What is Vista Business OEMACT and can I keep what I have?!?!?!

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

What is Vista Business OEMACT and can I keep what I have?!?!?!

This question is not answered

I recently purchased a laptop at a great price from a local hospital. These were surplus computers that the health care organization were putting up for sale. Computer is a Dell Latitude D530. I'm wanting to do a few upgrades to the machine since I got such a deal on it and have a little extra money to spend. One of the upgrades would be a larger/faster hard-drive, but here's my problem. This computer is brand new, in the box, never been run. It is currently running Windows XP Professional. However, the computer has a Vista sticker on the palm-rest, only came with a Vista Business 32-bit recovery disc, and has a Vista Business OEMAct COA and Product Key on the sticker under the computer. As it was new when purchased, I know it's not running a cracked or pirated copy of XP and it had to have come from the factory. Now, I have both a Dell Recovery CD of XP Professional and a burned Dell XP Professional w/ SP3 OEM ISO. I really want to continue running XP Professional on this machine after putting in the new hard drive as it's not up to running they system hogging monster and complete piece of trash that is Windows Vista. I'm afraid though that if I install this hard drive and go to install XP on it it's going to ask for a prodcut key I don't have since it's only got a Vista PK on the machine. Any advice on this one?

All Replies
  • It sounds like a business laptop purchased with Vista license but with XP downgrade. My department bought several like that about 18 months ago. These days it is Windows 7 with an XP downgrade. The XP is installed, but when you want to upgrade, you are legally able to do so.

If you have the Dell Recovery CD of XP, that's all you will need. You'll also need to locate all the drivers. Remember that driver install order is IMPORTANT.

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7

• As long as Windows XP is installed using the Dell XP Professional Disk, it should not ask for a product key when installed on that machine. A Dell reinstall disk combined with a Dell BIOS are generally pre activated, so no key is needed...

Assuming you used the Dell disk to make your SP3 disk, it should also be good to use.

I *may* be wrong, so see if someone else posts... But, worst case scenario is you'd have to slap your old hard drive back in, which just a few minutes of work on a laptop...

EDIT: Sorry IEEE... I type slowly.....

Community Member Since 2003

• hrova

EDIT: Sorry IEEE... I type slowly.....

why sorry? 

confirmation is always a good thing  Smile

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7

• So what you all are saying (just for clarification) is that if I take this here burned XP Professional Dell OEM ISO w/ SP3 I have that has never given me any trouble during installation (or even asked for a product key) on my Dell Vostro or Dell Latitude D830 machines (which are both running XP Pro and actually came with XP Pro COA's), then it SHOULD theoretically work on the Latitude D530 I bought with the Vista Business OEMAct prodcut key? And I use caps on  SHOULD because I know as a fellow computer enthusiast that technology is always a fickle mistress and doesn't always act like we think it normally would. HAHAHAHAHA!!! 

• What you say is correct... It SHOULD work...

We had acquired many laptops form my wife's work (purchased cheap before they went out to auction) and I have done COUNTLESS reinstalls on them (some laptops worked, some didn't, so I'd piece things together, but required a lot of troubleshooting and installing Windows, say after moving a hard rive from one model to another to test it...).... NEVER was I asked for a key or asked to activate Windows...

Good luck. Enjoy your new machine......

IEE: yeah, the same message from multiple people is good... Thanks.

• Sorry to keep bugging you, but I thought of another question. You said you bought many computers and tinkered with quite a few of them and were never asked for a key or activation. That's great. Did you happen to keep any of them for any length of time and encounter that annoying message a few months down the road saying the copy of Windows you were using was not genuine?

• Among the laptops...

I used an Inspiron 1100 for about two years. No isses.

I am now using a Latitude D510 - just about a year. No issues.

My wife uses a D630, just oer a year now. No issues...

Son usesINspiron 1150, about 3 years now. No issues.

We also did the same for some of her co workers, and I never heard back that there was an issue.

And, for the record, any of these machines that was asked to use the Wiindows Genuine Advantage tool passed that check as well. That did not come up much, but that is not an installation issue, rather Microsft basically just double checking.