missing driver for mysterious device?

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

missing driver for mysterious device?

This question is answered

Hi all

I seem to have a missing driver on my new laptop a Dell Studio 1745    If I look under Device Manager, Other Devices is showing an! .  Under Other Devices it shows an Unknown Device, this has a downward pointing arrow on it.  I tried update but it seemed unable to find a driver for my mysterious device.

The computer seems to work perfectly well so it is a case of “ if it isn’t broke etc....”

Any help or information on this would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Perky

Verified Answer
  • The device is some kind of motion detector.

I didn't have any trouble finding a driver. It was in the list of available drivers for my model when I entered the service tag.

However, you should be able to find the driver by searching Dell's site for:

ST Microelectronics DE351DL Motion Sensor

Hope this helps!!

• you need this ST Microelectronics DE351DL Motion Sensor

• This is the free fall sensor that prevents the laptop hard drive from losing data if it senses that it is being dropped.

Get Driver from Dell here:

ST Microelectronics Free Fall Sensor

All Replies
  • Perky,

When you're in the device manager, right click on the other devices and left click properties. What do you see under device description?

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• try driver max,it may help to find what the device is&find a driver for it.

• Hi guys thanks for trying to help.

If I click on properties of my unknown device I get a General tab with unknown device on it, that is it.  If I click on the unknown device and go to properties I get, under Details, Hardware lds. value ACPI/SMO 8800 and then under that *8800.

I think I should mention that the device is disabled at the moment.

Sorry, this is my first Dell and I am still finding my feet with everything,  what is driver Max ?

Once again thanks for the help.

Perky

• I had a similar problem and using windows update helped me fix this. Look in optional updates. For me it was some sort of infrared device. Hope this helps.

• The device is some kind of motion detector.

I didn't have any trouble finding a driver. It was in the list of available drivers for my model when I entered the service tag.

However, you should be able to find the driver by searching Dell's site for:

ST Microelectronics DE351DL Motion Sensor

Hope this helps!!

• you need this ST Microelectronics DE351DL Motion Sensor

• This is the free fall sensor that prevents the laptop hard drive from losing data if it senses that it is being dropped.

Get Driver from Dell here:

ST Microelectronics Free Fall Sensor

• @dbdwyer that link doesn't work.

Edit:

I think I have found the correct link:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/Product/studio-1558?driverId=3M7R0&osCode=W764&fileId=2731110111

• Hey guys, this was the driver version that worked for me (and apparently a lot of other people). Yes Hope it helps! Smile