DELL INSPIRON 1545 not booting up after DELL logo, Keyboard input is not accepting

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

DELL INSPIRON 1545 not booting up after DELL logo, Keyboard input is not accepting

This question is answered

Hi Geeks

My INspiron 1545 is not booting up...When starting it is showing Dell logo and it progresses..I can see right bottom the options Like F2 SETUP,F12 BOOT OPTIONS.

But nothing happening after this..I am getting a black blue mix screen with cuursor is blinking on the left top corner.  If I press F2 or F12 nothing is happening.  It is not accepting any inputs..

I am totally stucked..My laptop's warranty period is over and is loaded with Win Vista....I need your help

What is the problem and how can I over come this..Is this is a HD or RAM problem...how to take the HDD out of my laptop?

Please help

rgds

Ben

Verified Answer
  • Hi Rick

Thanks for your reply..but my system is  not accepting any keyboard inputs.  I tried F8,F2 and F12  but nothing is working..

I am not getting any options to  move to... even to BIOS...after the dell logo totally stucked...i am standing infront of closed doors!

Pls help

ben

All Replies
  • Ben,

You should be able to start the computer and press F12 at the Dell screen. Run the full diagnostics.

If you cannot start it, then try tapping F8, then click on repair my computer, try startup repair first.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Hi Rick

Thanks for your reply..but my system is  not accepting any keyboard inputs.  I tried F8,F2 and F12  but nothing is working..

I am not getting any options to  move to... even to BIOS...after the dell logo totally stucked...i am standing infront of closed doors!

Pls help

ben

• Ben,

Just a hunch. Do you have any usb devices attached, like iPods, etc? If so, unplug and try to start the computer. Remove all disks, also.

Do you have an external keyboard and mouse? If so, try them to see if you get the commands.

Did you add any hardware to the computer, like RAM, cards, etc?

Rick

#DellRockStar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

• Rick

I removed all usb's ,memory cards and stuff like..  i cleaned the heat sink and unable to open the Thermal fan..its too complicated...but any way I managed to enter in to BIOS and done the Diagnostics...it took around 1 hr and shown ALL OK..But still after the logo it is not detecting the HDD..i dont have any bootable discs...is there any solution..Is it a HD problem...I learned to remove and replace the HD...For the last three days I am behind this...is there any option?

pls advise

ben

• Ben,

You should be able to enter the diagnositcs by pressing F12, even if the hard drive is not working. How to Run the Dell™ Diagnostics Utility

Not sure what to try, since you cannot get in. You said you do NOT have disks, correct? If you're the registered owner and live in the United States, then Request Backup Disks USA The Dell Driver disk has the diagnostics program on it. You would have to change the boot sequence in the BIOS to...

CD/DVD Rom

HDD Hard drive

USB Removal devices

network

On the main screen in the bios, is it set to AHCI?

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Rick

I run the diagnostics by pressing F12 and seems to be ok...but the HD is not taking over from BIOS...i checked the BIOS it is AHCI only. From where I get a back up copy of Win Vista...to load to the cd and run the os from the OD

I think i am zeroing in to the problem but I dont have a back up copy to run from the OD

pls send me a link to download the win vista

ben

• Ben,

If you're the registered owner and live in the United States then...

Request Backup Disks USA

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Rick

I surfed through the link you provided and they all are explaining how to take the boot options from Dell laptop, where as in my case i am not getting any boot options.

Eventhough I have asked for a backupdisk from dell

Is it possible to connect my SATA HD thru a USB to any other computer?  How it can be done? I doubts whether my HD is in working condition

pls help me

ben

• Ben1960

Is it possible to connect my SATA HD thru a USB to any other computer? 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812123312&cm_re=sata_to_usb_adapter-_-12-123-312-_-Product

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - XP SP3 / Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7

• Rick

I bought one sata-usb cable and removed the HD from my notebook then connect to another laptop and showing all the drives in it.  I check the HD with CHKDSK then fixed some errors in it.  Then I connected the same to my dell laptop. but still it is not showing up anything.

what might have caused this error?definetly the HD is working but my dell lap is not detecting it...then I tried to connect the HD with the sata usb by changing the boot sequence to usb device...still it is not detecting it.

PLS HELP SOME BODY!

rgds

Ben

• Rick

I bought one sata-usb cable and removed the HD from my notebook then connect to another laptop and showing all the drives in it.  I check the HD with CHKDSK then fixed some errors in it.  Then I connected the same to my dell laptop. but still it is not showing up anything.

what might have caused this error?definetly the HD is working but my dell lap is not detecting it...then I tried to connect the HD with the sata usb by changing the boot sequence to usb device...still it is not detecting it.

PLS HELP SOME BODY!

rgds

Ben

• Ben,

Did you follow THESE INSTRUCTIONS? I don't see it in the instructions but some have an interposer that needs installed.

Not sure what to tell you. Diagnostics shows no problems and if the hard drive is installed correctly, then the operating system installed, it should work. If you press F2 and enter the bios is it set for ACHI?

Rick

#DellRockStar

• I am going to add to this to perhaps help anyone who, like me, is searching and comes across this post. I would say this applies to anyone who has the bios post problem where the computer shows the Dell splash screen and then goes to a cursor blinking in the upper left hand corner. Remove everything possible. This includes:

Hard drive, battery, CD/DVD drive, usb transmitter for wireless mouse, and the thing that fixed my issue the micro SD card adapter that had a card from a camera in it.  You could possibly also remove the wireless NIC card.

After removing all possible items, plug in the laptop and see if you can get to the Dell diagnostic program from setup on splash screen.

If the bios has a problem posting it should give an error, but as can be seen by looking at all of the posts on-line concerning this issue, it does not.