Clearing out my whole computer

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Clearing out my whole computer

This question is not answered

I have an Inspiron 1545 and I recently got a virus on my computer and after I got it off my computer I cannot put anything on my desktop.  I was wondering what you have to do to go back to how the computer was when I first bought it.  I am pretty sure I still have the CDs it came with but I am not sure which ones I need to do this.  I greatly appreciate any help I can get.

All Replies
  • Ctrl+F11 for Windows XP

F8 for Windows Vista or Windows 7

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - XP SP3 / Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7

• And this will erase everything and it will be like a "brand new" computer?

• It should be to factory settings. If you want to ensure there is nothing left over (and probably achieve slight better performance) follow my guide below a clean install of Windows Vista/Windows 7. Wipe with DBAN (left as an optional step) to ensure nothings left behind).

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.

• Thanks to everyone who answered I will try to get it done this coming weekend.

• So I tried the F8 and it brings me to a menu that has none of the above on it.  What do I do now?

• None of *what* on it????

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - XP SP3 / Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7

•  Two screens like this, tap F8 repeatedly should take you to here.

Then when you select repair my computer, you should have Dell Factory Settings/Dell DataSafe option at the end:

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.