Dell Inspiron 1318 When Power button Pressed PC makes a Click sound and a blue Lock Shape shows up with # 9 init

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell Inspiron 1318 When Power button Pressed PC makes a Click sound and a blue Lock Shape shows up with # 9 init

This question is not answered

When I press power button on Inspiron 1318 the laptop makes a click sound and a blue lock symbol shows up with # 9 written in it , does any body knows what it means. The compter does not turn on. I have replaced the memory, the hard drive, the screen is fine, reset the C-mos but to no avail., I have a feeling that the computer locks up, but why and what is the solution ? Why is it going into lock mode.

Thank anybody for help

Art  

All Replies
  • I am sorry to read that you are having this kind of problem.  Hopefully we can get it up and running again.

Hook up an external monitor and see if you get any type of image on the external monitor.  Just to make sure that this isnt some type of problem with the LCD.  If the external monitor doesnt make a difference disconnect it. 

From your description with the number lock light lit solidly and none of the other LEDs lit, that could be a memory error. I would then remove the memory and see if you get any other patterns from the LEDs.  If there is no change then install one memory stick and reboot and see if there is a change.  If so move that stick to the other slot and see if there is a change.  Then swap out the sticks and try each slot with the other stick.   This way depending on how the system acts, you can test both sticks of memory and both memory slots.

For details on how to swap out memory here is a link to the service manual.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1318/en/sm/memory.htm#wp1180190

If it makes no difference how you place the memory then you can remove other devices from the system,  such as the hard drive, battery, optical drive,  any wireless cards or modems,  any pci or pci express cards, any USB devices and the memory again. Start the system up and see if there is a change?  If so then one of the other devices may be shorting out the system, return each item one at a time and see if you can get the system up and running.  Sometimes it is pretty easy to see if a device is causing a problem this way and you can just have that item replaced.  If after removing all the times and there is no change at all, I am sorry but at that time you may wish to consider replacing the system board.  Use the link above for further instructions reseating components.

I hope that this helps.

TB

• The lock symbol with the #9 is the NumLock symbol. Press the numlock key and see if that does anything. If you can get into the bios, see if you can do something there with the numlock setting.. Try booting to your OS disk. .

• Thank you very much TB, I have tried all of the above, I also think , its the system board, but wanted to get a second opinion.

• Thank you very much Mary, but I have all the tests recommended by TB and to no avail. it only come on for the fraction of second, you could see almost a very fast splash screen of Dell and then it shut down, The computer still makes sounds and fan comes on after a while and it feels like everything is working but nothing could be seen. Just the Lock Symbol with number 9 in it. I have switvhed the memory with brand new set, change the hard drive with a new one, taken out the Optical drive, Rest the Cmos and external Monitor, Every possible senario but nothing, I was just hoping that it is just less then 3 Yrs old , it might not be the system board. but looks like it is

Regards

Art

• I am happy to help.  Sorry to read that it looks like the system board has failed. Let me know if you require any further assistance.

TB

• Thanks a lot Terry, I would ,I am a tech for last 13 Yrs and every now and again I run into one of these problems where I like a second opinion

you been a great help

Regards

Art

• Same issue as noted above.  Any suggestions to repair, or is replacement of motherboard only option?

• Is my first time on these forums.

I have a laptop DELL Inspiron 1318 Model: PP25L.

I have remove the motherboard to check it.

When I press power button, just led 1 lit and off 1 second, don´t star fan the motherboard won´t start. I test whith other CPU and memory and continue the issue.  Sorry my bad english. I need help.

Thanks

• I had the same problem, its a bad System Board or Mother Board, you can read all the posts up here

Regards

Art