Forums

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell Inspiron 1420 Touchpad not working

This question is not answered

Hi,

The touchpad on my Inspiron 1420 is not working.  I have tried many things (including re-installing the driver many times) with no luck.

I was informed on another forum that it may be an issue with the "chipset" (because the touchpad worked when I ran Ubuntu) and was instructed to re-install that.

The problem is when I go to the drivers page for my service tag on Dell there are two listed chipsets without any specificity to which I need OR if I need both.  The Intel chipset says "optional" while the Ricoh chipset says"recommended".

To make things even more confusing, when I downloaded the Ricoh (recommended) chipset driver my computer informed me that the chipset I already have is the best one.

What should I do?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

AJ

All Replies
  • Hi AJ

The Ricoh drivers are for the card reader on your system and has got nothing to do with the touchpad. Intel Mobile Chipset is the one that you have to download. I have included the correct link for the same along with the touchpad drivers. Please install it in the same order and restart, that should fix the it.

Chipset : http://dell.to/dNtSFJ

Touchpad:http://dell.to/hoHphL

Regards

• So I downloaded these drivers in the correct order and nothing has changed.  I restarted my computer as instructed and my touchpad still does not work:( 

Do you have any other suggestions to fix the touchpad?  Is there anyway to diagnose the cause?

I just can't figure it out, and am unsure what to try next.

Thanks so much!

AJ

• AJ, you may have to contact tech support to get the hardware checked,  you can contact them over the phone or reach them out at www.facebook.com/dell or @dellcares on twitter.

I am sure we can get it resolved for you.

• The touchpad does seem to work sometimes and not others.  This makes me think the touchpad itself is probably fine.

Is there a fee associated with having tech support check the hardware?