Forums

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell XPS 17 (L701X) Bluetooth not workig

This question is answered

Hello everybody! Couple of weeks ago I bought my Dell XPS 17 so I am new here.

I have to say I am very happy with my new PC. Until I found out my Bluetooth is no working and in fact has never been working even when it was factory new. It is not displayed in Device Manager, there are no files/folders related with Bluetooth on HDD when I search. Though in BIOS bluetooth is enabled. At the beginnig I even thought that my PC has no bluetooth, but then I consulted User Manual and internet, which proved I was wrong. So I Tried to download DELL`s drivers for bluetooth:http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R280283&SystemID=XPS_L701X&servicetag=&os=W764&osl=en&deviceid=25181&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=5&impid=-1&formatcnt=0&libid=5&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=413960

But when I click on setup.exe a window shows up tells me to switch on Bluetooth (Wireless switch Fn+F2), but that changes nothing. This window remains and the installation is not continuing, as if Bluetooth switch isn`t working. Then I installed software and apparantly also the driver directly from win64 folder and it seemed to install everything. But bluetooth is still not working and does not appear in Device Manager, although I now have files in Bluetooth folder in Program Files. If I click on bttray.exe it is shown in Task Manager as a process, although icon does not appear in taskbar as it should be. So - still not working.

Of course I don`t have a need in bluetooth very often, but it is quite pity that something is not working on a brand new PC for which I have paid A LOT of money. Disappointing. :(

Can anybody help me? Nobody has had the same problem? Thanks!

Verified Answer
  • Martins

Thank you for the Service Tag information.

I am sorry to inform you that this system does not have a built-in Bluetooth card installed.

You can however purchase one. Give a call to Dell Tech Support and they will be able to give you the card compatible with your computer.

Forum Member Since 2010

All Replies
  • PudgyOne

MartinsAdins,

I just installed Windows 7 SP1, so my system information is smaller. I made my Bluetooth adapter in red. From what I see, I don't think one is installed and to take it apart to check to see if it's installed correctly seems to be a little procedure.

Well, since you said that maybe my PC may not have bluetooth mini-card, I googled a bit and found that bluetooth seems to be an optional specification and apparently is not includet in basic specs (entry level), even Dell setup guide says that bluetooth is optional. So maybe it is true, even if my laptop is almost the best you can get from Dell XPS. The problem is - I don`t have exact specifications for my laptop, all I can rely on is the internet or someone`s (your!) help.

But since I never had any folders/files related to BT on my HDD and no BT icons or anything, it is possible that I don`t have this BT mini-card. I don`t know, bet there should be a way to find it out, no?

Martins

• Martins,

I send a message to a Dell liaison. They make ask you to click on their blue username and then send the information they ask for. They can look to see what you have on your computer.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Oh, thanks! You  really are helping me out. I should buy you a drink. Unfortunately I am "quite" far away ;)

• Martins,

You're ONLY across the lake! Wink 

Rick

#DellRockStar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

• Martins,

PM me your service tag information and i shall look it up for you.

Thank you Rick for helping out.

Forum Member Since 2010

• Martins

Thank you for the Service Tag information.

I am sorry to inform you that this system does not have a built-in Bluetooth card installed.

You can however purchase one. Give a call to Dell Tech Support and they will be able to give you the card compatible with your computer.

Forum Member Since 2010

• OK, thank you!

And thanks everybody who helped me with this issue. Still - I prefer to know that I don`t have a bluetooth card than to know, that it isn`t working when it`s supposed to be. Thank you guys! You`ve been very helpful.

Bye!

Martins

• Martins,

Glad you found out you didn't have a bluetooth card, then to do the procedure to reseat it and find out.

Take care, fro the other side of the ocean,

Rick

#DellRockStar

• PudgyOne

Martins,

Glad you found out you didn't have a bluetooth card, then to do the procedure to reseat it and find out.

Take care, fro the other side of the ocean,

Rick

Thanks! Yeah, that was better solution than to mess with my computer and try to open it. Thanks for support you provided! As it turns out it`s cool being Dell user ;)

Good luck!

• Having the same problem. Please help.

Tried everything :-(

• Well, as you can see from this post, it turned out that my computer doesn`t have Bluetooth at all - it depends from the specific configuration of your machine. So I advise you to contact someone from Dell, they will check your service tag and tell you if your computer iis supposed to have Bluetooth.

Good luck.

• I too have been having the same issue and spent two days looking for an answer to why I can't enable Bluetooth...

Thanks for the info related to this issue...

I have now got over the Bluetooth issue by purchasing a mini USB Bluetooth dongle from one of the online Auction sites for  £1.15 inc. postage...

My L701X now has working Bluetooth!!!

I also purchased a Backlight Keyboard for £14.55 inc. which I have been trying to get for an age here in the UK from Dell with no success.

Both items are new and "Buy it now"