XPS L702X integrated webcam stopped working and service tag not recognised

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

XPS L702X integrated webcam stopped working and service tag not recognised

This question has suggested answer(s)

After several previous dell laptop purchased over the years by myself and other family members on my recommendation, I decided to replace my ageing Inspiron. An XPS L702X from Dell outlet seemed to fit the requirements.

It arrived over a week after the original estimated delivery date, and a day after the 2nd revision of the delivery date that asked my to stay in all day, but OK.

I'm missing the scroll strip on the touchpad, the external button controls for audio/playback and the integrated SD card slot that were all on my old Inspiron 6000, but OK - they weren't on the system spec (seems like a backward step though when all other devices are moving to 'swipe' control).

After a couple of Windows updates the integrated webcam stopped working. There were a couple of USB error beeps and messages about driver not being installed correctly. I went into USB devices and it gives an Error 43 message. When I open Dell webcam central, it displays this message at the bottom "No supported Webcam connected". Tried uninstalling from device manager, and after scanning for changes it still isn't recognised.

I visited the support website, the system wasn't shown on my account. I entered the support tag - apparently the system was shipped to Sweden and doesn't have a warranty? I live in the UK! Tried updating the BIOS, and the USB controller, but no change.

Had to download these manually, Dell driver download manager wouldn't recognise there were files to download.

Doing a search on the laptop support forums for webcam shows that this is not an isolated problem, can anyone say if this is being addressed?

Dell support obviously hasn't improved since my last purchase.

All Replies
  • Tried updating webcam central, no change.

Beginning to think it's a hardware or connection probem with the webcam or a fault with the USB hub.

Too many similar problems on here to be a coincidence.

Time for Dell to let us know if they are addressing this.

• Tried installing a Logitech webcam, that downloaded/installed drivers and works fine on video central, skype, messenger etc. Looks like it is the integrated camera that is incompatible - and still no reply from my customer service query apart from an automated response.

This really is not good enough from a company that claims on their website to have a "customer-centric approach"

• Someone from Dell please help on this issue. I recommended this laptop to many of my friends and unfortunately for all of them webcam was not working. I found this post through Google. Signed in just to make this comment.

One small thing can ruin the entire product.

• The lack of support for this issue considering its frequency around the web is absolutely appauling!!

If I do not get a resolve to this problem I will be returning the laptop for a full refund!!

I suggest everyone suffering this problem forwards a copy of this thread and any others floating around.. along with a tastefully written complaint email to Dell to really make the point known!

I will be performing a complete restore to ensure that every aspect of driver/firmware issue is ruled out.. I am certain this is a hardware fault that results from a non compatible product!!!!! And I am begining to think that this may be an indication of what is to come.

As for the above mentioned 'tag' system .. not once has it installed correctly to my system.... neither would I trust its accuracy but I have to say a number of people warned me away from Dell for the very reason they have heard of people receiving 'refurbed' units sold as new items... now how true this is I dont know but for me my XPS showed signs of prior use with a mark and a raised section (((as though the casing has been forced over something pretruding slightly, below the casing))) to the metal keyboard surround... whether this is from testing prior to delivery I am not sure but I would be willing to put my salary on the fact that this computer was used prior to its receival.

Overall I am pleased with the system.. which is why I let slip the cosmetic issues (mentioned above) ....Heres to hoping for a good outcome!

• enbee07,

I am seeing many webcam issues with Windows 7 on all brands of computers, not just Dell computers.

Have you tried...

Webcam is not functioning

Installing Dell Webcam Central Drivers and some solutions were found and added here.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Thanks for the response.

While searching through posts I did see a number of reported issues across all manufacturers with regards to 64 bit.

As with any hardware software item it is never going to be limited to one manufacturer. The only noticeable similarity with posts I was reading with regards to xps cam issue was that 80% of people were reporting a fault where the camera had been in use and no system changes made..

I resolved this issue last night by removing and reinstalling skype installing the driver edition ending ...05 not ...11 after also performing a failed system restore.

I am overall happy with my first Dell pc but I consider myself a competent pc user with a good general understanding of the operating system.. Had this not been the case I believe I would have felt that horrible sinking feeling when all around seems to be going under with no foreseeable solution/outcome.

I reccommend people with the above issue first try a restore to a slightly earlier point.. check for updated software and roll back or remove and reinstall as with the driver..

My device was not even recognised in the D.Mgr ... its finally back up and running.

• I found the solution and fixed the issue - kinda.

If I half close the lid, the webcam just reappears in device manager and works again!

If I fully open the lid again, the webcam disappears.

Is anyone else seeing this? I have a new l702x.

Paul

• Paul,

It sounds like a wire is loose in the hinge area. If the computer is under warranty, contact Dell Tech Support.

Rick

#DellRockStar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

• I have the same machine and the same issues..it is not software, it is hardware.

Dell has field replaced my webcam once already, and now three months later it's not working again.

After an hour on the phone today, they will be setting up another field repair for the same problem.

I hope this is the last time because it will go off warranty with a known repeating hardware problem..

• i had this same problem

but i got resolved and my webcam is back to work again

this idea was given by PudgyOne from dell

follow this instructions as it is given

you will sure get it to work

1. Shutdown the computer.

2. Unplug the computer from the wall.

3. Now remove the battery.

4. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.

5. Put the battery back in and start the computer.

6. Now open webcam central and check out if it work or not

it may not work for the first time, try another time

regards

M.MAGESH

•   The Screen is Black, Blank or Dark  

A blank, black or dark screen can be caused by low light conditions or is in the wrong mode. Make sure to use the webcam in a well lighted area.

Start the Dell Webcam Central software, for more information refer to the How to Start the Dell Webcam Central Software section.

Make sure Capture Mode is selected in the lower-right corner.

Place something white in front of the webcam.

When the white object shows correctly make sure to use the webcam in a well lighted area

When the white object does not show at all, refer to the Troubleshooting Webcam Issues section.

When the white object is visible but the screen is dark, perform the following steps:

Click Settings in the upper right corner.

Move the slider bars under Backlight, Brightness and Gamma to the right to make anything in front of the webcam more visible. When changing these settings do not resolve the issue, Contact Technical Support.

i have tried this and it worked :D me so happy ^^

• I only have basic knowledge regarding technical aspect of operating system/softwares etc. but since getting that piece of junk made in ....I was forced to step up my game and learn (quickly) how to reset the whole system, download the whole lot and all within first 5 days of having that "great brand new machine" . It is worst than the ancient compaq and my previous Dell which I regret getting read off becaue upgrating to XPS was a bad, bad, very bad decision. I do not understand how this system works, camera stopped working just like that, in the middle of the skype session, internet security access is making decisions behind my back about sudenly not allowing me acces to certain websites which I had no problem viewing few days earlier. The system is full of junk yet I cannot allocate simple, old thing like bluetooth or even find out if it has it. I tried to download webcam software but I cannot get into my downloads account. I agreed to terms and conditions (whatever they are) pressed the big green button and NOTHING, won't let me in. I have already wasted hours on this issue. It shoudl be easy, 5 minutes to replace unworking webcam software with the new one...So why it takes me half a day and I am not even there yet? It was excactly the same struggle last time when, after 5 days of working the whole system crashed and there was zero help from Dell, they got their money and washed their hands of it. I had to figure it all out on my own and I am not good with technology. Joke,

I don'tt know what to do about that webcam, I wrote to them and I know I will get no assistance. They will ask me to go to my downloads which I cannot access...I am tired. Have better things to do on Sunday

• Margaret - Ireland,

Windows 7 is supposed to provide the webcam drivers for most Dell models, except a few XPS models. Go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag number, select your operating system. If your system has webcam drivers, they'll be listed under Input.

PLEASE READ AND ANSWER THE QUESTIONS THAT I ASKED, BELOW.

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system? If yes, did you install the drivers in the correct order? How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Try reading...

Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software

Also try running Webcam Diagnostics helps to tell if the webcam is attached or not. If you don't have the symptom tree, then go to Dell PC Diagnostics click on symptom, then webcam.

Did the webcam show in the symptom tree?

Any error messages?

Is the computer under warranty?

Rick

#DellRockStar