The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. (XPS L701X)

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. (XPS L701X)

This question is not answered

SYSTEM SPECS...

DELL XPS L701X w/BIOS A08
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit w/SP1
Intel i7-840qm
Nvidia 445M (3GB Video Memory)
8GB of System Memory
( 2 ) 500GB Hard Drives

I have replaced the motherboard, cpu processor, wifi was upgraded, heatsink and fans were replaced, as well as the lcd to support my new wifi card. So I am not sure what the problem is. My computer keeps shutting down!

ERROR: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Soure:    Kernel-Power
Event ID: 41

What is the problem and how does this get fixed? I can tell you last night I left my computer turned ON like I always do. This morning when I got up, my fans were at its MAX, the laptop was HOT, and it was all locked up! I had to force it off and back on and then the Event Viewer shows this again.

I have already put the computer back to Factory Settings and no change. I tried to manually re-install Windows myself with all the most up-2-date drivers and etc and there is still no change.

What is the fix?

All Replies
  • Hi iamawb,

Sorry you are having difficulties with your computer.  If you've installed all the parts correctly, it's possible that when you did the reinstall, that the drivers may not have been installed in the correct order.  Please see this article here: 

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/downloads/en/driver_install_order?c=us&l=en&s=gen&~lt=print

If that's not helping, please contact me privately and I'll see what I can find out.

Regards,
    Robert

• Thanks for the reply! I called Dell, and they sent me a Dell Tech to replace all the parts in my system so it was not done by me. I did use the Dell Factory Recovery (Local DataBackup) and that did not correct it.

I did do a clean Install and in that order of the link you sent me which I found a long time ago so I always use that method. The good news is this problem is not consistent so its not driving me crazy as of yet. It only happened 1 time after my motherboard got replaced. I read online with others having the same issue, and one was from there anti-virus software. I use Eset Smart Security and its up-2-date and never been an issue on my end.

I also used to work for Microsoft so I know a lot about computers, drivers/software, etc. I am now an Online Computer Consultant and that is one reason why I find this so frustrating. There is no BSOD, and the tools that I would normally use to view those errors does not detect one even been made. I found on these Dell Forums that someone actually did see the BSOD, but was only after they hooked it up to there HDMI w/HDTV to see it.

SEE >>> http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19360884/19837762.aspx#19837762

I never know when my laptop will do this so I just cant keep it hooked up to my HDTV. I am 95% sure this was not the issue when it was running the BIOS A04. I am 95% sure it was after A06 came out when this started to be an issue.

Any help would be great!