XPS M1530 won't boot/ won't eject dvd

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

XPS M1530 won't boot/ won't eject dvd

This question is answered

Hi. all

I've got a problem which I probably could have avoided. Last night i was finishing a movie with my laptop hooked to my tv and as i was closing down the movie the media player became no-responsive. Not sure what exactly I told it to do but, end program or what (it was late), and the dvd would also not eject quickly so I just shut the lid and went to bed. Today when I tried to restart I could hear everything power up, the hard drive spin up, and also the DVD spin up, the whole time with no display. I have had the problem with dvd eject before, with the computer trying to boot from the disk in the CD/DVD drive, but I think I had display last time. This time I don't get anything at all from the display. I'm suspicous that it has to do with having the external display (TV) going while it encountered the problem. I tried starting up with the TV hooked up again but, no luck. I feel like this could have been avoided by dealing with the media player freezing last night, but too late now.

Any suggestions guys, before I dissassemble to remove the disk and trying to restart without it.

Thanks in advance!!

Verified Answer
  • Welcome to the all infamous problem of the xps 1530! I have it, and it happened to me.  Hope you already solved the problem if not here is whats wrong, your GPU soldering has finally cracked and gave way. It just happened to me a month ago and there is a temporary fix for this.

There is no need to dismantle the entire laptop ( you probably did already). Take out the cover that holds the ram/cpu/fan, take out the RAM, GPU and Fan and use a blow dryer/heat Gun to heat up the GPU, which is the two chips located south of the CPU and East of the RAM. 

If using a heat gun, do it for 45 to 50 secs, with a blower dryer you can do it up to 15 mins,  focus on the sides/corners.

Now let it cool off for a bit and plug it all back in and it should work. There are tons of videos on youtube and the internet about this problem, this is only a temporary fix and it will happen again within a month. You will need a new laptop since getting the GPU reball or a new mother board isn't even worth the price. 

Have fun!..

• Last year I repaired a motherboard.  I used  a heat gun on the bottom to preheat the board and a ceramic element Hakko soldering iron on the joints. It was hard to flow the tiny lead free solder joints. Jewelers loop came in handy. I wish I had a high temp soldering station but managed success w/ what I had.

I noticed some on youtube using a torch which is hot enough but looks like it would be difficult to flow the solder w/o burning the board. I guess the heat gun just moves cracked joint around enough for temporary contact w/o reflowing the crack; probably temporarily cleans off some oxidation between cracks. One youtube guy ( mixcatcom) offers a repair service using a professional IR reflow station.

I would try DIY reflow but would recommend professional service to those who don't enjoy electronics repair.

All Replies
  • Does your laptop have a 1/16" hole in optical drive into which you already tried to insert a paper clip to manually eject DVD?

• No, unfortunately it is a slot drive with out the manual eject.

• Have you tried pressing F2 repeatedly during power-up to enter BIOS then pressing ejection button above keyboard?

Have you tried powering down laptop, removing batt, position slot down, gently patting laptop?

• Yes, I have attempted all of the above. During F2 or F10 attempts, I can't tell if it is booting differently because I have no display, but I do still hear the DVD spin up trying to boot from disk. When I press the eject I do not even hear it attempt to eject so I don' believe it is jammed, but I did try turning it over anyway.

• I own the same laptop. Go to "Computer" , highlight the DVD drive (don't open it just highlight it), right click, chose eject DVD. Hope this helps.

• Please read my posts, I do not have any display once so ever. Not even a blank screen, the screen doesn't seem to power up.

Update: Dissassembled and removed the optical drive, took it apart and removed the DVD. Now after it have been reassembled and powered up, it tries to read a disk, but obviously there isn't one there. I have noticed that simply taking apart the optical drive has not allowed the itself to reset mechanically so all of its internal components have stayed in the position as if a disk was still inside. i.e. the drive has put up its little metal gate to not allow you to put another disk in, because it is set as if it still has one. 

Any info on how to reset the optical drive after the disk is removed???? It is a Panasonic Model UJ-875.

Thanks

• Welcome to the all infamous problem of the xps 1530! I have it, and it happened to me.  Hope you already solved the problem if not here is whats wrong, your GPU soldering has finally cracked and gave way. It just happened to me a month ago and there is a temporary fix for this.

There is no need to dismantle the entire laptop ( you probably did already). Take out the cover that holds the ram/cpu/fan, take out the RAM, GPU and Fan and use a blow dryer/heat Gun to heat up the GPU, which is the two chips located south of the CPU and East of the RAM. 

If using a heat gun, do it for 45 to 50 secs, with a blower dryer you can do it up to 15 mins,  focus on the sides/corners.

Now let it cool off for a bit and plug it all back in and it should work. There are tons of videos on youtube and the internet about this problem, this is only a temporary fix and it will happen again within a month. You will need a new laptop since getting the GPU reball or a new mother board isn't even worth the price. 

Have fun!..

• Last year I repaired a motherboard.  I used  a heat gun on the bottom to preheat the board and a ceramic element Hakko soldering iron on the joints. It was hard to flow the tiny lead free solder joints. Jewelers loop came in handy. I wish I had a high temp soldering station but managed success w/ what I had.

I noticed some on youtube using a torch which is hot enough but looks like it would be difficult to flow the solder w/o burning the board. I guess the heat gun just moves cracked joint around enough for temporary contact w/o reflowing the crack; probably temporarily cleans off some oxidation between cracks. One youtube guy ( mixcatcom) offers a repair service using a professional IR reflow station.

I would try DIY reflow but would recommend professional service to those who don't enjoy electronics repair.

• Thanks, worked like a dream.

• I'll to look into getting it fixed proper if this is the only thing that is wrong with it.