Screen is ghosting, fuzzy with fine flickering horizontal lines. - General Hardware - Laptop - Dell Community

Screen is ghosting, fuzzy with fine flickering horizontal lines.

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Screen is ghosting, fuzzy with fine flickering horizontal lines.

This question is not answered

My Vostro 1510 Win7 has worked perfectly fot he past 3 years but has today developed a screen fault. It now boots with a fuzzy flickering half black and white screen for a few seconds then returns to black before the fuzzy blue login screen appears. Everything else seems to wok OK, it seems to load and boot up but the display is now ghosting, i.e. double image, fuzzy with fine flickering horizontal lines. I ran the LCD BIST from the PAS diagnostics but this was no help and failed to give an error report. My first thoughts were faulty graphics card or virus. 

Any help appreciated.

Running Win7, A15 Bios, 3Gb Ram

Dell Inspiron N5010 - Intel i3 370 - 2.4Ghz -  Bios A12

3gb Memory - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit - 320gb HD

All Replies
  • Could it be the video flex harness needs to be reseated? If so, could some one explain the procedure.

•  

Hi Everest1,

Welcome to the Community. The below link has steps on how to reseat the flex cable.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

You may also want to update your video drivers, below is the link for that, you should find that under video.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&ServiceTag=&SystemID=VOS_N_1510&os=WLH&osl=en&catid=&impid=

Thank you

Royan

• Hi,

You didn't mention it, so I am just making sure you are aware that the Vostro 1510 is one of the models from Dell that was affected by the faulty nVidia  GPU's.

If you don't have an nVidia card or if the problem is not a defective GPU, noone ofthis applies, but it sounds like it might.....

Dell added one year to the warranty for this issue only, so if you had a three year warranty, this would still qualify for warranty covereage within that extra year. See this:

http://en.community.dell.com/dell-blogs/Direct2Dell/b/direct2dell/archive/2010/09/30/nvidia-gpu-update-nvidia-class-action-lawsuit-and-limited-warranty-enhancement.aspx

Also, this issue has already been through a class action lawsuit which is currently being settled. Details here:

http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/

Community Member Since 2003

• Hi and thanks for the info and advice.

It does have the Nvidia chip but when I plug the laptop into my desktop LCD monitor via VGA, I get a perfect picture. 

This makes me think its either the display or inverter.

• Even i am facing the same problem with my dell inspiron 1525 Windows 7 Ultimate

image gets stuck and flickers all the time . I ran all the diagnostic tests that were recommended on the site but still the problem is there .

Please suggest ..

• Hi Royan,

I have the same problem.
    The link  

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> 

is broken.... do you have the good link??

thanks
    Laxman