Dell Latitude E6320 - BIOS upgrade instructions issue - A08 or A09 pre-req?

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell Latitude E6320 - BIOS upgrade instructions issue - A08 or A09 pre-req?

This question is answered

I have recently found a new BIOS updates for the Dell Latitude E6320.  The most recent one is A12 - and it has inconsistent instructions / pre-requisites on how to upgrade.  In one place, it clearly says that you must first flash to A08.  In another, it says you must be on at least A09.

Does anyone know which is correct? Before flashing to A12 do we need to first flash to A09, or are we okay if we flash to A08 and then A12?

If we have to flash to A09, can someone please provide a link to A09?  If A10 and A11 are available, please supply a link for those as well. I would like to see the change logs for each step along the way. I tracked down A08, but cannot find A09 - A11 anywhere.

You can see the inconsistent instructions on the A12 page: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=K8YF2&FileId=2895804217&productCode=latitude-e6320&urlProductCode=False

On the A12 page, under "Important Information" it says:

• Please note that if the A05 or after A05 BIOS and before A08 is currently installed on your system you must first update to A08 BIOS and then flash to the latest A-rev BIOS.

But under "Fixes & Enhancements" it says:

• Please note that if the A03 or after A03 BIOS and before A09 is currently installed on your system you must first update to A09 BIOS and then flash to the latest A-rev BIOS.

Thanks.  

Note: The A08 BIOS can be found here: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails?driverId=FRFW0&fileId=2895804217  I have successfully flashed from A07 to A08.  My preferred method is to copy (for example) the E6320A08.exe file to a bootable USB stick, boot to that stick and then run the .exe from there.

Verified Answer
  • To summarize the answer to the original question - before installing the A12 BIOS on the Dell Latitude E6320, if one's machine is already on A05 - A07, then they must first flash to A08. (If the machine is on A04 or earlier, they must first flash to A05, then A08, then finally A12.)

I would also like to thank Dell for cleaning up the confusing instructions elsewhere on the page for A12 that mentioned the A09 BIOS.  The A12 BIOS can be found here: www.dell.com/.../DriverDetails

All Replies
  • To add to this:

If I access my E6320 via its service tag, A12 does not show up. If I access it it generically, A12 does show up. So what is going on?

• hgratt, I feel your pain.  I am constantly being presented with patches that I've already applied. Or I am not shown new patches. That's worse because I have to scroll through all the updates and try to decide what's new and what's relevant.

I went ahead and applied the A12 BIOS update, with the A08 BIOS in place. It worked. I hope Dell will clean up their instructions.

So in answer to my original question, it appears you can upgrade from the A08 BIOS.

That being said .... related to the BIOS update - I think there may be an error in A12.  (Unless this is a side effect from skipping A09?? But in that case I would think the BIOS update just wouldn't work??)

I am no longer able to plug my phone directly into my laptop.  The phone is a Samsung Focus (Windows Phone 7).  When I plug the phone into my Dell Latitude E6320 with BIOS A12, using the OEM USB cable, I get an error message: USB Device Not Recognized.  Clicking on the message I get further details - the location of the device is shown as USB Root Hub (2 ports) - Generic USB Hub (8 ports) - Unknown Device.  An additional error description says "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it."  The phone also does NOT show that it is being charged.

I get this error when I plug the USB into either the USB port or the combo eSata port.  However if I plug the USB cord into my dock (yes the laptop is docked), the laptop recognizes the phone correctly and the phone shows that it is being charged.

When I go into Device Manager, it shows up under Universal Serial Bus controllers as "Unknown Device".  On the Properties General tab it shows a Device status = Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

I have tried removing, uninstalling, updating driver (auto and by going to C:\Program Fiels\Zune), nothing has worked.

I did not test this during the couple of days I was on the A08 BIOS, I am almost positive that it worked with the A07 BIOS though I can't say with 100% certainty.

Is it a BIOS problem? A setup / configuration setting I need to change? Should I be reporting this elsewhere?

• ekoostik, by any chance does your 6320 have the Dell Wireless 5630 Multi-Mode EVDO-HSPA mini card? When I tried to update the software utility/driver with the one presented sometime in June, it would progress to a point and then insist on my inserting a CD which had the "feature" it was looking for. I subsequently canceled the installation.

BTW, can you downgrade to A08 to verify if what your seeing is a BIOS issue?

Thanks,

Harvey

• My wireless device is listed as Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6250 AGN.

I downgraded to A08 and still have the same problem described above where my phone is not recognized by the laptop. I had not previously tested at A08.  Is it safe to continue backing up? With my home PCs I never have a problem going forward or back. But I've not run into a situation like Dell creates where they say you must flash a certain BIOS before moving further up the list.  Makes me wonder what happens when you go backwards.  And I really don't want to brick a work laptop. They wouldn't be amused.

• Time for someone from Dell to chime in with a response.

• Oddity of all oddities.  Still on A08, as posted previously: It works with the OEM USB cable only when my phone is connected through the dock, or through a dock-connected peripheral (i.e., connected to my monitor - a Dell 2407WFP, which is in turn connected to the dock).  It does NOT work when connected to the laptop's USB or combo eSata port.  I tested both with the laptop docked and not docked.

I tried all kinds of changes in hardware manager and with the drivers. I also tried popping out the battery and letting the laptop sit (some forums said this worked for them). And I uninstalled & re-installed Zune.

Today I used a different USB cable - and it worked.  A non-OEM, shorter (maybe 6 inch) cable. And it works.  Scratching my head but I guess we'll chalk it up to finicky USB.

I'll be flashing back to A12 soon. Dell, if you could update your A12 instructions to change the A09 pre-requisite listed under "Fixes & Enhancements" to A08 as listed under "Important Information" - and provide a change log for A08 - A12 or make A09-A11 available - that'd be helpful.

• Any luck with the new USB cable and A12?

• I have just flashed back (flash forward?) to A12 again.  As before, the OEM cable in the two side ports (USB and combo eSata/USB) does not work.  I expect given past testing that when the laptop is docked the OEM cable would work in the dock's USB ports. I don't have the dock on hand at the moment so can't check, but it worked earlier in the week when I tested on A12.

However, the two side ports work perfectly fine when I use a non-OEM USB cable.

A08 & A12 operate the same in this regard. It appears likely to be an issue with the OEM cable or the connection between the OEM cable and these two side ports.  So much for Samsung's suggestion that you ONLY use their 'specialized' cable!

• I'm having this same problem.  The "USB Not Recognized" error constantly pops up on my Dell Inspiron 1545 Running Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2.  I initially noticed it while trying to sync my iPhone.    I've since unplugged and rebooted and it still pops the error (ie nothing is plugged into any ports, I restacked the USB devices, etc. and it still is not recognizing nothing).  My mini-usb mouse has power to it, but no functionality.  I've tried restacking the USB devices, full BIOS updates, etc. Everything is showing up to date on my system from Dell, but still having the problem.  My iPhone, iPad 2 get power, but no recognition in My Computer, iTunes, etc.  My printer does work via USB.  It's in any or all ports (I have two ports on my left side and one on the right side).

I used a program to determine where its happening and the only one popping is Port 3, Hub 8. 

Anything from Dell, in other forumns they are considering it cardset upgrades.  It was fine one day and not the next.  I can't tell you I did anything in between that would have done it.  I did all BIOS & Driver updates after I had the problem.

• All my USB problems have proven to be resolved by using a different USB cable (and in this case, a shorter, non-ORM cable). Oddly enough, today my original OEM cable stopped working on the dock's USB ports so now it's basically useless with this machine.

I would like to say that Dell has updated their instructions for the A12 BIOS and removed the confusing reference to A09. I am going to add another post sumarizing this. Since the original post was about the BIOS, new threads should be started for USB or other questions.

• To summarize the answer to the original question - before installing the A12 BIOS on the Dell Latitude E6320, if one's machine is already on A05 - A07, then they must first flash to A08. (If the machine is on A04 or earlier, they must first flash to A05, then A08, then finally A12.)

I would also like to thank Dell for cleaning up the confusing instructions elsewhere on the page for A12 that mentioned the A09 BIOS.  The A12 BIOS can be found here: www.dell.com/.../DriverDetails