Inspiron 1545 - Error message during Boot Up

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Inspiron 1545 - Error message during Boot Up

This question is not answered

Have a 1545 Inspiron just out of warranty and it suffered a hard drive crash. Was able to do nothing to fix, neither restore to factory defaul nor use restoration dvd to repair.

Replaced hard drive and used restoration dvd to load windows 7. once win7 had installed, at the next boot up the system stalled after the Dell Logo/progress bar had completed; the following message was on the screen.

TOP LINE:                 DRIVE 0;             PRIMARY 00     VISTA/2008/7                NTFS               SYSTEM RES

BOTTOM LINE:        INSERT START UP DISK IN FLOPPY DRIVE AND PRESS F2 TO RUN SETUP

THE SCREEN WAS BLACK AND THE WRITING WHITE, WITH THE EXCEPTION THAT THE VISTA/2008/7 WAS HIGHLIGHTED BY A GREENISH BAR BEHIND THE LETTERS, THE NTFS WAS BLUE IN COLOUR AND THE SYSTEM RES WAS RED.

IT IS AT THIS POINT THAT THE SYSTEM SIMPLY PAUSES.

THE ONLY WAY AROUND THE ERROR MESSAGE IS TO SIMPLY HIT THE ENTER BUTTON; THEN THE SYSTEM BOOTS AS NORMAL

I have searched through the bIOS settings and cannot see an obvious reason for this to occur - ANYONE HAVE A SOLUTION?

All Replies
  • cjh652

I suggest reseating the hard drive, and then run hard drive diagnostics. Start the system while tapping F12 and choose diagnostics. If there is a error regarding the hard drive then either the new drive is defective or the hard drive controller is defective. If possible test the hard drives on another system; if they work fine there then you are likely looking at having to replace the system board.

If the diagnostics passed see if the problem continues, reseating the hard drive may have corrected them.  I also suggest installing all the drivers and see if that helps. The following link gives instructions on what drivers should be installed and in what order.

support.dell.com/.../document

You may also need to install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager. You can find that utility from the following link.

support.dell.com/.../download.aspx

I hope that this helps.

TB

(Liaison for Laptops, Mobile Devices)
    Look for me on Twitter and LinkedIn.
    #iwork4Dell
    Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?