Graphics card upgrade for a Dell Studio XPS 16

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Graphics card upgrade for a Dell Studio XPS 16

This question is answered

I am currently in the process of reassessing my computer needs and I want to know whether it is at all possible to upgrade my laptop's graphics card. I have an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 in my Dell Studio XPS 16 and I have a burning desire to upgrade, I am not bothered by giving up my warranty, I purely want to know whether it is at all possible to upgrade.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, for my knowledge is very limited.

Verified Answer
  • Hi DJProzesky,

Welcome to the Community.

If you have a Studio XPS 1647 you have an option to upgrade the graphics card to ATI Mobility Radeon™HD 5730(Graphics integrated on motherboard code named 'Madison').  You have to change the mother board to be able to upgrade to ATI Mobility Radeon™HD 5730.

Glad to be of help.

Thanks and Regards
    Satya P
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

If a post answers your question, please click the green "
    Yes" button.

All Replies
  • Hi DJProzesky,

Welcome to the Community.

If you have a Studio XPS 1647 you have an option to upgrade the graphics card to ATI Mobility Radeon™HD 5730(Graphics integrated on motherboard code named 'Madison').  You have to change the mother board to be able to upgrade to ATI Mobility Radeon™HD 5730.

Glad to be of help.

Thanks and Regards
    Satya P
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

Yes" button.

• I sincerely appreciate your timely reply. How much would it cost to replace the motherboard and install the new graphics card (if I plan to do it in the UK)?

• Hi DJProzesky,

You are welcome.  I am not sure about the cost involved but I suggest you to contact Dell Technical Suppport in UK to check if they sell the required mother board.

Please use this link to contact Dell Support in UK : support.euro.dell.com/.../index.aspx

If you wish to purchase the system board in USA you can contact our Out of Warranty Repair and Spares department on

1-800-288-4410.

Thanks and Regards
    Satya P
    #iworkfordell

Yes" button.

• In the US, boards run about $300 or so, refurbished.