E6500 fingerprint touch sensor.

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

E6500 fingerprint touch sensor.

This question is not answered

I have Lattitude E6500 with fingerprint touch sensor. OS is Windows 7 x86 (32bit)

Windows determines the device properly and the latest driver is installed. At the same time I can not use the sensor for windows logon - it's not recognized as Biometric device by window. I've reinstalled/upgraded everything including BIOS - it does not help.

Dell ControlPoint says, that i have to start security setup wizard. I try but got error message from "Dell Embassy Trust Suite by Wave Systems":

Utilization of the [Package Name] requires acceptance of the terms and
conditions specified by the EULA.
To resolve this issue, please go to 'Add or Remove Programs' and
uninstall the EMBASSY Trust Suite. After the uninstall is complete, you
may reinstall the [Package Name] and this issue should be resolved.
If this same message reappears, contact Customer Support at
http://www.wave.com.

I've reinstalled Embassy trust suite but it did not help.

My question is how to add finger print sensor in biometric device list???

Thanks everybody for any help.

All Replies
  • Quite an old topic. However, this might be an interesting solution for E6500 owners who have issues with the build-in Broadcom fingerprint reader.

My suggestion is: do not use the DELL ControlVault Application software. Use the Windows Biometric Framework instead. Here's how it worked for my Latitude E6500 (several reboots may be required):

1. Uninstall every software related to the fingerprint sensor. In my case I did a clean Windows 7 installation w/o any DELL drivers at first.

1. Download the latest Dell Data Protection | Access -- Driver Package. Do not search for it via the official E6500 drivers page but use Google instead. You'll find a link to a DELL.com download page. Install the software (although the E6500 is not listed as compatible). Install the software but select "custom install" and uncheck the "ControlVault" box during the installation process.

2. Update the ControlVault Firmware. Again, do not use the official E6500 version. Search for the latest firmware, in my case this was "DELL_CONTROLVAULT_A23_R309311.exe".

3. Install the Biometric Framework drivers. Again, do not use the official E6500 driver download page. In my case this was "DELL_CONTROLVAULT-WINDOWS-BI_A00_R308326.exe".

4. After installing the software, go to Start - Programs - Broadcom - USH Tools - Control Vault WBF and swith to "enable".

Now Windows should find a new device and when you go to system settings, biometric devices you'll see the sensor. Now you can register fingerprints for windows authentication.

• Tom_1000

Quite an old topic. However, this might be an interesting solution for E6500 owners who have issues with the build-in Broadcom fingerprint reader.

My suggestion is: do not use the DELL ControlVault Application software. Use the Windows Biometric Framework instead. Here's how it worked for my Latitude E6500 (several reboots may be required):

1. Uninstall every software related to the fingerprint sensor. In my case I did a clean Windows 7 installation w/o any DELL drivers at first.

1. Download the latest Dell Data Protection | Access -- Driver Package. Do not search for it via the official E6500 drivers page but use Google instead. You'll find a link to a DELL.com download page. Install the software (although the E6500 is not listed as compatible). Install the software but select "custom install" and uncheck the "ControlVault" box during the installation process.

2. Update the ControlVault Firmware. Again, do not use the official E6500 version. Search for the latest firmware, in my case this was "DELL_CONTROLVAULT_A23_R309311.exe".

3. Install the Biometric Framework drivers. Again, do not use the official E6500 driver download page. In my case this was "DELL_CONTROLVAULT-WINDOWS-BI_A00_R308326.exe".

4. After installing the software, go to Start - Programs - Broadcom - USH Tools - Control Vault WBF and swith to "enable".

Now Windows should find a new device and when you go to system settings, biometric devices you'll see the sensor. Now you can register fingerprints for windows authentication.

This totally fixed it for me.  When doing step 2, be sure to follow the installation instructions on the Dell page...there is a file you run inside the firmware folder and you have to search for it.  I followed these steps, even used the same files, and it's working perfect.  This is the ONLY solution I have found to making the fingerprint reader work on a Dell E6500 under Windows 7 64-bit!