Need Dell Toucpad utility that works on Win7 64-bit OS

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Need Dell Toucpad utility that works on Win7 64-bit OS

This question is not answered

I upgraded my Dell Inspiron 1720 to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and everything works fine but I can't change the default scrolling options for the touchpad.  The default settings are driving me nuts because they are way too sensitive to the slightest touch and my thumb keeps brushing the pad when I type.

The Dell Support Drivers Download won't let me pick drivers by device so I can't find the right utility. It only lets me pick drivers by system and doesn't list a 64-bit OS option for the 1720. If I attempt to install the 32-bit driver (R165804.exe) then I get an error saying it is "not supported on this platform".

I downloaded and installed the 64-bit Synaptics TouchPad Driver for Windows 7 for an Inspiron 1750 (R230721.exe) and it installed fine but when I launch the Dell Touchpad utility (DellTpad.exe) the 'Scrolling Settings' and "Touchpad Settings" options do not work (nothing happens when I click the options).

Any ideas how I can get the correct utility so I can change the scrolling settings? 

All Replies
  • ColbyRingeisen

... when I launch the Dell Touchpad utility (DellTpad.exe) the 'Scrolling Settings' and "Touchpad Settings" options do not work (nothing happens when I click the options).

You shouldn't need to launch a Dell specific application/utility to adjust the touchpad settings?

Once touchpad drivers have been installed, you should be able to adjust various settings using the 'Device Settings' tab found in Control Panel/Mouse?

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
    17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
    4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
    DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
    640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
    8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
    Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
    Integrated 2MP Webcam
    Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
    Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
    TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
    4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

• Try using this driver LINK it is foer the Vostro 1720. It is Windows 7 32 and 64. It works fine on my Inspiron 1720.

Alienware Aurora R4: i7-3820, 8GB, 10TB of HDD, AMD/ATI Radeon HD 7800, Samsung 27" monitor

XPS 730x: i7 920,   Replaced with an Alienware Aurora R4

XPS 410: Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz (Q6600) , 6GB, EVGA 8800GTS 640MB,
    Single TV Tuner , X-Fi Xtreme Music, Logitec X530 Speakers

Latitude 10 Tablet

Inspiron 1720: T7500, 4GB, 120GBx5400, 120GBx7200, 8600GT, DVD+/-RW, Bluetooth,
    Windows 8.1

• Nope.  The Mouse Control Panel dialog has 6 tabs: Dell Touchpad, Buttons, Pointers, Pointer Options, Wheel, and Hardware.  The first one just opens the Dell Touchpad utility (the one that doesn't work from my original post).  The others are for a mouse and not a touchpad.

• dcgtls,

Thanks!  That worked.  It looks like the Inspiron 1720 needs the same  "Alps Electronics Co., Ltd." drivers as the Vosotro 1720 and not the "Synaptics" drivers used by the later Inspirons.

DELL,

If anyone from Dell is watching, the Vosotro 1720 touchpad driver R227995 needs to be added to the Inspiron 1720 driver list.  It is the only one that will work on an x64 OS on the Inspiron 1720.

• Hi, how are you,

this is alejandro, from Argentina.
    I have this problem too, and i downloaded driver that you mencioned, but with negative results.

Please, i need help with my Inspiron 17R 2011, i think is 1721.

I need disable the touchpad, because i use external optical mouse.

thank you,
    alejandro.-