Installing SSD on L702x

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Installing SSD on L702x

This question is answered

Hi guys,

I am planning to get a SSD and replace one of my HDD on my XPS L702x. However, I saw lots of comments about problems after the swapping. Anyone has solution yet?

Verified Answer
  • Any SSD won't do.  You need one with Trim Support and you need to keep wear in mind.

TRIM support allows an operating system to inform a solid-state drive (SSD) which blocks of data are no longer considered in use and can be wiped internally. TRIM enables the SSD to handle garbage collection overhead, that would otherwise significantly slow down future write operations to the involved blocks, in advance.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here:

Dell - Unresolved Customer Service Issues

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

All Replies
  • Any SSD won't do.  You need one with Trim Support and you need to keep wear in mind.

TRIM support allows an operating system to inform a solid-state drive (SSD) which blocks of data are no longer considered in use and can be wiped internally. TRIM enables the SSD to handle garbage collection overhead, that would otherwise significantly slow down future write operations to the involved blocks, in advance.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here:

Dell - Unresolved Customer Service Issues

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• Thanks for the info SpeedStep. I was just a bit worry after I saw a post saying that installing a SSD and HDD on Dell L702x will make the laptop slower and less responsive plus weird noise coming out from HDD. It might be just the TRIM issue? I might give it a try after this.

• For anyone else putting in an SSD and/or doing a fresh OS install...

The FIRST thing you should do is BACKUP the C:\Drivers folder as place there by Dell.

I got an XPS L702x and immediately pulled the hard drives to put in Crucial 512GB SSDs and install Win 7 Ultimate.  I wasted a bunch of time trying to get the NVidia GE Force GT555M working, the RealTec Audio, and I was also experiencing the nasty screen flicker every 10-15 seconds.

As of 12/10/11 neither the drivers on the Resource CD nor the Dell Support site are updated to match the more recent versions used in production.  Some are simply not compatible with the hardware revisions in recently produced L702x's.

The Intel HD3000 and Nvidia drivers flat out refuse to install as the device IDs install are not listed anywhere in the .inf files for the drivers supplied.  The Cardreader driver installs but there are some threads out there attributing the the flicker to power management issues resulting from the driver for this device.

The BEST way to be sure you have working drivers for these devices is to COPY THE DRIVERS ACYUALLY USED BY DELL to setup the system.  These are in C:\Drivers.

Del will [hopefully] update the driver set available via their support site but until they do...  I STRONGLY encourage you to avoid the time waste and headaches I just went through.

• Your issue IT Consultant could be related to your Bios. I am using A14 and have not had any problems installing my Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD nor my Vertex 3 MaxIOPS. Initially my machine with A09 or A10 wouldn't properly boot nor would Windows 7 detect the drives, I think a mix of Dell's BIOS upgrades and ScanDisk firmware updates on the drives fixed these problems.

I just can't get my Intel driver to install... wondering if I am going to have to call Dell support!?