Processor Upgrade for my Dell Inspiron B130 Laptop? - General Hardware - Laptop - Dell Community

Processor Upgrade for my Dell Inspiron B130 Laptop?

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Processor Upgrade for my Dell Inspiron B130 Laptop?

This question is not answered

I was wondering if you guys could help me with some processor upgrade questions I have.  I recently acquired an Inspiron B130 laptop and decided to try and speed it up a little bit.  I connected with a Dell Technician through Live Chat and they told me that the only processors compatible with that specific machine were the Intel Pentium 4 MT processors and Intel Celeron M processors.  I have googled Intel Pentium 4 MT processor and don't seem to be getting anything that says "MT" with it.  What does this MT mean?  Are there multiple types of MT Intel Pentium 4 processors?  I must have not asked him enough questions because as soon as he told me about those compatible processors, I told him I didn't need to know anything else... apparently, I was wrong.  Can someone help me find the right kind of processor for this upgrade job!?  Thanks in advance!

All Replies
  • Pentium 4 isn't supported.  Only some of the Pentium M CPUs will work.  If the system shipped with a Celeron, it's 400 MHz bus only - meaning you're limited to the Pentium M-400 bus.  The fastest of these was the Pentium M-765.

ark.intel.com/.../Intel-Pentium-M-Processor-765-%282M-Cache-2_10-GHz-400-MHz-FSB%29

Unless you find one that's very inexpensive, it's not worth the cost - the system is too old and other components such as the video chip cannot be upgraded to match the CPU.