ST1747: 7x Bios beeps - Core i7 throttling - too less A/C adapter

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

ST1747: 7x Bios beeps - Core i7 throttling - too less A/C adapter

This question has suggested answer(s)

more and more ST1747 users reports about reducted clock rates of their Intel Core i7, if similary their graphics adapter (ATI HD4650) is under heavy load! But the worse is yet to come, some Core i7 quits working, 7x Bios Beep, Game over, sudden death of the CPU! No

Update: the 7x Beep issue seems to be fixed since Bios A06!

UPDATE 03.2010: STILL OPEN ISSUES OF STUDIO 1747 / BIOS A07
if you have more suggestions for this list, don´t hasitate to inform/contact me!

►Core i7 Throttling
under simultaneous full load of CPU and GPU, Core i7 CPU throttles down to averaged 4x 1100 - 1400 MHz

►Performance between battery and AC power
most Studios runs with a bit more performance if only battery is connected

►Hot 90 watt a/c adapters
under fully load, the serially 90 watt adapter seems to work at/above its performance limit - temperatures over 70°C are not acceptable
 call your local Dell support for a free 130 watt adapter.

►Problems resuming from sleep and/or hibernate
if the 1747 "sleeps" more than 30-60 minutes it´s possible that it don´t resume anymore but turn it off&on "hard" by holding power-button

►Problems with playing FullHD-Streams
freezing/jerking, max. loaded and almost non-responding Studios if playing a FullHD-stream, e.g. Youtube
 possible solution, please look here. New Dell ATI driver in progress.

►Permanent running fan
fan starts causeless running at increased speed shortly after turning the 1747 on. Fan keeps blowing at increased speed, even if Windows boots all over and CPU idles - because of the still-blowing fan only at ~32° C. You can stop the fan only with a reboot or by stressing CPU - if temperature reaches 48°+C, fan slows down to lowest level. Turn off stress test, temperature drops below 48°C, fan turns off then. Confirmed by several users. 4 new users reported me this curious issue in the last few days!

►Too less temperature range for fan
fan needs an extended temperature range in office mode. At the moment fan turns on at ~53°C and off at ~48°C. That causes the fan to start&stop every 10-15 seconds, very bothering

►Cutted sound
If the IDT sound "idles" for a while and you play then any sound, the first ~0.5 seconds are cutted! This happens only one time, following sounds are played correctly! If you stop and wait a few minutes, the next sound after this idle time is cutted again

►Not enough power to USB ports and Firewire
There are pages upon pages of various users all experiencing the same issues.

take also a l@@k at German Studio 1747 FAQ @ Hardware Luxx forum | sorry for my rookie englisch! ^^

All Replies
  • I've found some interesting thing. HP produces Pavillion dv7, they offer a few CPU to choose and of course i7. I've noticed that they give 120W adaptor for i7 and 90W adaptor for other CPU's. 

• Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We’re currently looking into the issue and will update this thread when we have more information to share. In the meantime,  we encourage any customers experiencing issues to reach out to Dell Technical Support directly.

• Bill,

Thanks for at least acknowledging that Dell's aware of the issue. My computer still will not wake up properly from sleep.

Closed the lid on the computer over night.. the next morning you can't get the computer screen to come back on unless you hold the power button to reboot the computer. The first time this happened my computer died and Dell came out and replaced my Motherboard. It's still working. However tonight I will be calling Dell Technical support to discuss the issue. At that time I may decide to simply return this computer for a refund.

• Silly question but is your computer in hibernate or sleep mode when you close the lid?  I noticed the same behaviour with my Studio 17 but once I changed the power options so that it went into sleep mode instead of hibernate, I could start the machine up without issue - that is, until it died. :) 

• I do a complete shut down then close the lid.

• I think I've found a fix for the 7 beeps.

1. Take out the main battery.
    2. Take the plate off the bottom on the laptop.
    3. Take out the CMOS battery which can be found near the wireless card. (It's held down by double sided tape.)
    4. Wait a couple of minutes.
    5. Replace the CMOS battery.
    6. Replace the plate.
    7. Replace the main battery.
    8. Power up - You should hear 5 beeps.
    9. Power off by holding down the power button for a few seconds.
    10. Cross your fingers and power on!

• Hi, This problem is not confined to the 17 series 15's with the i7 cpu are having similar problems. As for the Dell rep! yeah right looking into it, as if that is going to happen. This issue should have been resolved ages ago, in fact Dell should not even be allowed to sell such a untested shoddy product.

Raz

• @Urzrkymn

in other words, you´ve tried this procedure and your Studio was "reanimated" and

works again since then?!? Stick out tongueBig Smile I guess then you´ll be the hero of all 1747

users worldwide! ^^ Can a n y "7xBeep"-user try and confirm this??

Urzrkymn

I think I've found a fix for the 7 beeps.

1. Take out the main battery.
    2. Take the plate off the bottom on the laptop.
    3. Take out the CMOS battery which can be found near the wireless card. (It's held down by double sided tape.)
    4. Wait a couple of minutes.
    5. Replace the CMOS battery.
    6. Replace the plate.
    7. Replace the main battery.
    8. Power up - You should hear 5 beeps.
    9. Power off by holding down the power button for a few seconds.
    10. Cross your fingers and power on!

• Studio 1747 i7 820 6GB 1080 screen 2x500GB Drives.

Running Prime95 and Furmark to max the system I get 90 Watts indicated on a Kill-A-Watt power meter.  The multiplier drops to 9x. (Multi should be 15x)

Running just prime95 with 8 threads I draw 85Watts and have a 13 multiplier. (Shouldn't this be 15x for an i7 820? if it was an 720 then 13x is correct!)

Running just prime95 with just 1 thread I draw 65 Watts and have a 21 multiplier. (Close enough to normal - should be 22x)

Idle at 35 Watts with 9x multiplier. (Normal)

All testing performed with brightness at max.

Looks like bios throttles the multiplier to keep laptop within a 90 Watt power envelope.

Atleast no clock modulation is taking place.  Also laptop temperatures are low, upper casing is v cool, under side is hot but the same as my old Sony Viao 1 GHz Duron - nothing excessive.  I7 reaches 78C which is well within the i7 max of 100C before auto throttling activates.  CPU idles at 50C, quite normal.

Regarding the 7 beeps - I only use hibernation so should be ok.

DELL =====>>>>> I want to use the power of the i7 820 to its fullest.  Give me a 130W power supply and modify the Bios if you have to, it'd be nice to have the 7 beeps of death repaired too!

Get a grip, or go bust and all lose your jobs.  Thats the reality, buyer power will come back and bite.

• well, since i haven't seen any 1557 people posting, i'll describe my situation, and please let me know if it's similar to yours:

after shutting the computer down, the system won't boot.  the power button turns on, but nothing happens.  the CD drive will spin up, but the screen won't turn on and it just sits there, not doing anything.  i spoke to Dell Customer Service, and the tech had me pressing down the power button and hitting the "Fn" button for a diagnostic, then hitting "F8" then another round with "F2" and still nothing.

the tech claims it's an issue with the screen, since the "Fn" diagnostic didn't show anything on the screen.  however, based on what you guys are saying here, the screen is probably alright, and the board may be fried, so regardless of the screen, there's nothing to display.

BTW, an annoying thing here: since the DVD drive is slot load, there's no way to do an emergency eject of the disk i have in the drive.  so i'm hoping i can at least get the disk out when the tech comes over.

i've had the computer since the 23rd, and up until now, i was very impressed, however, this sucks!

• Update 1: Spoke to another CSR now, and she reviewed the problems with the computer and agreed with me that the problem is not in the video, but that the motherboard is probably bad.  the technician coming over next week (part should arrive Monday/Tuesday to the tech) and will replace the board.  i'll probably return the computer at that point.

• I'm in the UK

Got the i7 720

1600x900 screen

hd4650

Got the 7 beeps this morning. I've had the laptop under 24 hours.  After reading the number of replies regarding this I'm not sure whether or not to ask for a refund or just accept a repair and see what happens.... :/  

• Came from NZ back to England for a holiday for a month, and got the family to order a 1747 (all standed specs) for me to take back, as Dell charge £1370 for the basic i7 model in NZ. When the computer arrived (only taking 10 days) the DVD Rom sounded like a old Epson printer, and it wouldn't come out of sleep (had to hard restart every time).

I called dell and spent a hour with the CSR who took over my computer and did NOTHING (other than update a drive that was already up to date), and then he told me he was sending around a TECH the next day (Christmas Eve) to fix the DVD Rom and that he was going call me back (in a hour) to check the computer restarted ok, manager got on the phone to confirm this, well.......

NO CALL

NO TECH

I called the next day and was told that there were "TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES" and that the tech was not coming until the 29th (no one called to tell me)

I was put through to Customer services and was told I'll get my money back.

The thing that really grinds my gear is that there isnt another laptop out there for price-spec.....

so its OFF TO DELL IN A HAND BASKET

• This has been confirmed to be a temporary fix by at least one user (divercriss) from the german hardwareluxx forum who was suffering from the issue.

• @ AX-Turbo : I took appart my laptop that had the 7 x beeps and when I put it back together it worked. The only thing I could think of was the CMOS battery.

@ Bobbsy : Thanks for confirming.