Overheating problems with the inspiron 1764?

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Overheating problems with the inspiron 1764?

This question has suggested answer(s)

Hi,

I've had my 1764 running windows 7x64 for around 7 months now, and recentley it's either just been turning off without warning (I seem to remember that this was whilst watching a video), or recentely when I've had it on my desk  (listening to music with it plugged into external speakers, although this may just be coincidence), it goes to a coloured screen (I think it was a pinky blue, but I didnt see it for very long and I'm colourblind at any rate, hah) during this the speakers make a horrible white noise and the whole system is just frozen. I then have to just manually restart.

Occassionally before it does the laptop starts to give hints it's about to happen, certain crunching sounds or the audio just going funny in general.

It's just worrying me that this is happening more and more often it seems, and in a few months my warranty will be up. My only thoughts are that it could be overheating because it does get pretty hot, hotter than I remember my previous laptop. But perhaps it is something completely different.

Anyone got any ideas, or know anything about problems with this particular model?

Thanks alot

All Replies
  • The new fan has been installed and I am not having the problems any more. I watched the tech pull the laptop apart and there were two things I noticed. First, the pad that connects the heatsink to the video card was badly mashed so the tech said that could be one of the problems. I also noticed that there is only 1 fan on my model (Inspiron 1764) and the exhaust area on the heat sink had collected some serious dust bunnies, that was the main problem. I think that now I will not see this problem again for quite some time.

• Other than a failed fan, there are two usual reasons for a laptop starting to overheat. One is accumulation of dust bunnies inside which inhibit air flow. It is easy to clean out using canned "air" to blow the stuff. On some laptops, you can remove an access hatch under the fan to clean it even better. The second r\area is the heat sink. Sometimes they become loosened, resulting in poor heat transfer. Another problem is improperly applied heat transfer media that can degrade with time.

Viruses will not cause heat problems unless they cause the CPU and/or GPU to run at high speeds.

If too many programs are running at the same time, it is possible that they are overtaxing the cooling system. Go to msconfig and change the setting on the first page to Diagnostic Startup and restart the laptop. Then monitor the temperatures (use HWMonitor). and see if there is an improvement. If so, you will need to check all your programs to see if some do not need to run all the time; use Task Manager and study the Processes Tab.

What is your problems with the touchpad?

XPS M1530, Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit
    Inspiron E1705, Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit
    Dimension 9100, Windows 8.1 Pro 32 bit
    Inspiron 660, Windows 8.1 Home - 64 bit
    Compaq DX 4370G, Windows 8.1 Home - 64 bit
    Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 8.1 Home - 32 bit

• Hey guys,

I mentioned before that I've been having this overheating problem on my Dell Inspiron 1764 which started about 6 months after I bought the laptop and the problem has been getting progressively worse.  I was able to stop it for the most part by only watching movies and playing games (graphics-intensive processes) with the laptop unplugged which put it into energy-saving mode.  Then, that stopped working and the overheating problem happened ALL of the time.

So, I finally gave in and opened up the laptop all the way down to the fan and found the problem: a BIG dust bunny that was covering half of the fan exhaust port.  For those of you who are having this problem on your Dell Inspiron 1764, first I suggest installing a program called SpeedFan and set it up to alert you if the temperature goes above 75 C (under 'configure' > 'events').  My laptop always froze up when the temperature hit about 85-90 C.

Then follow these Dell instructions to clean out your fan (takes about 2 hours from start to finish):

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1764/en/sm/fan.htm#wp1179891

After I cleaned out my fan, my system runs normally at around 35-40 C and during games at around 50-60 C.  Haven't had a single freeze since the cleaning AND no need to send the laptop into Dell!  Unfortunately, I think this has to be done at least once a year to keep it nice and cool.

Hope that helps,

Michael

• My laptop went off to dell repair under warranty a couple of months ago, came back freezing seemed to had stopped I think they had just got any dust out of the fan perhaps. Anyway just a few months later its crashing even worse than ever, green screen, horrible noise, then forced reboot required whilst the bottom of the laptop is scalding to touch. I've been careful to only use it on hard surfaces and still it has ended up like this again, and now my warranty has expired!

Bloody annoying. Guess I could dismantle it to see if any hairballs around, but don't fancy doing that every few months, never had a laptop quite like this, the heatsink and fan design must be bloody awful

• I'm getting used to it by now... I open the thing up about once every 6 months and clean out the dust from the fan.  I really only do that when I have to... when the freezing/green screen come back.  If you want to try it out yourself, it's a pretty involved process (takes about an hour) but there's step-by-step instructions for the Inspiron 1764 on the Dell website here: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1764/en/sm/fan.htm#wp1179891

One bad thing I noticed... since this laptop has a tendency to heat up so much, my battery life has diminished considerably since I bought the computer.  The battery now lasts about 30-40 minutes unplugged. Sad

• I just cleaned it, quite an adventure, massive clump of dust blocking the fan exit, crazy......

It was only cleaned around 6 months ago by Dell engineer when it was under warranty, so looks like I'll be opening it up once every 6 mnths too.

Never had a laptop quite like it, my old toshiba never even got remotely hot and the fan was always pretty silent, wonder why this one gathers so much dust, or why it is more adversely affected by dust than usual laptops. Quite annoying because otherwise I think it would be a good laptop.

Not noticed anything about my battery yet, but I'll keep an eye out...

I might invest in one of those laptop 'lap desk' things with built in fan, maybe that will help I don't know.

• Is your computer still working fine michael?

I had the same overheating/freezing problem with an Inspiron 1764+ATI graphics as described in this thread.  I took my laptop apart and cleaned out a good sized dust bunny, but this only helped somewhat and the computer would still freeze if I played a demanding game.  

Then the other day it froze for good.  Now if I try to turn it on the power light and fan come on but the screen stays dark and it doesn't boot.  

I am out of warranty so if this is a motherboard then it's probably not worth fixing.

• Anyone here have an Intel 6200 AGN Wireless adapter?

I had mine causing processor spikes, causing overheating. I downloaded the new drivers from Dells website.

Went to start, control panel, device manager, network, right clicked on the 6200, then left clicked uninstall. It asks you if you want to remove and associated software with it. I clicked yes. When it was done, I restarted the computer.

Installed the new drivers. No more processor spikes and the computer runs a lot cooler.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Hey timit,

My laptop is still working fine, although like I said, I still have to clean out the dust about every 6 months or the overheating problems start again.

In my opinion, the problem you're having with your laptop not booting up is something unrelated.  Could it be that when you were putting your computer back together the first time you cleaned it out, a connection got loose to the monitor or video card?  I've had that same problem before with a different laptop, and it turned out to be just a loose cable... opened it up and plugged it back in and problem solved.

You can usually tell a motherboard or memory problem by a series of strange beeps that sound when you first start up your laptop... if that's the case, search for a fix for that somewhere on this forum.

Hope that helps.

• Michael,

Thanks for your reply.  This is strange.  I tried removing the RAM and powering on and got the expected motherboard beeps (so I guess the motherboard is still good?)  Then after reseating the RAM a few times, now when I boot the backlight actually turns on whereas it didn't before.  Still nothing happens after this, however.  

• I'm no technician, but I would still say that some cable is loose inside that connects either to your monitor or to the video card.  I'm almost positive it's not a motherboard issue.

When you have a couple of hours of free time, open it up to the point where you can see the connection from the monitor to the main body of the laptop and unplug, then re-plug it in.  Put in the battery and try booting it up (without putting back all the screws until you get the monitor working again).

If that doesn't fix it, try opening up a new post in this forum since it's most likely unrelated to the overheating issue.

Hope that helps.

• Well I tried taking off the power button panel and then reconnecting the large monitor display cable but that didn't change anything.  Is that the cable you were referring to?

• That's one of the 2... on the other side of your laptop, try opening the panel for your video card and make sure the cables are connected correctly there.  If that doesn't help, you should post a new thread to the Dell forum with the issue.

• THE SAME PROBLEM:
    I got the same issue, one day suddenly the system stopped working for some seconds while I was on the internet and getting worse. And while it was doing it the drive was busy, constantly reading it.

WHAT I TRIED:
    I had to go through all the threads in many of the discussion boards. I re-did heat sink clean all the fans and vents reseated all the parts and cables. I even disable the speed-step, this may have different name now, and ... I had the same issue.It was not the overheating issue nor any bad parts, or board seating issue.

RESOLUTION: THE CADDY
    In my case it was the hard drive caddy. When I was taking apart my laptop third time, it found the drive caddy doesn't look fit. When you put all the screws in it will make your hard drive twisted a bit. I had this type of issue long time ago with 3.5 inch hard drive with cheap desktop case. I put just two for the hard drive against the caddy, and another two for the caddy against the notebook chassis to avoid any possible twist by them, it should be four and four. And re-installed windows 7, from USB (15 mnutes ... cool) ta da~ the computer doesn't have the issue anymore.

THOUGHT:
    The neatly aligned drive caddy is important for this type of hard drive seating. Your drive could have been damaged physically, so you may want to try this with different one.

HOPE THIS HELP!

• Totally agreed, poor drive placement, ( any play or loosens after you install the drive and caddy back into the machine ) can cause a wide variety of issues. If you have any doubt about your drive placement, drive caddies are not expensive. The last one I bought I purchased from ebay for approximately $8.00 U.S.

As to the everyone posting with the overheating issues, I had very similar problems with my Dell Insprion 1764. Now I DO NOT RECOMMEND anyone who has a still valid warranty attempt this process. As I'm not sure if this would void your warranty or not

I actually removed the bottom 1/2 have of my case ( which for me was a very lengthy process ). Then took the case to a machine shop & had the cool air intake  ( the large slotted area )on the bottom of left side of the case expanded significantly. Also in the original intake area I removed  the small plastic piece separating every other slot. Creating larger holes for the intake to pull in cool air. Once complete I purchased 4 1x1x1 (inch) rubber spacers from a local craft store, and automotive glue ( because it can withstand high temperatures )  and glued one to each corner of the of the case. So that when put back together the computer would sit higher off the surface I placed it on. Allowing the newly expanded cool air intake work more efficiently.  Also a side note I specifically used  rubber spacers because I'm normally using the computer on a desktop surface, and the rubber helps prevent sliding.

Since the modifications I have never had any overheating of any type. Even with extensive processor usage, gaming, movie watching, and audio and video editing. The entire mod cost me aprox. $45.00 U.S. Now you will have to blow the vents clean a little more often, ( I do mine about 3 times a year, and I use my computer EVERY day ) but the benefits have far out weighed the extra work.  I hope this helps provide an alternative solution to those of you that may be still be having a heat issue.