggling with the same problem and reading dozens of web pages and forum posts on the subject, I discovered the solution through my own experimentation.

Everybody is saying you need to press F8 when the Dell logo is on the screen, but it turns out that is actually bad advice and doing so will ensure you NEVER see the recovery option.

Instead, what you need to do is turn off the computer, then boot up and start tapping the F8 key the instant the Dell logo disappears from the screen.

Again, if you tap the F8 key while the logo is on the screen, IT WILL NOT WORK.

You must only tap the key once the logo disappears.  You have a very brief window of opportunity, so be ready to start tapping the second the logo goes away.

All Replies
  • Hi inducedjoy,

Welcome to the Community. I see that you are not able to get to the F8 screen where you can find the advanced options for the system. I would suggest you try shutting down the system and remove the battery, also disconnect the adapter if connected. Once you have done this press and hold the power button for 15 seconds and please make sure there is no power supply to the system. After you have held the power button for 15 seconds release the power button and connect the adapter and the battery back to the system and as soon as you power on the system start tapping the F8 key repeatedly. You should be able to get into the F8 Screen.

Hope this resolves your issue

Thank You Sujay K

sujay_kumar

• Hey! thanks for the response, but that didn't solve my problem

• HI inducedjoy,

Thank you for the response. since the above mentioned steps has not resolved the issue with the system . I would request you to try these steps so that we can isolate if it is a hardware or software issue.

• Please connect an External keyboard and check if you are able to get into the F8 screen.

• You can also initiate the inbuilt diagnostics to check if the keyboard on the laptop is fine

Below mentioned are the steps to run the diagnostics for your system model

1. Shut down the system.

2. Press and hold the Fn key (Function) and simultaneously press the power button you will see a Blue   screen which says Preboot system assessment.

3. This will initiate and test on the system which would run for another 10 minutes Once the test completes it would give you options saying Test memory or Test System

4. Choose the option Test system

5. Which will take you to a graphical user interface screen with 4 options Express Test, Extended Test, Custom Test and Symptom Tree.

6. Please choose the option which reads Custom Test under which you will find Keyboard Diagnostics follow the onscreen instructions to check if the Keyboard keys are working fine.

Hope this resolves the issue with the system.

Thank You Sujay K

sujay_kumar

• Sujay,

I plugged in an external keyboard which did not solve the problem. While trying to bring up the diagnostics screen, I also had no luck. I distinctly remember while trying to do this before, and after a few hours of googling, it turned out to be a combination of buttons. However, I haven't been able to remember exactly what it was I was doing wrong the first time.

• Try pressing function (FN) with F8.

• FN + F8 doesn't work for me

•  HI Inducedjoy,

Thank you for the response. Since we have tried to go to the F8 screen with an external Keyboard which still did not work . I would suspect that you would have to check the motherboard for consistency as the system is not able to take the command neither with the integrated keyboard nor with an external source which indicates that it is not a problem with the integrated Keyboard. would request you to check on the same and revert for any further queries.  

Just wanted to know if you have already tried the below mentioned steps if YES it confirms that it’s the motherboard issue.

• Does the system load into windows without an issue (if yes) Are you able to use all the keys inside the operating system.

• Please go to the bios screen that’s if the F2 key on the system works fine and under the advanced tab you have an option which says function key behavior with two sub options,

(1) Function key first

(2) Multimedia key first

Would request you to check these options and change them vice versa and check if there is any progress.

• Please ensure that the above steps have been performed and if it still remains the same then as mentioned earlier we would have to check the  motherboard for consistency.

Hope this information helps you

Thank You Sujay K

Sujay_Kumar

• After 3 hours of struggling with the same problem and reading dozens of web pages and forum posts on the subject, I discovered the solution through my own experimentation.

Everybody is saying you need to press F8 when the Dell logo is on the screen, but it turns out that is actually bad advice and doing so will ensure you NEVER see the recovery option.

Instead, what you need to do is turn off the computer, then boot up and start tapping the F8 key the instant the Dell logo disappears from the screen.

Again, if you tap the F8 key while the logo is on the screen, IT WILL NOT WORK.

You must only tap the key once the logo disappears.  You have a very brief window of opportunity, so be ready to start tapping the second the logo goes away.

• YOU have solved it! Thank you so so SO much!!!

• thank you! this helps a lot. i couldn't find the answer anywhere!

• This worked! On the first try, too. I made a forums account just to say thank you, and underline for everyone reading that this is the fix for the f8 issue you are looking for. Thank you, Helpman! :D
  • Hello All, I read all of your forum and I'm having the same problem and can not get in to F8 at ALL and I keep getting a message BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO. I'm in big trouble or what.... I'm stuck !!! Bad Mother or HD. I did the system test and it came back good.???? Thanks