XPS 17 NEW adapter plug loose and falls out?!?!

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

XPS 17 NEW adapter plug loose and falls out?!?!

This question has suggested answer(s)

Recently purchased the XPS 17 laptop, and first thing I noticed when I plugged in the adapter is that there is entirely too much play, it flops down and has fallen out quite a few times already.  Have several other DELL laptops and those are still nice and tight even after years of use~ did they give me the wrong one??  I see no reason why a brand new plug/laptop should be this loose?

dhughes

All Replies
  • The plugs are loose this way when jerked from the side and the plastic is broken.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here:

Dell - Unresolved Customer Service Issues

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• Hi,

Welcome to the Community. You may have to have the motherboard repalced. Contact Dell technical suppor in your region as your under warranty.

Thank you

Royan

• If "recently" is less than 21 days from shipment, have the system replaced entirely - you have that right.

• it's brand new and was like this the day I first plugged the Adapter in~ nothing around it is broken...the plug just doesn't fit as it should.

• delivery was on May 18th, didn't unpack until later on~ and then didn't actually use it or set it up right away... then, came online to see if I could find out anything on it.  I have seen other posts from new owners that mention the same thing...but, last time I checked no one had replied to that post.

• Can you tell me the fastest way to do that...seems that when I go to find help or contact info I end up going in circles, which is why I finally came here to post.

thnx

• Which Country did you purchase the system from

Royan

• The U.S. I assume, I bought it here on this site.

• Call 1-800-624-9896, and punch in your Express service Code, which is on a sticker at the bottom of your laptop, to be routed to the XPS dept, or you can call on 1-866-566-2055.

Thank you

Royan

• Mine still does so after 3 AC adapter replacements and one motherboard replacement.  Never had this problem with any other Dell laptop I've had, and I've had 5 - including one with the same AC adapter.

• I have exactly the same problem.  The fit of the plug into the computer is loose.  In addition, the cord from the computer to the adapter is unusually thick and stiff, putting additional tension on the plug.  When I move or even slightly shift the computer I have to hold the plug into the back to prevent it from falling out.

Surprising to get this sort of simple malfunction from a mature company.  

• All computers have a % of total produced machines being duds.  Regardless of when it was purchased, you're likely still under warranty.  How about owners doing as the Dell rep suggested,  twice,  and stop complaining?

• I payed 1700 dollars for my laptop and the power adapter should not continuously fall out.  Dell needs to fix it, and as others stated replacing the adapter/motherboard is not a solution.  It is a design flaw.

• Not the first time I have heard that issue, we have had 6 Dell  Laptops, and that was always an issue, but not when they were new.

• As I posted earlier, this is my 5th Dell laptop and no other ones have had this issue.  Dell has sent techs out three times now and have replaced the AC adapters, the motherboard, the daughterboard, WAN card, the DVD drive (failed after 5 months), and just the other day the little plug the AC adapter plugs into and bottom plastics.  An hour after the tech left, the plug fell completely out again and later the same night it worked it's way out to where I got a "not charging" message.

Dell has been wonderful and they have offered a system replacement if the latest service call did not fix the problem.  Everything has been replaced on this laptop except the screen so I don't see where a system replacement will help.  As DRHODESUMR said, it's a design flaw.

Yes, we could "deal" by pushing the plug back in continuously or running on battery, but I shouldn't have to compromise on a $1,500 laptop that is not yet a year old.