Inspirion 1720 how do i change brightness w/o the use of fn+arrow

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Inspirion 1720 how do i change brightness w/o the use of fn+arrow

This question is answered

Greetings.

Simple question. I have Dell Inspirion 1720 notebook, and my up arrow is out of order. I need to increase my brightness, and on this model, it is done by FN+up/down arrow. Obviously i cannot use that because the up arrow isnt working anymore.

So, any ideas on how do i do it?

Is there any command i can send to the system (with programs like macro sheduler) to imitate fn+up?

I tried plugging in another keyboard and pressing up there and fn on laptop's keyboard but that didnt work, so it must be that fn+up combination is sending some distinct "button" signal.

Maybe there is some dell or other software that allows to change brightness of the display without the use of fn+arrow?

Thanks!

Verified Answer
  • Hissatsu,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

You can enter the bios at boot up by pressing the F2 key. From there go to the video section and adjust the brightness setting there to the max to see if that will resolve the issue.

#iwork4Dell

All Replies
  • Oh ye and i'm using Win XP

• You should be able to do it through the display properties ( in the control panel, or right-click on the desktop and open the display settings from there).

• Could you explain more please? Maybe a screenshot or exact buttons/tabs i have to press to get there?

In the display settings i have nothing about LCD brightness, i can launch nvidia control panel but it changes the brighness aka lcolor curve, not the brightness aka amount of light emitted by the LCD. For example. if i'd right now press fn + down repeatedly, the display would be very dull and changing brighness in nvidia control panel would never fix that ever. I need to change the LCD brighness.

• up, still need help

• Hissatsu,

Start, control panel, windows mobility center. You can change the brightness from there.

If the computer is under warranty, you can contact Dell Tech Support to get the keyboard replaced.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Hello.

What is windows mobility center?  I am on windows XP and i think it doesnt have a "mobility center"?

• Hissatsu,

Start, accesories, command prompt. Type

osk

Hit enter. This will bring up the on screen keyboard. You can use the mouse to control the brightness.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Unfortunately, that doesnt help, neither does plugging in another keyboard and pressing up on it and fn on laptop's keyboard. Fn key is not a modifier key like shift or ctrl, its a key that changes the scancode of the key that is pressed with it, so fn+up is sending some unknown scancode (not the codes of up button and fn button)

• up

• ..up?

• Hissatsu,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

You can enter the bios at boot up by pressing the F2 key. From there go to the video section and adjust the brightness setting there to the max to see if that will resolve the issue.

#iwork4Dell

• Thank you so much Jesee L for answering this!

Maan, it took five months to solve such a simple case! Stupid of me not checking the BIOS though.

However, just a day before i received the solution, i took a Russian approach - that is, plugged the up button out, and stabbed the plastic thingie that is supposed to register key press with manicure scissors, ravaging it until it actually made contact. The button wasnt working anyways, so it wouldnt hurt to lose it completely. Then i was able to return brightness to the normal level.

However, good to know there was a solution for the case when keyboard fails like mine did.

Stil.... took five months... damn :)