Dell Studio 1558 - Strange Power Button Issue

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell Studio 1558 - Strange Power Button Issue

This question is not answered

Hi, I've just noticed today that while using the laptop the power button is blinking constantly. It never did this before as it was just a static light. When I put the computer to sleep it pulsates as normal. Does anyone know why it would be doing this and can they offer any advice as to why this is happening - is this potentially a problem?

Thanks in advance.

All Replies
  •  

Dell Studio™ 1555/1557/1558

Dell™ Technology Guide View Download (HTML, 4.87 MB)
    Dell™ Technology Guide View Download (PDF, 3.00 MB)
    Setup Guide View Download (PDF, 1.43 MB)
    Service Manual View Download (HTML, 2.82 MB)

Power Lights for Desktop Computers

CAUTION: Before you begin any of the procedures in this section, follow the safety instructions shipped with your computer. For additional safety best practices information, see the Regulatory Compliance Homepage at www.dell.com/regulatory_compliance.

The power button light located on the front of the computer illuminates and blinks or remains solid to indicate different states:

• If the power light is blue and the computer is not responding, see the Service Manual for your computer.

NOTE: On certain systems the power light is green.
    • If the power light is blinking blue, the computer is in standby mode.
    • Press a key on the keyboard, move the mouse, or press the power button to resume normal operation.

NOTE: On certain systems the power light is green.
    • If the power light is off, the computer is either turned off or is not receiving power.

• Reseat the power cable into both the power connector on the back of the computer and the electrical outlet.

• If the computer is plugged into a power strip, ensure that the power strip is plugged into an electrical outlet and that the power strip is turned on.

• Replace power protection devices, power strips, and power extension cables with similar products in known working condition to verify that the computer turns on properly.

• Ensure that the electrical outlet is working by testing it with another device, such as a lamp.

• Ensure that the main power cable and front panel cable are securely connected to the system board (see the Service Manual for your computer).

• If the power light is blinking amber, the computer is receiving electrical power, but an internal power problem may exist.

• Ensure that the voltage selection switch is set to match the AC power at your location, if applicable.

• Ensure that the processor power cable is securely connected to the system board (see the Service Manual for your computer).

• If the power light is steady amber, a device may be malfunctioning or incorrectly installed.

• Remove and then reinstall the memory modules (see the documentation shipped with your computer).

• Remove and then reinstall any cards (see the documentation shipped with your computer).

• Eliminate interference. Some possible causes of interference are:

• Power, keyboard, and mouse extension cables

• Too many devices on a power strip

• Multiple power strips connected to the same electrical outlet

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here:

Dell - Unresolved Customer Service Issues

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• Thanks but not sure why you've sent this? It's a laptop that I own.

The power button looks like this:

It has actually been fine today (a static white light as normal) but yesterday it was flickering on and off like it was about to go completely.

• I figured I'd bump this seeing that I just started having the same exact problem you described. Hopefully someone will know a way to alleviate the issue.

• If the power light is blinking white — The computer is in standby state or the display may not be responding.

• Press a key on the keyboard, move the connected mouse or a finger on the touch pad, or press the power button to resume normal operation.
    • If the display is not responding, press the power button until the computer turns off and then turn it back on.
    • If the problem persists, contact Dell

If the display is not responding and the computer is not in the standy state, it may be the video card or the monitor.

Connect an external monitor to the notebook and if it works, the video card is good.  If you do not get a display, then the video card is bad.

You also can hold down the D key and then power on your system.  If you see different colors showing up on the screen, then the monitor is good.

• The laptop is on and working fine, turns off and back on, etc., but whenever it's on the light flickers. Not a laptop-threatening issue, but I'll contact Dell nonetheless.

• Your power button is failing. This happened to me as well a few weeks before it finally broke.

• I have the same problem!!!.. what can i do? ...It coulb be fixed?, my buttom finally broke and i can't turn on my laptop.

• That's a much bigger problem. My problem was simply that the light on the power button would blink erratically while it was on, not that the button simply didn't function.

• Also, it went away eventually, I'm not sure why.