Inspiron 1525 won't connect to the internet, please help!

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Inspiron 1525 won't connect to the internet, please help!

This question is not answered

Hi all,

I'm pulling my hair out trying to fix the internet on my laptop (I'm on the home pc now).

While my laptop will connect to the local wireless networks both at home and at college, it's refusing to connect to the internet at either location. And it's not the wireless at my house as we have two other laptops at home and both are connecting just fine. I've even tried plugging a cable into my laptop but that won't connect either, even though the same cable works on my Dad's Dell.

When I try running network diagnostics as well as suggesting a cable and that the problem may be with the modem, another option is to automatically get new IP settings for the network adapter, however while this says it is repairing for a moment, it always comes back and says this didn't solve the problem

I tried installing the driver from the Dell website for the Wireless 1395 WLAN mini card, however the first time I tried installing it, it failed, and the second time it said the system did not support it.

My Norton antivirus subscription expired 2 days ago, which is when this problem began, and I'm wondering would this be related to my laptops failure to connect to the internet? I completely uninstalled Norton and tried installing Microsoft Security essentials (using the home pc and a usb stick), but this too failed, as did an update for the Vista 2 service pack, which a microsoft forum said would be needed to complete that installation. I realize this may be off point, but I feel I've tried everything I can find on these forums and am getting paranoid.

I'd be forever grateful for any help on fixing this!

Thanks,

Sam

All Replies
  • Check your firewall settings. This is typically what causes problems connecting especially when you can't even connect with an Ethernet cable.

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7

• After removing Norton the only firewall I have left is the Windows Firewall, which says it is not running, and when I try to turn it on it says that Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall service...

• If you have other PCs connected to the same router, try to ping this laptop from those other PCs. That will tell you soon enough whether the firewall is up or not.

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7