Inspiron 1720 Flash Cache Module help

Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Inspiron 1720 Flash Cache Module help

This question has suggested answer(s)

My vista home premium equiped 1720 is very slow both starting up and shutting down despite having upgraded to the max 4gb of ram + a 4gb flash drive assigned wholly/permanently to readyboost.
Looking on the owners service manual I saw a Flash Cache Module FCM listed but no part number, it fits underneath in one of the spare slots.
About a month ago I decided to email dell and find out about it (I have a nervous problem that means I cant use a phone cos I stutter & stammer too bad).

Anyway I couldnt get through at all until a week ago I accidently got hold of someone from the USA arm who stated that its a 1gb flash memory meant to help with vistas slow speed and that the part number is KX960, he was even able to take my service tag and confirm I didnt already have one.

With a hand from my US man today I got hold of a UK sales personand guess what, they've never heard of an FCM and the part number KX960 dosent exist (although an independent guy ex dell from the UK has confirmed its the correct number for an inspiron 1720 FCM !!). The service person was very nice but despite me explaining my phone problem could only advise me to ring up the technical support people AHH!!!!

So does anyone here know how I might go about getting hold of a dell FCM as dell uk dont appear to know they do one !!

This FCM is different fitting wise to the intel turbocache, which seem (I think ?) to go in side expess card slot and not underneath next to the WLAN space. Please advise if Im wrong.
They are both designed to do the same speeding up vist job so as I cant afford windows 7, I thought Id add both a 4gb intel turbo cache plus the dell FCM. Surely that would help start up/shut down times.

What does anyone think and can anyone help with the dell end, or should I just live with the open/close times and just read in the wait !! ?

Many thanks in advance, yours Neill

All Replies
  • If the system is shutting down sporadically, it's either overheating or something is wrong with the system or with Windows.  Adding a flash cache may mask some of the problem, but it won't solve it. 

Make sure the heatsink assembly is clean and dust-free - and that the fan is working properly.

• Sorry, I wasent very clear.

Everything does work ok, its just painfully slow to start it up or shut it down despite regular disk cleans, defrags, driver & bios updates, extra ram & the USB flash memory for the ready boost.
    I presume or so other people have suggested, that its a common vista issue, hence I was asking about the FCM & Intel Turbocache.

Really, would these 2 items work and if so how do I go about getting the dell FCM seeing as dell uks sales reckon they've never heard of it or the part number that dell usa swore was what i needed to get it in the uk as they are not allowed to sell it to me as dell uk see it as poaching,

Sorry for any confusion earlier

• I am like you and have been looking for a 4Gb FCM every where and all I could find was 2Gb modules but there are a lot of them on E-bay but I want 4 Gb and I cant seem to find that part anywhere even though I know it exists because its says I can add that to speed up start up and shut down but everyone tells me it was a short lived technology and that an SSD drive would be better for the money. Well unfortunately I dont have 179.00 to spend on a 250 Gb SSD when I buu 500 Gb SATA version 3 for 50.00 so I have 2 of them set up as my RAID which give me a total of 1 TB and it only cost me 100.00. But even a SSD is not the same as a FCM which as the name says it expands the Cache of the CPU to 4 Gb instead of 64 Kb and I dont think anyone in dell realizes thats a big jump in reality from 64 kb Cache to 4Gb cache. I dont know if this is of any help but I am still looking and wont give up till I find what I want if it stills exists on this planet. I think that was a great idea to allow a person to expand the cache of the CPU but who am I but someone whos built computers for 25+ years,,,

• Flash cache modules never saw wide support or distribution - they were far overpriced for the performance boost they offered.

SSDs at 256 G now routinely run  half of what you quote - and 512G SSDs are at the $150 price point.

Replace one of your hard drives with a 256 or 512 SSD -- or if you're willing to settle for flash-cache performance, with a SSHD hybrid drive.  The fastest you can get is a native SSD.

• Yeah I know it never really took off and being a builder I have looked for info on them every where because if I am not mistaken these are not like a HD at all and they are connected directly to the bus system and therefore they are accessed directly by the CPU taking their level L1 and L2 up to what you install in you Flash Cache Modules and thats even before it looks for all of your hardware so therefore it beefs up or in my terms puts your CPU on steroids because you cant get a CPU with 4Gb of direct access memory. Like I said there is not much info out there so I may be reading this all totally wrong but I hope not because my mother board is limited to 4Gb and everyone tells me to shuts some things down so Vista Ultimate 64B does not keep locking on me. I have dont the dell update and Windows updates NUMEROUS times and it says there is nothing wrong or missing from my softward or drivers,,,but I get the lock up on average probbaly 50 times a day. Being termially ill and disabled this has because my hobby of rebuilding older computers and when I find their max I give them to 1 of the grandkids and on to the next project. I have put a new CPU T9800 running 2.8 GHX,.,,4 gb's Ram 45ns,,,2 500 gd sata 3 RAID drives in it,,using all 4 USP ports plus a 7 port expander and an express card for 3 USB 3.0 and all are being used too. So I need all the power and help I can get from the CPU and yes I have monitores them with more then 1 program to make sure they are not overheating and everything checks out and looks fine other then the occassionall lock up and I cant believe it did not do it while I was typing this to you because it seems when I am doing something important is when I lose it all,,,LOL

• Dear NSHOTTER...the #'s for the Turbo Cache Modules are FW67Y for a 2 GB Module and trust me you dont want to even consider getting a 4GB even though you can run it I am thinking that not many of them was made because you can pick up the 2 Gb module for around 10 to 15$ US but when you look at the 4GB module it is priced at 175.00 and above. So with that in mind seeing as to how Turbo Boost was soon phased out I would say that the 4GB module was stopped and thats why they are so hard to find and you pay dearly for it. It seems a lot easier to get in the UK then the USA and you can go to and find it for around 150.00 and the # 42T0995 is for the 4gb module but like I said,,hang on to your hat when you see the prices.

• I've implemented the 2GB FCM on my wife's D830 and the benefit seems to only manifest itself in a slightly longer battery life (doesn't spin up the hard drive as much).  I don't know what or where you got your information about FCM affecting any other part of the PC aside from disk access, but it's wrong.

FCM, when it's activated using Intel drivers and configuration software (the ONLY stuff that makes FCM work), only affects ReadyDrive and ReadyBoost, nothing more.

Also, FCM only works on hard drives that DON'T have AF (Advanced Format 4K sector sizes). If you do try to run FCM on an AF drive, Windows Update and the BITS Service fail.

If you want a kick *** D830/630:

1. Penryn Core 2 Duo T9500, 800MHz FSB, 6MB L2.

2: A17 BIOS.

3. 8GB 2 x 4GB PC2-5300 (333MHz) RAM

4. Windows 7 64 bit.

5. SSD.

6. Blu-ray drive (XT409, slot load no tray).

I have the NVidia 140M (256MB VRAM) motherboard while my wife has the 135M (128MB VRAM) mobo.  Both can run Aero and play Blu-Ray movies and have reasonable graphics.

This thing keeps up with most modern laptops, is more physically durable and can play Blu-rays on the laptop or any HD TV (no 3D though).