Unable to detect the backlit keyboard by Dell quickset

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Unable to detect the backlit keyboard by Dell quickset

This question is not answered

I tried to set my backlit keyboard to always turn on because when I shut down or restarted the windows, the backlit will always turn off by itself and I had to press Fn+right arrow to turn them on again everytime

Then I've found this link

http://www.killertechtips.com/2009/04/10/how-to-turn-off-keyboard-backlight-in-your-dell-laptop-noob-tips/

But when I checked at mine, it had no Keyboard brightness option

http://www.thaidellclub.com/board/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=16297.0;attach=11118;image

And then I checked the DELL Quickset program in  c:\program files\dell\Quickset\ BacklitKB.exe

The error occured like the picture below

http://www.thaidellclub.com/board/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=16297.0;attach=11119;image

anybody please help!!!

thx in advance

Spec

Vostro 3400

Windows 7 ultimate x64

backlit thai keyboard

All Replies
  • Bumping your question for you, Having the EXACT same problems as you are.

Bought a backlit keyboard and put it in myself, updated bios, installed the correct version of quickset and it just doesn't work.

Would LOVE some answers.

• Hi,

Did you ever get a solution to this issue? I have a very similar issue on a Dell Studio 1555 with Vista 64-bit.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

• Have you set it to ON in the BIOS,after you set it exit and save changes,it should stay on?

E1705 T7400 2.16Ghz / Vista Home Premium SP2 / 17" LG WUXGA 1920 X 1200 / 4GB 667Mhz Geil Ram w/Heatspreaders / Western Digital Scorpio Black 500GB 7200RPM / 500GB 7200RPM My Book / Nvidia Geforce Go 7900GS 256MB / Toshiba DVD/CD+/-RW DL / Intel 4965 A/B/G/N / 355 Bluetooth 2.0+EDR / Pinnacle Pro HDTV USB Tuner / Pinnacle Ultimate HDTV USB Tuner / Sound Blaster Audigy Advanced MB / Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Audio Notebook / Logitech G51 Surround Sound Speakers / 2-NB-MA01 Notebook Coolers / 3D Mark06 5446 / Driver v.174.31 /

XPS M1730 Saphire Blue X9000 @ 3.2 / Vista Home Premium SP2 / 17" WUXGA 1920 x 1200 / Matshita BD\DVD Combo / 8GB 800Mhz Geil RAM / 500GB>200GB 7200RPM / 9800M GTX SLI / AGEIA PhysX Accelerator / Intel 4965 / 355 Bluetooth / 5700 Mobile Broadband / 3D Mark06 16250 /Driver 275.50 beta

XPS Gen 4 Desktop>being rebuilt

• Dell QuickSet doesn't look like it was installed in the image above. If Dell QuickSet is installed, you will usually see this...

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Thanks for your replies!

@ dgkpcon

I have the A12 Bios version, and I don't see any settings in there for the backlight keyboard. Its kind of odd, but if I unplug the battery and reset the laptop (press and hold the power button when battery is unplugged), then the backlight comes on when I turn on the computer. After that it never comes on again.

I bought this laptop without the backlit keyboard, but then decided to add it and I have connected both plugs. Would that change anything?

PudgyOne 

This is all I have, even thought when I installed the Quickset, it shows me the Backlight Keyboard feature. I don't even see the Fn behavior except for the bios.

• Whistler4ever,

See if this version of DELL QUICKSET installs and has the options.

Rick

#DellRockStar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

• Hi Rick,

Thanks for the link. I installed the new version of quickset and now I have Touchpad options. When tried to execute BacklitKB.exe, it gave me the unable message again.

I'm wondering if its something wrong with the motherboard or a firmware version.

Thanks,

Keegan

• In the BIOS it is listed as Onboard Devices>Keyboard Illumination.

E1705 T7400 2.16Ghz / Vista Home Premium SP2 / 17" LG WUXGA 1920 X 1200 / 4GB 667Mhz Geil Ram w/Heatspreaders / Western Digital Scorpio Black 500GB 7200RPM / 500GB 7200RPM My Book / Nvidia Geforce Go 7900GS 256MB / Toshiba DVD/CD+/-RW DL / Intel 4965 A/B/G/N / 355 Bluetooth 2.0+EDR / Pinnacle Pro HDTV USB Tuner / Pinnacle Ultimate HDTV USB Tuner / Sound Blaster Audigy Advanced MB / Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Audio Notebook / Logitech G51 Surround Sound Speakers / 2-NB-MA01 Notebook Coolers / 3D Mark06 5446 / Driver v.174.31 /

XPS M1730 Saphire Blue X9000 @ 3.2 / Vista Home Premium SP2 / 17" WUXGA 1920 x 1200 / Matshita BD\DVD Combo / 8GB 800Mhz Geil RAM / 500GB>200GB 7200RPM / 9800M GTX SLI / AGEIA PhysX Accelerator / Intel 4965 / 355 Bluetooth / 5700 Mobile Broadband / 3D Mark06 16250 /Driver 275.50 beta

XPS Gen 4 Desktop>being rebuilt

• Keegan,

That version was not for that model. I was surprised it installed. My recent computers came with the backlit keyboard. Is your computer under waranty? If so, wonder if Dell tech support knows of a version. If it's not under waranty, let me know and I'll see if I can find someone that may know the version of Dell QuickSet that supports backlit keyboards.

Rick

#DellRockStar

• My computer is still under warranty, so I'll try to get in touch with them and see if they can do something.

The backlit keyboard I got is C569K which is supposed to be the right one. I'll keep you updated.

Thanks so much!

• Sorry for my disappear for a long time,

I already asked SA Commercial Support  of dell and they said

"This Vostro Notebook 3400 working as per design, there is no hotfix or new version software due this model not support this function. Some other model like Latitude E series support this

You still able turn on the backlit by press Fn+right for this model"

That's mean you have take this mistake design by your own. No fix anymore for this issue from Dell.  That's all.

EASY ANSWER from high response huh DELL?? - -'

• Hi, Did anything ever happen with this?

I just literally bought a new keyboard off of eBay...paid £10 but they sent me a backlight keyboard by accident! (Bonus...maybe not)

My primary issues where that the keyboard mapping/config is wrong...there are a few extra buttons on this keyboard and they are not being recognised, I've updated to the latest BIOS and Quickset...the backlight lights up during a restart but has the same issues as listed aboute 'Backlight not recognized' 

Did you ever find a solution?

• Sorry Barnes,

Never got a fix for mine. Talking to Dell customer service to hopefully resolve the issue.

• I swapped out my stock one with a back light one and every thing works but the space bar. What am I supposed to upgrade the bios to and were can I find that from?

Steve

• did this problem get sorted?